“The best service that I have ever experienced!”

The Tokyo Station Hotel
Ranked #3 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Hong Kong, China
“The best service that I have ever experienced!”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I am now back to Hong Kong with a lot of treasurable memories of Tokyo and this beloved heritage hotel, and in particular, the wonderful hospitality that have been given to us so generously by the team there. We stayed here for four nights druing the Christmas time. Marie Antoinette Mori san who's the Chief Concierge of the Hotel has been leading her team to the highest standard on earth. She speak excellent English and her team as well so no worries on communiation in Tokyo nowadays. Whatever you can think of, whether it is before the trip of druing the trip or even after the trip, they will do their best to help you. Words just can’t express how we appreciated and how we were touched towards all that have been given to us by the team.

We asked for a lot during and well before the trip happens back in summer this year. We asked them to helped us to pre-book quite a number of restaurants during Christmas time and they did exactly what we wanted (of course with some limtiation due to the restaurant themselves that can't promise a window seat during the peak Christmas season), and all those restaurants offer fantastic view over all the different illumination druing Christmas time in Tokyo.

Also a big thanks to the team in helping us to pre-arranging the skytree packages for us which allow us to go up to the top in the very morning without queuing up at the ticket counter, and so lucky we also have a fine weather that day morning, and we, as the early bird, did get the worm to have the luck to see the Mt. Fuji on the skytree top, with excellent visibility. It was really our luck to have them to arrange all these for us.

We also purchased a total of six packages of different products from the amazon.co.jp and asked them to deliever to the Hotel before we check in. The team in the Hotel just followed very closely on all my purchase ordered and inform me promptly whenever any one of them has arrived, giving me the greatest level of peace of mind.

And of course I have to mention the Strawberry Cake, and top grade fresh strawberry and the Champagne that have been pre-arranged at our request were all wonderfully prepared, and the team was so thoughtful that they included a molten chocolate bath for our strawberry without us asking for such in advance! We did have a very joyful and excited Christmas Eve that night, thanks to all of their hard work in getting us to this point.

The hotel itself was the best heritage hotel that I have stayed in so far, though the room is of a smaller size but with the limitation of the heritage building itself these are surely one of its own characteristic. The shower and the water pressure were both excellent and very comfortable, the rain shower was the best that I have used ever, with the powerful waterfall engulfing your whole body, and you never want to get out of that rain shower for sure once you are in. The temperature control of the shower was as precise as you want, with every little turn of the temperature knob it gives you a very precise change in temperature, it was so comfortable.

Our last minute (really a last mintue as I only asked for that the day before our departure to Tokyo) request for a hotel transfer was also arranged flawlessly and that have enabled us to reach to Tokyo downtown much earlier than planned and allowed some free time for us to have a drink on the 7/F of New 丸の内 building before coming back for the in-room Christmas Eve celebration.

You won't be disappointed with all these and I would highly recommend anyone travelling to Tokyo to consdier this Hotel. They are located right on top of the Tokyo Station, a station that could lead you to anywhere in Japan as it is the mecca of all trains in Japan. The sound proof of the room was really good given the proximity of the heavy train traffic just downstair and I can tell you that you won't feel or hear the train noise at all.

The bed sheet was smooth enough, the bed was about right (though not the best that I have tried before), and there was free wi-fi, an i-phone dock (for those who use galaxy, you can jsut purchase a samdock, which I did, from amazon which will give you the access capability to use the i-phone dock same as if you have an iphone), the temperature control was excellent as well. There is also a humidity control unit which you can use to add on some humidity to the room as it would be dry in Japan during winter time. There were two bottles of chilled complimentary water in the fridge for you to use. There are just so many that I can't list them out one by one and you have to try this and experince this wonderful experience while you are in Tokyo.

I didn't use the spa and fiteness facilities so I cannot comment on those but I have taken a quick view of the site which is very good indeed. There are also a lot of restaurant of the Hotel in B1F that you can try.

For sure I am totally satisfied with this Hotel and next time if I am in Tokyo for an overnight stay, this one would be my top choice.

Room Tip: try to ask for a room that is close enough to one of the exit that lead you to the outside, otherwis...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HKA_888

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed December 29, 2013

On a recent trip to Tokyo, I was fortunate to have the choice of staying in top hotels in the city.

Tokyo probably has more luxury hotels than any other city in the world and any of the top level hotels would have been great. Plus, this being Japan, the level of service is unrivalled. No other country comes close.

However, I didn't want to stay in yet another generic 5 star hotel in a shiny gleaming skyscraper (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I wanted somewhere with character.

And so I booked into The Tokyo Station Hotel.

Believe the hype, believe the reviews, believe the ads - it really is truly amazing, extraordinary and an experience to remember.

The interior design looks like a classier, more understated Gatsby aesthetic of Art Deco mixed with modern sensibilities. I had the Palace side Queen sized bedroom on level 3 and it was beautifully and stylishly furnished. And the bathroom - the most amazing bathroom I have seen, with a huge bath separate to the shower area (the wet section of the bathroom is enclosed in clear glass). Toiletries are Gilchrist and Soames, like Shangri-la.

Located directly above the Tokyo Station, a stone's throw from the Imperial Palace and the Marunouchi district, ten minutes walking distance to Ginza and 50 minutes from Narita - no other hotel has the perfect location for the leisure traveller or the busy businessman. As one of the major stops on the JR Yamanote line, as well as the hub for the shinkansen and the Narita Express (NEX), Tokyo literally is at your doorstep.

There's countless bars and restaurants in the station (this being Japan, there's an extensive network of underground shopping centres within the station) and they stay open til late!

But if you are a romantic tragic, you cannot miss the chance to see a living legend in action - head to the hotel's Oak Bar and experience the legendary bartender, Mr Hisashi Sugimoto, work the bar like it's 1959. The Oak Bar is furnished very much like a private club but its surprisingly not an intimidating place - I went by myself and there were two other groups of females all kicking back with a drink. As an aside, if you're a cocktail afficionado, Tokyo is the city to be. The city is full of passionate bartenders of the old school variety who have dedicated their lives to perfecting the art of the martini.

The highlight of the hotel was definitely the customer service - I could tell that all staff were drilled to the highest standards and no request was impossible. Efficient, courteous, friendly and impeccable - to the Tokyo Station staff (especially the fabulous concierge staff), I truly loved you all.

The buffet breakfast at the atrium is exclusivity defined - only hotel guests can access this - and it was one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. As always, my general rule is to eat the local cuisine of the country you're visiting, so I skipped the western bacon-and-eggs-and-hot-meal part of the buffet and went straight to the Japanese side. And was promptly in heaven.

The hotel has a spa and fitness complex but due to time constraints I was unable to try them out. There are a number of cheap and cheerful reflexology and massage places in the underground shopping centre and I highly recommend them.

Note that the Imperial Palace is closed on Mondays! I forgot to read the fine print in my Lonely Planet and turned up at the gates bright and early on a Monday - and walked away empty handed.

Here's some practical information:

1) The Tokyo Station is on the Yamanote Line. Because the Yamanote Line is a circle, it takes just over an hour to do a full loop. And the Yamanote Line leaves Tokyo Station (and any other station on the line) every 2-3 minutes.

2) Tokyo Station is at 4 o-clock. This means Shibuya (where Hachiko statue and the dance clubs are located) is at the 8 o-clock mark. Which means that it takes approximately 20 minutes to travel between Tokyo Station and Shibuya. Shinjuku is at 10 o'clock which means it takes approximately 30 minutes to travel from Tokyo to Shinjuku.

3) If you're a fashion and shopping tragic, the best places to hit shopping are Ginza (for the usual luxury offerings) and Shinjuku (where the grand department stores are located). But I highly recommend Shinjuku particularly the little side streets and alleys just outside the train station. Oh my God - ever wanted to buy a Birkin, or Louis Vuitton for a fraction of the price - then hit the Duty Free Stores. Don't be shy, just go inside - all the staff are nice and friendly - and shop how the pros shop. Don't ever pay retail again. Some of the stuff are second hand, some are brand new - but all of them are authentic. And again, this being Japan, the second had stuff still look almost brand new. This is even better than ebay.

4) It makes life so much easier if your hotel is situated on one of the Yamanote line stops. However, note that many train stations in Tokyo are interconnected - for example, JR Yurakucho station is a stop on the JR Yamanote line, but what most travellers don't realise is that Yurakucho is just a 5 minutes walk to Ginza and Hibiya! This means that if your hotel is in Hibiya (literally on the other side of the tracks from Ginza) then you don't have to change trains if you're on the Ginza line - just walk to the Yurakucho station and you're on the Yamanote line straight away! Same thing for Shiodome station - it is not on the Yamanote line but it is connected to JR Shimbashi which is on the Yamanote line, just walk 5-10 minutes underground through a shopping centre.

To the JR East Company and the Tokyo governor/mayor who had a vision of restoring this grand hotel to this former glory, and to the current staff and management who make the dream a reality, I salute you.

Room Tip: Fork out a little extra for the palace side rooms - you'll have a grandstand view to the pulsing...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank LAG2612
Kaneohe, HI
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is the second time I've stayed in this hotel, and it didn't just meet my expectations, it exceeded them. I had asked for a dome room with a view overlooking the concourse of the train station, and I was assigned just the room I wanted. I've probably described this in an earlier review, but this one was slightly different than the other one, in that it seemed a little larger. Other than that, though, it was just what I wanted it to be. It had an extremely high ceiling, bathroom amenities including a Toto "Washlet" toilet that does just about everything for you, including raising the lids, flushing automatically and "cleaning you off" when you're through. The only thing different from the one I have at home (it's hard to imagine life without one when you've first enjoyed it) was that there was no "dryer." The bed was huge, soft and with a huge amount of pillows that made you feel as if you were an oriental potentate. Despite being right at the largest train station in Tokyo, you never heard a sound, even though announcements are going on literally right outside your window, and screaming kids are running around all over the place, not to mention the huge holiday crowds.

I forgot to mention that the bathtub/shower area is just special. The tub is large and deep, so you have an almost "onsen" like experience. Then there is the shower, which is right next door to the tub, and it has an elegant "rain" shower head. It's hard to decide which is the more decadent.

The hotel itself is "old-time" luxurious, with high ceilings, deep carpets, long hallways, and it takes you back to an era of (I almost hate to say it again) luxury that is sadly lacking in most hotels.

I opted for the "breakfast package" which included a daily trip to their fantastic "atrium" where a huge and lavish array of wonderful foods was in evidence. Everything you could possibly want or need (and a few things you probably wouldn't) was there: meats, pastries, salads, soups, etc. (I don't want to take the space talking about all of them) and an on-site chef who whipped up tasty omelets. In short, it would be hard to find another breakfast as super as this!

All in all, it was a welcome return for me, and I vowed I would always stay here when I return to Tokyo for at least part of my trip. Anyone who wants a perfect stay in Tokyo need head no farther (if one is arriving by train) than this sensational hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask for one of the "Dome" rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Whitsiepoo
La Mesa, CA.
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Not inexpensive, but $523 for a large room, with twin beds on the palace side of the hotel, actually with a small glimpse of some of the castle buildings including a more than excellent breakfast buffet in Tokyo is a steal.

In 2005 as I recall my wife and I walked through this hotel, we had been to the Luminaria light display in Marunouchi and were walking back to Tokyo Station from Yurakucho. It was cold and had started to rain so we cut through the building to get to the train station. It was an old, old barn with the widest hall on the 2nd floor I have ever seen in any hotel anywhere.

Since then JR East has spent a large fortune restoring the hotel, adding a 3rd and 4th floor which we burned out in 1945 in the fire raids and restored the original two domes. The central hall was reduced in width allowing the palace side rooms to be enlarged to rather long rectangular shape, new everything, beautifully "restored" and refurbished. It is a joy to see what can be done with an old building and lots and lots of money.

We stayed in room 3066, a superior twin room with a bare view of the palace grounds. My only complaint is that the wing chair was not comfortable for reading, the sofa was fine. Beds were great, quiet despite overlooking the very busy front taxi arrival area.

We ate a light dinner at the Toraya Resturant on the 2nd floor, had a vegetarian dinner assorted steamed vegetables over rice with a ponzu sauce which to my surprise was excellent. My only criticism is that the green tea which I ordered with the after dinner sweet was not of the same quality as was served at the Toraya shop in the basement of Mid-Town Center. That was tea to go back for again and again. We went out walking afterwards to see the lights in Marunouchi 2 blocks west of the hotel. On our return we had a beer and an apple soda in the 1st floor lounge. Good service, not inexpensive, but it is Tokyo.

The breakfast is an additional fee of 2,000 yen per person, but it is a very elaborate buffet of western and Japanese dishes of which I ate more than I should have. Excellent food and excellent service in a nice setting.

Note, this hotel is built along side of the railroad tracks and stretches for about 300 yards, so you may wind up with quite a bit of a hike from one of the two elevators to your room. Such is life. The building dates to about 1906 was completed in 1914, burned out in 1945, closed in 2007 for a 6 year revovation/restoration. There are newer western style hotels in the city generally more expensive, but for a trip back in time at the most central location in all of Tokyo this is the place to stay.

Oh, for giggles, go to the 2nd floor where you can overlook the rotundas at the North and South Marunouchi entrances to the station. Better than the scramble across the intersection at Shibuya, trust me.

Room Tip: Pay the up charge for a room on the palace side, or if you are feeling flush a room on the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ted C
SIN
Reviewed December 23, 2013

My family of 4 (2 boys 9,7) stayed total 6 nights in Tokyo Station Hotel. From reservations, pre-stay assistance until departure, everything was perfect! I would like to thank Marie Antoinette Mori (Chief Concierge) for her personal attention to every of our enquiries. We were thankful that she speaks English and was able to answer to all our needs. She had arranged for porter services to meet us at the NEX platform in TYO station and bring us right to the hotel door step. On our departure days, the other concierge staff proactively brought us to the Shinkansen tracks as well as to the NEX platform in the station, otherwise we might get lost!

The property is newly furnised and re-opened in Oct 2012. Rooms are decent size per JP standard and the bathrooms are fantastic, especially the rain bath and the auto toilet! My boys were give some souveniors and they were thrilled!

Location is extremely convenient. You can get to practically anywhere easily from all the JR lines. There is a direct access path from the South Exit of the train station to the Hotel. The JR travel service center is located at the North Exit of the train stationl; you can reserve your Shinkansen tickets etc with the assistance of the agents who speaks very good English. Lots of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel at the surrounding buildings or within the train station.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely be back.

Room Tip: Get room nearer to the elevator if you have small kids and prefer to walk less.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pandaq
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed December 13, 2013

My wife and I and 2 kids (4, 3) stayed in Tokyo Station Hotel for 12 nights at the end of October/beginning of November. This review can not possibly express the pleasure of our stay. I can't imagine our vacation being better had we stayed elsewhere.

Getting to Tokyo Station from Narita is simple. Once you get into Tokyo station, it does take a little work to find the hotel. Following signs and asking, as others has posted, helps. Still, with no need to drag luggage into a cab, you can't beat the convenience, especially once you start to use the metro/trains for sightseeing. The station has everything you need, though it takes a little work to navigate your way around (which can be frustrating). Tokyo Station Ramen Street was an especially convenient place to go coming back to the hotel after sightseeing. Also, about a block away, are many high rises with dozens of shops, restaurants, coffee shops, and small grocery stores on the basement floor. With kids, this provided us with every convenience we might need, often without ever needing to go outside (there are tunnels from the Tokyo station underground that lead into these buildings).

On to the hotel. I don't know where to start....The staff is remarkable. Let's start there. The staff could not have been more gracious during our entire stay. We felt so welcomed from the start and by the end of our trip we felt like the staff was family. I must also recognize Ms. Mori. Even before we arrived, she helped to not only secure me Pocket WIFI (which I highly recommend) but several restaurant reservations. Then, during our stay, she helped us with other reservations, sightseeing suggestions, and friendly conversation. Additionally, she has the insight to provide the kids little gifts upon our arrival back 'home' several times, making it far easier to 'parent' after a long day of sightseeing. The hotel provides PJs for all guests. Every night, the entire family would come home to pressed Pajama shirts. The kids' shirts had Shinkansen bullet trains embroidered, and our kids couldn't wait to get into them each night. It was very hard not to steal them at the end of our trip! The hotel also provided, in addition to all the great toiletries, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and shinkensen cups for the kids.

The Hotel. It is beautiful. Obviously, the facade is a landmark. Inside, the hotel is flawless. Everything has been redone to perfection. It is very modern and remarkably well designed and exceptionally clean. I agree with others, there are some long, long hallways, but this is a minor criticism.

The Room. We stayed in a Dome King. It is sound proof. We opted for this because we wanted to see the station below us, a unique experience. Watching all the salary men and women going to work each morning and leaving each evening served as bonus entertainment. One night, with the kids asleep, we were entertained by a young man trying to coerce a women to join him on a train ride home, while the rest of the station was empty (he failed). For some, the rooms may be small. For us, the Dome King was great. We are used to sleeping with our kids in a King Bed on vacation. There was plenty of room for the kids to play in front of the bed on the floor with toys. The bathroom is great. The shower is huge and has an amazing rainfall shower head in the middle, along with an adjacent tub. The toilet has all the expected Japanese features, including a heated seat. Our kids were disappointed to leave the Tokyo toilets.

Restaurants: We were never disappointed in the restaurants (sorry, forget the names, but you'll know what I mean). We ate in the sushi restaurant with my wife's aunt, who lives in Tokyo. Since we had the kids, we secured a private room. The sushi was wonderful, and the service was outstanding. Next, we ate at the Irish restaurant. I had the Shepard's Pie, fantastic, along with a Guinness Draft,while my wife raved about the fish and 'crisps.' The staff mentioned that they brought members of the Irish Consulate in to try the food before the restaurant launched. During that dinner, our waitress from the sushi restaurant from the night before came over to say hello and wanted to take pictures with our kids. As a parent, this sort of thing really makes you feel welcome.

The atrium breakfast is not to be missed. It has a phenomenal selection, ranging from traditional Japanese fare to omelets, meats, pastry, and fruits. And the brioche french toast was amazing. It is a high end breakfast in, though and amazing space, a surprisingly relaxed environment.

Also, I should mention the Oak Bar, where I stopped, unfortunately, oncet. Great little bar...intimate, with a Japanese Whiskey, along with a surprisingly good selection of international whiskey and US bourbon.

Well, that is my take. Sorry for the delay getting it out. I guess I'll conclude by saying that when I come back to Tokyo, I'll stay at Tokyo Station Hotel. I had a long stay there with my family and at the end of the trip I felt really sad to leave the hotel and the people who worked there

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank JKJKJKEK
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of our 8 days 7 nights Japan trips. The rooms are very decent in size per Japanese standard. I didn't feel cramped. The bathrooms are amazing where the amenities are aplenty. The housekeeping did an amazing job! i spilled some tea on the bed and the HK replaced everything including a new blanket. I say this this because in some US major chains, they do not replace blankets. There is also free wifi which is hard to come by in many Japanese hotels without a fee. The staff was wonderful. The location is connected to the major Tokyo Station and its by the Marounouchi South exit (South Passage pass the South Court where there are some food shops) and connects to 2 side entrances to the hotel. the train station is majorly huge! i took my parents to Shibuya and Shinjuku. The staff gave us a station map to help us navigate and escorted us to the station where to get on. They also took us to the Shinkansen on the day we checked out and brought us there to board our train to Kyoto. There is a major shopping mall attached to the station where foods are aplenty. One thing for sure, you'll never go hungry. Like other reviewers said, the hotel restaurants are on the expensive side(would you expect less?). You do have to pay for the health club and the spa (saunas and hot springs) separately. Tokyo Station is a major station to connect to practically everywhere. It's so convenient and quiet. The beds are heavenly. They did a great job on renovation. its beautiful lobby with a fireplace. I will be back to stay here again no doubt!

Room Tip: Get the rooms on the high floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank hrdabster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Palace Hotel Tokyo
Park Hotel Tokyo
Park Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 109 in Minato
Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi

Been to The Tokyo Station Hotel? Share your experiences!