“Great location, reasonable rate”

Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Marunouchi
Ranked #11 of 78 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Modern hotel. Stayed here on a business trip. Great location beside Tokyo train station and within walking distance (reasonable fitness level) of Ginza and the Imperial palace. The room was fine - I had a double (2 twin beds) - not massive of course, but not ridiculously small either. Very clean bathroom and well stocked with toiletries. The restaurant on 27 th floor was ok - breakfast had a wide choice in buffet from cooked breakfast, pastries, fruit, cereals etc. had dinner there one night and the quality was very good. Restaurant prices were expensive but that seems to be the way for Tokyo.
Not much to complain about.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed March 3, 2012

I've stayed at some great hotels in Tokyo -- this can't really be called a great one, but the location right next to Tokyo station is ideal if you're on business and trying to get around the city for meetings. Also handy for the airport train to Narita. Don't bother with the hotel restaurant, neither breakfast or dinner were good. Rooms OK.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for two nights on business and found the location exceedingly convenient, adjacent to the Tokyo Main station, allowing me to travel to/from Narita by train rather than the exhausting airport limousine bus. The modern, expansive hotel lobby is on the 27th floor of an office high-rise with the rooms rising above the lobby overlooking a central atrium. The stratospheric, disconnected space seems like a scene out of 'Lost in Translation' and the rooms are typically small, like most in Tokyo, but with very nice views. Moreover, the staff are exceedingly accommodating and in large number, always ready to resolve problems and provide local travel information. Breakfast was very good and utilizes the hotel restaurant space with 270 degree views of the downtown area. Overall a very pleasant stay with no concerns. I'd gladly return if I needed to be in that part of Tokyo, which is otherwise pretty sterile compared to Roppongi and other more animated neighborhoods.

1  Thank hepadoc
Reviewed February 27, 2012

This is my first trip to Tokyo for business or pleasure. The first 2 days I stayed in the Courtyard Marriott in Ginza, now I am spending the rest of the week in Marunouchi at the Hotel Metropolitan.
The facilities at the Hotel Metropolitan are definitely upscale. The lobby is gorgeous with an interesting model train exhibit in the center and towering walls all around. The staff are quite helpful and very polite.
I dropped my bags off the first day before I went into the office for work. When I checked in, my bags were already in my room waiting for me. Nice touch. Check in was painless and the staff seemed helpful in an "we are an upscale hotel" kind of way. Meaning they were helpful, but seemed to make a point of being otherwise occupied.
I had expected a small room (standard double bed). While very nicely decorated, my room is tiny. The bed is a normal double bed against two walls. The foot of the bed is 2 feet from a wall and the side of the bed is about 3 feet from the other wall. The bathroom is small enough that I can reach out the length of the room and touch both walls. However, the heated toilet seat is nice. While small, it is nicely furnished and leaves nothing to be desired. The room in general is very clean and modern. The chair at the desk is a very nice office type chair that I dont mind sitting in to do some work in the evenings.
Pillows...Would it hurt to give a guy a little more pillow? The double bed has 2 pillows on it, each one about the dimensions of a legal pad and about as thick as a 2x4.
No ironing board: Really? Neither an ironing board nor an iron are in the room. My clothes were severely wrinkled after my travels, so I called down to the desk to ask if I could get one. They delivered the board and iron within minutes... But gave a strict time limit. Apparently there is only one that the entire hotel must share.
No wireless access except in the lobby. I forgot my power cord for my laptop in the office the first night, so I needed to use my tablet to respond to some emails. I attempted to log in to the wireless and it was password protected. A call to the desk informed me that wireless is only available to those on the lobby floor, but I can use the business center on the 28th floor. I went to the lobby and the greeter provided me with the wireless key and all was good. I have not tried wireless in my room yet...But since there is a little signal and my room overlooks the lobby, I am hopeful.
Business center: I went in to try a computer there. 100 yen for 15 minutes on the computer. BTW: it has no virus software and is running Windows xp. Not sure if its even got the latest service packs for the OS or not. My company's VPN would not allow me to sign in due to the out of date OS, browser and no Virus software. Printing will cost you a few yen per page too. I would avoid having to use the business center, and expected more from a hotel of this scale.
Compared to the Courtyard? In terms of "upscale" this hotel is much nicer. It has an aire of class that the courtyard does not. In terms of value, the Courtyard has my money. The room is larger, the pillows nicer and the amenities are better over at the Courtyard. The staff seemed more helpful at the Marriott as well. Unfortunately, the Marriott is a 15 minute taxi ride (approx 1200 yen) from the office. Whereas the Metropolitan is across the street.
Overall, I would probably stay here again. I would just know where to put my expectations. The location is great, but they leave a bit to be desired as far as amenities go.

1  Thank Ken R
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Very good location. expensive, resturant not very good, breakfast very expensive and poor value for money, room clean but very small, no drinks in a very very tiny fridge.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, but view very good.
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Metropolitan Maranouchi about 1 year ago and yet again, January 2012. The hotel staff was as solicitous as before and my previous review is still valid. Two updates:
(1) The hotel has become incredibly popular; it was much busier than when I stayed 1 year ago.
(2) The hotel - still chic and hip - but needs to re-do the carpets in the guest rooms. They are starting to show wear - which was not evident 1 year ago.

And, they still need a gym!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FinickyTiredTraveler
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Stayed here a couple of times now whilst on business trips to Tokyo. The Hotel Metropolitan Marunouchi is in an ideal spot for exploring Tokyo being just a few steps from the Nihonbashi exit of the vast Tokyo central station complex. Very handy for trains to and from the airport, the Tokyo Metro and Shinkansen lines.
Rooms are spotlessly clean, although a little small (but typical of Tokyo hotels). Staff are friendly and helpful and breakfast is fairly good.
Apart from breakfast I've not eaten at the hotel resturant as it seems a little pricey for dinner. Good Japanese and Western-style food can be found amongst the multitude of restaurants within the Tokyo station and shopping complex next door.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank right01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
The Tokyo Station Hotel
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Park Hotel Tokyo
Park Hotel Tokyo
#7 of 117 in Minato

Been to Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Marunouchi? Share your experiences!