“Better the second time”

The Peninsula Tokyo
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Admittedly I only passed through for a night, but during my first stay I found the Peninsula to be awkward and off-putting. The presence of the breakfast and tea lounge in the entranceway is an odd layout, and the hotel seemed overly somber in decor and lighting. I arrived late and left early, which in and of itself is not conducive to developing fully informed view. However, some months later I returned for a four-day stay (i.e. availability at other hotels over a weekend was limited) and I became a big fan. The Peninsula this time seemed to me an idyllic spot with a host of comforts I didn't previously appreciate. The rooms are spartan and modern (I had a junior suite with a nice sofa, work area) with easy to use conveniences for setting temperature, lighting and operating the shades. Plug outlets were universal, although I would have appreciated a plug next to the bed/nightstand for charging my phone nee alarm clock. The closet area is enormous with ample storage for unpacking and repacking. Services are moderately priced such as laundry, which is important to me as I dislike being nickled and dimed to death. The spa facility is truly first class with a wonderful steam/sauna facility and an ample pool for those who like to swim laps on business trips. Service is of course first class, and the location is ideal for both access to Ginza and other areas of the city. Although the food is quite good - as you would expect in any high-end hotel in Japan - I found the lack of variety in the menu disappointing. The room service is a bit short on traditional Japanese fare and lacks any asian foods (e.g. singapore noodles, a laksa or nasi goreng, perhaps a lo-mein dish or a bibimbap), while the Japanese breakfast is repetitive (i.e. same fish for three days in a row, though I am sure it was because it was in season). The western options are a bit unimaginative (i.e. I recall the international trifecta of hotel food: caesar and/or cobb salad, bolognese pasta dish and a burger among other expected fare). With such high quality establishments nearby, I wouldn't expect the hotel to stake its reputation too much on its kitchen, but with 3 am jet lag, I would have liked some more choice. But overall I find the Peninsula to be a wonderful establishment with all of the conveniences and comforts you should expect. It is both modern and classy, the staff is helpful and communicative and the services are wonderful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Peninsula Tokyo

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I dont have a lot to complain. the facilities inside was the second best I found in tokyo probably after Shang Ri la in tokyo. The only thing i didnt like about this place was that there is no lounge bar I can have a meeting in the morning (i.e., lounge is small).

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank QualityMattersMost
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed for 1 night at the end of my Tokyo trip in a Deluxe room. Staff were polite and welcoming but a little surprised that they did not call me by my correct title when they checked me in. Was taken up to my room by a lovely gentlemen who carefully explained all the many techno gizmos in the room.

Room was well furnished, a lovely large space, comfy sofa, big flat screen TV, separate dressing room, and lavish bathroom with separate shower and small TV (albeit a tad disappointing that I could only find Japanese channels)

But it was the little extras which really made the room, more bits than any room I have ever stayed in, a traditional tea pot, headed note paper and colorful postcards, lovely bath products, an extensive amenities kit, a laundry/newspaper chute, even a peninsula cocktail stirrer!

Pool and Jacuzzi was a real highlight for me especially as the room has a great view.

Got a deal that included breakfast - chose Japanese breakfast which was delicious and beautifully presented.

Top tip - no need to pay high end mini bar prices. Just across the road is a 7-11 which is well stocked with all the snacks and beverages (including wine and beer) that a person could wish for.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Short break without the kids...

Pros:
- Fantastic service
- Fantastic room
- Fantastic location (if you want to be in Ginza... Great connection to various lines)
- Next to the Imperial Park (nice for a run... and upon my return, the hotel had a towel and bottle of water waiting for me at the enterance)
- Lots of good Japanese food nearby... The small restaurants by the train tracks offer a good glimpse of local lifestyle

Cons:
- The Peter bar was a tad disappointing... If only they had an outdoor area

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank liws21
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My husband and I took a short trip to Tokyo for his 32nd birthday last May. Knowing we would not have too much time to see and do (and eat!) as much as possible, I trusted the Peninsula to point us in the right direction and provide a comfortable resting spot in between adventures.

The Peninsula did not disappoint. They were able to get us a last minute table at Narisawa and also booked us into an exclusive sushi joint where we were the only westerners in the restaurant-- definitely the best sushi we ever had. They also gave us a ride to my husband's dinner in the house Rolls Royce.

Our room was lovely and quiet and a nice escape from the chaos of Tokyo and the bathroom had all the bells and whistles you expect from a 5* resort in Asia. The service was superb from the front desk who were always happy to help retrieve jewelry from the safe to the spa attendants who were always ready with water to the concierge who always knew the best way to get us around the city. I should mention that one valet in the garage went out of his way to help us find the subway station when he realized we had made a wrong turn.

Finally, for those of you planning a visit-- do not miss the small but excellent thalassotherapy pool in the spa.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay for our first visit to Tokyo. Central location, right above a subway stop, beautiful, new, great service, and great views. One weird thing about the hotel is its entry lobby; we couldn't find the reception desk upon entering the hotel for the first time. The main focus of the lobby is the lobby restaurant (which is packed for afternoon tea), and this huge odd sculpture. For such a nice hotel, staff wore polo knit shirts, which (not that it impacted our stay at all!) seemed a little casual. Service was great. Rooms were beautiful, plush, and modern with high tech features and controls. We went to the Peter bar upstairs twice, and the views were beautiful (though, in my opinion, not quite as beautiful as those from the Mandarin's bar and top floors!). We could certainly highly recommend this as an amazing stay, but when we visited the Mandarin for dinner and drinks, we had a bit of hotel envy. As westerners who wanted what we imagined to be a Tokyo feel, the Mandarin seemed to fit the vibe a bit more... As you would expect with a Peninsula, the hotel has a bit more of a business vibe.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Worktravelgal
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Understated, elegant design but, as with all truly exceptional hotels, it is the team that makes the difference. Helpful, genuinely friendly and all consummate professionals. And with a great sense of humor to boot! Lovely big bathroom and dressing room, rooms comfy and roomy. Perfect location. Can't recommend highly enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Olga888
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Conrad Tokyo
Conrad Tokyo
#1 of 112 in Minato

Been to The Peninsula Tokyo? Share your experiences!