“Good food, but too much food”
Review of Ginza Koju

Ginza Koju
Ranked #53 of 8,553 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The set menu for dinner was way too much food. but, all the dish were well prepared. If they don't serve that much food, I will have a better eating experience.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Koju (or Kojyu according to its website) is located on the 4th floor of a building on one of Ginza's high-end shopping streets. It seats eight at the counter with three additional private dining rooms. It offers a fixed 8 course menu for approximately $265 per person. High prices indeed, so is it worth it and does it deserve its 3 Michelin stars? Yes and no. The food is of a very high standard and the emphasis is on simple and elegant presentation of outstanding ingredients. Don't expect flashy, fussy food. The highlights for me were Japanese lobster with an apple vinegar jelly, unbelievably fresh sashimi (squid, tuna and swordfish), and a clear noodle soup with snapper.

Much of the food is prepared at the counter by delightful, knowledgeable staff who love food and who are happy to explain its preparation to visitors. There's none of the stuffy nonsense that often accompanies Michelin-starred food.

Having loved everything I ate, overall the place probably lacks that special "wow factor" that should be part of food at these prices. Reservations are essential.

Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Service and attention was great, we had a private room for ourselves. Food was great, although it was A LOT (green tea really helped)! Expensive though.... Worth it to have an authentic japanese experience

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We went there for lunch and were expecting great food because it was a three star Michelin restaurant and supposed to be the best of the best. However we left disappointed and a lot poorer.

We were seated at the sushi bar with a young chef serving us. When we placed our mobile phones on the sushi table, the waitress quickly came and put a cloth underneath so the mobile phones do not scratch it!

We started with Japanese crab meat with vinegar gelatin and seaweed, fresh abalone with eggplant and edamame puree, clear soup with shrimp ball and mushroom, wagyu steak cut in cubes etc. We also had a bottle of dry sake. The Japanese crab meat was good while the abalone was small portion compared to what I had two nights ago at another sushi restaurant. The shrimp ball was ordinary but the disappointment was in the quality of the wagyu steak. It was not as soft and good as the previous two times I had it in Tokyo a couple of days ago. For a three Micheline restaurant, I had expected better and for the price I was paying

Maybe if I had not visited Sushi Hitoka (03-6447-9544), my view could have been different. But paying almost the same price for lunch versus dinner at Hitoka with much more food, much better quality and four bottles of limited edition sake, Koju loses to Hitoka unanimously. All my three friends with me concurred.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Food was well prepared and delicious.Even though I prefer less solty Kyoto cuisine,
I do not think anyone will de dissapointed here. It is the most expensive among casual counter style restaurants. I would pay the same amount of yen or a bit more for genuine Japanese dinning experience at a Ryo-tei with ambience.