“Not Michelin star quality”

Restaurant Yonemura Ginza
Ranked #811 of 8,010 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: French, Japanese, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Oslo, Norway
“Not Michelin star quality”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I chose this restaurant as I wanted to check out one of the more innovative restaurants in Tokyo. Unfortunately I cannot say Yonemura lived up to my expectations. I have also based my score on the expectations I have to a Michelin star restaurant.

The service was not impressive and below what could be expected on a such restaurant. Partly this could be excused by language skills, but in Japan I have felt far more welcome in places where the staff spoke no English at all. Except for one of the chefs who chatted a bit with us, the others barely smiled during our visit, which is quite unusual in Japan. The atmosphere in the restaurant was also a bit stiff.

Then to the food, which was not bad, but the good courses in the set menu were mostly good because of the product quality - foie gras and wagyu. The other courses were OK, but not memorable. The consomme, for example was good, but still fell short of a cheap ramen I ate at Gogyo in Kyoto. Unfortunately what I will remember the best from the visit was my first taste of sea urchin (sea urchin and octopus pasta), which has a very strong taste that could be compared to the smell of rotten sea when the tide is low, not to my taste.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank SindreN

Seattle, Washington
“The best of two worlds”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have had dinner at this restaurant several times over the past three years. It has always been a memorable experience; Yonemura is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. On a recent occasion, the dinner started with a set of interesting and diverse appetizers, deconstructed sushi, some unusual vegetables and mushrooms. This was followed by scallops in a unique combination with persimmons. Then a delicious beef stew that was melting on my tongue. A cold noodle course (not your usual zaru soba). Afterwards a bouillabaisse, the best I ever tasted. The main: superb filet of beef. Deserts of a quality to match the meal.
There are thousands of restaurants that try to combine Western and Japanese cuisine. I have never experienced a place that can do it so imaginatively, harmoniously and creatively. This is truly the best of both worlds.
Sitting at the chef's table and observing the preparation of the food is a must. The calm competence with which the courses are prepared is a pleasure to watch.
Yonemura is a popular place. Reserve early.

• Visited October 2013
Malaysia
“Gem in Ginza”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Although I forgot about writing it after we went in December, I can still remember that it is a must go-back restaurant in Ginza. It is located at the Barneys Japan. Reservation is a must. Highly recommend that you choose the chef table because you see them prepared your food in front of you. Nice decor and relaxing atmosphere. Service is great. Food is excellent (see pics) and good selection of wine. The only downside is that there were too many courses so we were over ate! No complaint though.

• Visited December 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Japanese fusion restaurant in Ginza. Executed with skill and care. Food is excellent, service is attentive - as one...”
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Japanese fusion restaurant in Ginza. Executed with skill and care. Food is excellent, service is attentive - as one would expect in Japan. Reservations essential!

1 Thank tanseaway