“Stay at the New Otani”

Hotel New Otani Japanese Garden
Ranked #4 of 340 things to do in Chiyoda
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Nothing special about the hotel - it's connected to an office tower and there are restaurants here, but like all hotels the restaurants cost more than many other places to eat.

1  Thank jp2005

Reviewed December 27, 2011

The New Otani is as big as a small town. 20+ restaurants (try Ransen if you have big budget), small supermarket, post office, , pharmacy, book store, clinic, gardens, fashion boutiques, art galleries; you could check in an never leave the grounds. Room rates are usually 20% less than comparable hotels. If you can find the right deal worth trying.

3  Thank KenS8888
Reviewed December 14, 2009

As others have said, this hotel is a sprawling complex with a shopping mall and three separate towers of rooms. However I thought it was laid out rather nicely, and did not find the size to be a problem. The lobby is very nice, and the service was excellent throughout my entire stay. There is a beautiful Japanese garden you can walk through. All-in-all, a very nice place to stay.

I am giving it 4 stars (instead of 5) for several reasons. First, the room itself, while nice and big by Japanese standards, was nothing special. (I may be a bit biased here since I had just come from a different hotel with nicer rooms.) Second, the hotel is expensive: I was particularly shocked by the in-room Internet that cost about 50 cents per minute(!) but the restaurants are also expensive .Finally, and most problematic for me, the location of the hotel was not great. I did not find it to be close to any sites I wanted to see, nor was it particularly close to good restaurants or night life. (It was, however, easy walking distance to the Akasaka-Mitsuke metro station from which you can get elsewhere.)

In summary, this is a perfectly good place to stay but you may want to see if you can find a better deal elsewhere.

1  Thank JKDC
Reviewed October 25, 2009

We stayed here for one night at the end of our visit to Japan. I had stayed here previously when in Tokyo on business and it was lovely to return. We stayed on a Saturday and the hotel was very busy - as mentioned by other reviewers it's a huge place. Great location, gorgeous gardens. Our room was large and very well appointed with a big luxurious bathroom. Extremely helpful staff. We had dinner in Koto's - their Japanese restaurant - which was outstanding.

Reviewed October 19, 2009

This is the largest hotel in Japan, from what we've read. We stayed there for three nights upon arriving in Japan in September and the night before we left. Our room both times was spacious and comfortable (a Deluxe room in The Main at 45% off "in honor of the hotel's 45% anniversary"). The bathroom was excellent, with a separate shower and one of those heated Toto toilet seats that does perhaps more than it needs to. There were many good restaurants in the hotel, plenty of high end shopping (hard to resist sales on black pearls) and a travel agent who spoke enough English to get our train arrangements made for quite a bit of travel. The location is perfectly fine, on top of two subway stations and many intersecting lines, and not far from the Imperial Palace. I'll admit that there aren't as many tourist attractions and outside restaurants in the area as in some other districts, but it wasn't exactly a big deal to hop on the subway and go to Joel Robuchon or someplace for dinner. I'm sure there are other hotels that are more intimate, but we never got a sense of how large it was once inside. Overall, we felt it was a very good value and would happily return.