“Best of the best!!!”

Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Los Angeles, California
“Best of the best!!!”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This place is best of the best. Disregard any bad reviews. I makes me angry to see such stupid negative reviews about this place.

If you want to experience the best of the best, then you found the place. If you are concerned with price, you should do yourself a favor and skip this place. Our experience at Mizutani was truly an unforgettable and extraordinary experience.

Let me start off by telling you that you should not arrive late, be on time. Do some research on basic Japanese etiquette and on how to eat sushi. It's not that difficult, trust me. Be respectful to their culture, remember you are in their country, and as such, you should have consideration for their culture and traditions. (PERIOD)

Also, I must mention that this place IS NOT, I repeat, IT IS NOT IN THE SUBWAY STATION. It might have been at one point but as of this April 2012, I found it on the 9th floor of a building.

You will have a set menu and you should get about 12 pieces. You will start off with sashimi, then on to sushi and finish off with tamago. (and for God's sake, tamago is not supposed to be dipped in soy sauce, it's a dessert!!!) You will feel full by the 9th one. Once we were done, we found it very difficult to move.

Everything Mr. Mizutani gives you, you will love, even if they are things that you didn't like before or would normally eat. We hated uni, but did not dare refuse it when it was put in front of us. We simply looked at each other and ate it. And.... it was absolutely incredibly delicious! It was creamy, custard like in texture and even a little sweet. It was just fantastic. I've had uni before in good top restaurants in the past but never like it. This was an eye opener for me.

We had many other things, like: Aji (wow) toro (will blow your mind), red-shelled clam, Kuruna, and hamaguri..oh all so good. They will hand you and little pamphlet of what it is that you are having. And you will be amazed, every single time!

Skip this place if you aren't prepared to pay the price, it's expensive and they do not take credit card, but if you didn't bring enough cash, his helper will gladly escort you to the nearest ATM.

I recommend this place to anyone in search for excellent/extraordinary sushi. And I must clarify about a coment about this place not having ambiance: yes, there is ambiance! don't expect music and dancing but we meet three very wonderful couples, we chatted laughed and even Mr. Mizutani was laughing. I had an amazing time! He even met me in the back and took a picture with me. I think he was awesome!

If you ever read this, Mr. Mizutani: thank you for the memorable experience.

• Visited April 2012
8 Thank Pao C

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“It's the Sushi Stupid!”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Please discount the bad reviews here. There is ONLY ONE REASON to go to this restaurant.
SUSHI.
If you are a novice... save your money and go elsewhere. this place is for the refined Sushi palate.
If you want ambiance, fabulous service, variety... etc.... GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Hell, this place is in the SUBWAY for god's sake. Go somewhere else. You'll spend less and enjoy it more.

However.
If you really like good sushi. And you want to try the best. This is your place. 10 seats, no menu's. Walk in. Sit down eat what they serve.
What you'll get, is the best pure sushi experience. EVER.
'Nuff said.

• Visited April 2011
4 Thank Emdawgz1
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Superb”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

My wife and I have had several memorable sushi experiences. In London there was Yashin, in Toronto there was Kaji, but Sushi Mizutani was by far the highest quality sushi we've ever eaten.
To start with the small scale of the place necessarily creates an intimate atmosphere, with all the seats (I think 8-10) at the counter, overlooking the chef's masterful carving of the fish and seafood, and the delicate shaping of the rice. The rice is perfectly cooked and seasoned, and served delightfully between warm and room temperature. This allows for the flavour of the rice to shine through.
Next the fish and seafood are simply the freshest and most succulent we'd ever had, and each piece had the texture you imagine it always ought to have. I'll spare you the details, so as not to spoil anything, but I will say that the omelette was something akin to an egg mousse-cake. Unlike any Japanese omelette we've had before, and definitely something that will stay in our minds.
All in all I'd say we had 15 pieces of sushi, leaving us feeling full, but we topped up the order with a tuna maki roll. We also enjoyed two small bottles of cold Nihonshu with our meal. The bill worked out to what we considered to be outstanding value when we considered the quality of the meal (and indeed, to consider value without quality is fundamentally flawed).

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank veriloquus
sydney
“An experience to treasure”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I have to set this review in context of the fact that on the same day I ate at the New York Grill at the Park Hyatt for 1.5x what I spent here, so whilst Sushi Mizutani is expensive, so is Tokyo, and this restaurant offers an unforgettable food experience. In a Ginza backstreet, the entrance offers no hint of what lies ahead. At the door, the chef's wife who greeted us clearly thought we were lost, but that confusion was soon resolved. There is a set menu of, say, 15 nigiri based on the freshest fish and shellfish available that day. Several clams, abalone, mackerel, three grades of tuna, sea urchin, eel, salmon roe. In each case the freshness and delicacy of the ingredients has to be experienced to be believed. Tremendously friendly and welcoming experience even though little English is spoken and we were the only non Japanese speakers there that day. The chef was very interested in what my 12 year old son would make of the various nigiri as he served them, he toned the wasabi down for him and offered him extra nigiri of his favourite choice the mackerel. An extravagance, for sure, but an experience to remember and treasure for a lifetime - definitely!

3 Thank lindfieldfamily
Wormer, The Netherlands
“Amazing sushi for connoisseurs”
Reviewed February 26, 2011

This is the place to go for a once-in-a-lifetime sushi experience if you can appreciate the perfection. If you do not taste the difference between very good sushi (which you can get everywhere in Tokyo for a fraction of the price) and outstanding sushi, then stay away because you will be disappointed.

The sushi at Mizutani is simply amazing. Everything is perfect: the quality of the fish and shellfish, just the right amount of wasabi and soy sauce administered by the chef himself, the temperature of the fish and rice, even the service. The chef notices everything, for instance if you finish your glass of water he will immediately signal his wife to refill. Also the decor is very nice, understated Japanese with lots of wood.

Some of the reviews on this site are ridiculous, because they compare Mizutani to other *** restaurants. I fully support three Michelin stars for this restaurant, but we have to remember it is a sushi bar and not a restaurant. As a sushi bar, it is outstanding!

• Visited February 2011