“Top Class”

Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Wollongong, Australia
“Top Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a dozen or so times. The service is of high quality, rooms are modern and have all services. This is especially handy as it is directly above Tokyo train station.
Food, service and room quality is of high qulaity

Room Tip: Organise a room overlooking the 100 year old train station
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CRAKYL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

The location of the hotel is across the street from the Tokyo train station, you can walk to the Ginza or the Imperial Palace in minutes. The local train, bullet train and the Narita express are just a walk across the street at the newly restored Tokyo train station in my over 50 trips to Japan this has to be one of the best places in regards to location. The hotel is up scale, slightly higher in price but the 5 Star service is truly excellent. If the restaurants are a bit pricey (which the are) on the ground level is a food court with many affordable options. The only negative no wifi in the room, in this day in age this should be standard, free in the lobby does not meet customer service expectations when the hotel does everything else so right.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the station
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Bob_Greenbay
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

This was my second time staying in the hotel due to the strategic location where it is located. Stayed for 3 weeks each time.

Check-in - Despite informing the hotel of my early flight arrival at 7.30am (the same bad experience last year), they were not accomodating to offer me an early check-in. Insisted that I can only check in at 1pm the earliest. I had to walk around Marunouchi Hotel feeling exhausted, tired and demotivated before getting into the tiny room.

Room - Miserably small. I am complaining as I am paying US$250 per night. If I paid US$150, I wouldn't have complained. You get a super single bed, yes super single......... when you lay on the bed facing the ceiling, you will realize that the ceiling immediately on top of the bed is in a semi circle, a dome lookalike. For the Chinese, it looks like living in a Chinese graveyard or the traditional coffin cover. No kidding. My colleagues did not sleep well, myself inclusive throughout our trip.

Facilities - No gym, no swimming pool. Safely say, NOTHING.

TV - Limited channels to browse.

Breakfast - Expect to pay JPY3,000 or approx US$12 for lousy breakfast. Not much of Japanese cuisine. Merely pancakes, fruits and limited selection. I've tried it once last year on my Day 1. Thereafter, for the remaining of the days and inclusive of this stay, we rather walk to the Family Mart (7-Eleven equivalent), and you get better choice of food! Needless to say, the bakery downstairs opposite the hotel is a good choice for good bakery stuff. Please do not bother having your breakfast at this hotel.

Laundry - Expect to pay through your nose. As we stayed for 3 weeks business trip, we left with no choice but to send our clothes for laundry. On average, we paid US$100 weekly for our laundry cost..... that's a lot of money for 3 weeks stay......

Staff / customer service - Unlike the warm and friendly Japanese hospitality, I personally find the hotel staff being COLD. Expect a "Yes" or "No" answer for the question you posted. They will not elaborate or offer more. Initially I thought the staff may be faced with language difficulties but later found that staff in other hotel are friend, warm and helpful. The staff in this hotel is certainly those being too serious and harsh. One of the night, 2 of my staff wanted to speak with me in person and we all stayed at different levels. As the hotel restrict the guest to get to the level accessible by their room access cards, we were forced to meet at the hotel lobby at Level 7. My 2 staff was waiting at the front desk area and when I get there to see her, the hotel staff started observing us. After our brief discussion, when the 3 of us made our way to the hotel lift to get back to our room, the front desk staff confronted us asking for our identity. I was "pissed" and upset, having stayed in the hotel for at least 2 weeks and the fact that we walk through the lobby from the lift, we were confronted as if we were trespassers. I flashed my hotel card before making a move but was stopped as I was told no guests allowed in the room. Only when my 2 staff flashed their individual room cards that we were allowed to leave. For a moment, I thought I was living in a college dormitory or a disciplined hall. Certainly an upsetting moment, feeling humiliated as if I was bringing strangers for vice activity in my room.

For your information, we had 4 rooms for 3 weeks each. The same amount of nights we clocked last year. The hotel did not bother to provide complimentary upgrade nor did they bothered to value us as a loyal customer.

The next time I am back to Tokyo for business trip, will certainly request for my client to put me up at another property. Will not hesitate to take a risk but having stayed at Marunouchi Hotel twice, I must say, enough is enough. It's overpriced, staff are surprisingly not that pleasant to deal with, room is too tiny for the price I've paid and finally, the breakfast sucks despite the hefty sum you need to pay!

I subsequently extended my stay in Japan and I walked across the road at the Yaesu side of Tokyo Station which is 100m further than Marunouchi Hotel, found this hotel called Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo. Everything here is much better and cheaper! See my other review on Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo.

Overall for Marunouchi Hotel - Poor. If the hotel management is reading this, it is about time to reflect on your poor services and the comparison to your neighbouring hotels. Buck up before your loyal guests start flocking to your competitors leaving you being proud just because of your location. Think out of the box and start reflecting before it is too late. Good luck to you!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere, only if you can't find any other hotel, then this will certainly be your last ch...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank a23w
Egchel, netherlands.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is connected to Tokyo station, very good location.
Amenities are all available. Staff very friendly and always prepared to help.
Breakfast is OK for western style. Next door Shangri-La provides a better western breakfast, at double the cost ;-)
Main significant downpoint was the shaky, slow internet connection in the room.
No wifi in room - so no ipad.
That is a main concern if you stay for more than one night.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Rob H
Twickenham, London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

This hotel is very conveniently located, just a few minutes walk from Tokyo station (you can walk underground from the station to the hotel). All the facilities you'd expect of a high quality hotel, targeted mainly at business travellers (which I was).

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed at Marunouchi in Feb for business trip. The hotel is near Tokyo Station which is really very convenient. The price is reasonable. We could choose different favor bathing salt when we check in, which really made us relax, and feel back home. The breakfast in the club lounge was not as good as the restaurant. But nice place. The staffs are always helpful. The room is nice with a great view of the Tokyo Station. I was impressive when I look it out at mid-night. I would consider to come back here in the next business trip.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

You can’t beat the location - right next to Tokyo Station, in the center of the business district and close to the Imperial Palace (great place for a run/walk). It’s close to a couple of malls and lots of restaurant/food choices within walking distance. The hotel it’s self is clean, nice rooms, great service but nothing that stands out.

We stayed here as a family and while the location is great, it’s not a great hotel for kids - in fact, I think my daughter was the only child staying there during that week.

If I or my husband return to to Tokyo on business this is a great hotel, but I would not choose it again for a family trip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Marunouchi
The Tokyo Station Hotel
Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi
Oakwood Premier Tokyo
Oakwood Premier Tokyo
#26 of 74 in Chiyoda

Been to Marunouchi Hotel? Share your experiences!