The East Gardens of the Imperial Palace (Edo Castle Ruin)
Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience The East Gardens of the Imperial Palace (Edo Castle Ruin)
from $13.70
from $306.04
from $45.68
1,847 results
All reviews east gardens imperial palace ote mon gate edo castle otemachi station cherry blossoms free entry japanese garden gardens are beautiful sunny day stone walls nice walk open to the public busy city peaceful place few hours the hustle and bustle
Reviewed March 9, 2019 via mobile

We stretched our legs here after arriving in Tokyo. It was free and it was great to get to be in the open air. We did get to see some early blossom. We enjoyed the walk and views looking back on Chiyoda-Ku-Ku. The garden is lovely.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed March 7, 2019

After reading of the Imperial Palace and its gardens, we were expecting more than what is on offer. Yes, the moat is impressive as are the defensive walls made up of huge stones but, unless we missed something, the gardens were not impressive. Nor was there any access point to view the palace externally; it is totally understood that the palace is rarely open to the public.

The visit was just at before the start of blossom season so that might improve this so called attraction but you could probably spend your time more beneficially by doing something else.

Reviewed March 6, 2019 via mobile

I went here expecting to see the Imperial Palace that appears on all the online maps. But once you get there — no palace. Just some ruins and lots of dormant landscaping. Yes, it’s only early March but I expected to see more here. My favorite area was the Japanese ponds, plus a couple of early cherry blossom trees. My least favorite was seeing garbage floating in the moat, and the masked Japanese woman who accosted me for somehow impeding her while I tried to get a photo from a stepping stone. It was the only act of rudeness I experienced in Tokyo.

Reviewed March 5, 2019

This was a good walking tour of the Palace gardens, and we enjoyed it. However, It was quite busy and the arrangements at the start of the tour took longer than we had hoped, but they have certain security details to go through first. We were sorted into groups with different languages spoken by the guides. We had to walk quite a way. but it was easy and they didn't rush us. Only some areas of the gardens are open to the public, which I understand but it is still disappointing. I'd have liked to see much more.

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed March 1, 2019

Although you cannot get into the Imperial Palace, you can walk in the gardens just outside the palace. The gardens are very relaxing and you can sit down and watch the world go by. Well worth a visit.