“Authentic Japanese home cooking”

Buddha Bellies Cooking School Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 14 Food & Drink in Chiyoda
More attraction details
Owner description: Japanese Cooking School inTokyo-learn how to make sushi, Bento Box, Okonomiyaki(Japanese pan cake) with us!Instructed by English speaking instructor.Our classes provide you intimate, cozy and friendly atmosphere, guided by a Japanese instructor who speaks English fluently. Also the kitchen is in the heart of Tokyo-easy asccess.Surely the experience of making sushi, bento, noodle etc...will give a certain spice to your cooking at home! This would be the best souvenier for you to bring Japan home. We ensure memorable moment while you stay in Tokyo.
Bargara
“Authentic Japanese home cooking”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had an absolutely fabulous evening preparing Japanese Nabe (Hot pot) dish. Our teacher gave us a wealth of information about Japanese ingredients and how to prepare them in a very fun and relaxed environment. 2 members of our private group don't cook but they loved doing the class! The reward at the end of the evening was a scrumptious meal that hopefully we can recreate at home!
I highly recommend spending 2-3 hours of your time in Tokyo learning about Japanese cooking :)

Visited March 2013

Upland, California
“Great alternative to tourist traps”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I were on our honeymoon in Japan and when we travel, we like to try to do as many different kinds of activities as possible. This class was right up our alley. We chose the udon class and it was a great experience. I'm 3rd generation japanese and have never liked udon (at least the udon we get in the states) but Ayuko did a fabulous job changing my mind. She made the class fun and engaging and made sure we had all the info we needed to recreate the dishes at home. The cooking room was beautiful and had lots of great books on Japan and japanese cooking. Ayuko even answered some of our sillier questions about japanese culture and superstitions that we were dying to ask. Highly recommended. My wife and I will be back to Japan and to her sushi class as soon as we can.

Tokyo, Japan
“Homemade Udon - Yummy!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Me and my boyfriend are living in Japan and wanted to try out some Japanese cooking. As a start we thought Udon would be good as not too complicated. So we booked a lesson and were enjoying 2.5 hours introduction to Japanese Udon cooking as well as other interesting information on Japanese cooking. Ayuko is a great teacher and we liked the nice atmosphere with all the books surrounding us. Time was flying and the self-made Udon and Teriyaki Chicken tasted very good. All in all I would definitely recommend this school to anyone looking for an introduction to cooking some of the most popular and well-known Japanese dishes.

Toronto, Canada
“Fun and easy”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Ayuko is a great teacher, made the class fun, non stressful, and easy. Even as a non-cooker I was successful. My cooking Wife aslo had fun. Would be happy to do another class,

Visited February 2013
“Demystifying Japanese Home Cooking”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I'm a big fan of Japanese cuisine. Although I cook regularly, I've never attempted Japanese staple dishes because the cuisine's techniques, ingredients, and cooking ware seem to be in a world of their own. So, when I had a free day during my visit to Tokyo last week, I thought I would take a cooking class.

The choices for English-speaking, Japanese cuisine cooking classes in Tokyo are pretty limited (at least from my online search). I found a few specialized schools for soba or sushi-making but are mostly catered to professionals and priced as such. While a couple of others mostly featured international cuisine. I think Buddha Bellies fills a niche that you can't really find in Tokyo for approachable instruction and introduction to basic Japanese dishes.

I had a great experience with Ayuko, who runs Buddha Bellies. From start to end, Ayuko was very attentive and accommodated every need. I had emailed Ayuko with rather short notice to inquire about fitting me into a course with 1-day schedule. Not only was Ayuko really prompt with her responses, she offered to hold a private Bento Box lesson for me since I couldn't make a group class. During the lesson, Ayuko provided a clear overview and went through the steps in detail for each dish I was going to make. I was pleasantly surprised how hands-on it was with Ayuko watching by my side and on occasion taking over to show me an alternate way of doing something. The most endearing part of the lesson was when Ayuko switched to instruct me in Japanese after she found out, through our conversation, that I was currently studying the language and had very little opportunity to speak it where I lived. I really appreciated the thoughtfulness and patience!

Overall, I found the lesson very insightful with good tips that I've incorporated in my attempt at Japanese cooking at home. Besides the lesson, Ayuko shared cultural insights (including how to make, serve, and drink matcha) as well as shopping recommendations for good quality food products and cooking ware (from a foodie/local's perspective). Finally, the place where the class was held (in a personal library of English books on anything Japanese) was such a treat. It truly felt like you were learning to cook in a friend's home.

I'll be back soon and have convinced my boyfriend to join me in the next class!

Visited February 2013

Been to Buddha Bellies Cooking School Tokyo? Share your experiences!