“Consistently a great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Grand Palace

Hotel Grand Palace
Ranked #26 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Torrance, California
“Consistently a great place to stay”
Reviewed December 11, 2009

This is the third time I've stayed at the Hotel Grand Palace over the last 4 years and I have enjoyed staying there each time. The staff is very friendly and many are proficient in English. The breakfast buffet is a nice mix of Japanese and Western foods. The rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel is a bit older, but well maintained and very comfortable to stay at.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank TorranceRyan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 30, 2009

My buddy Stephen and I shared a room here for 4 nights while doing research in Tokyo. The staff was wonderful and proficient in English (though I speak enough Japanese to get by), the location is terrific; just north of the Imperial Palace.

The room had two beds that were typical of Japan (for foreigners, a little small and little hard, but ok), high-speed internet access included, cable TV including a couple of English channels, and was clean and well-kept.

As for getting around the Grand Palace is a block from the subway leads to JR rail lines (north to Iidabashi Station). 1 subway stop and 1 Chuo-Sobu rail stop (to Suidobashii Station) from Tokyo Dome City. Only a couple or three subway stops from Tokyo Station.

When arriving into Tokyo Station a cab will take you counter-clockwise around Edo-jo to get to the hotel. About a 10-minute trip. There is a Subway and McDonald's restaurants in 5-minute walk, as well as a 7-Eleven store.

For about $130 a night (what Stephen booked over the internet), we couldn't have asked for much better for our stay!

Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 9, 2009

What to say? Location is OK - center of everything, yet close to nothing. Here we have another example of a hotel that has pretensions far beyond its means to deliver. If you check the website, you will see it offers services beyond compare - multiple restaurants, etc. A fax that awaited my arrival even came in a special "telefax" envelope! Yet, the rooms themselves are mediocre at best and frightenely outdated, - my beside control station is straight from star wars circa 1965, and once you get beyond the lobby it just seems old. Clean? Yes. Safe? Yes. Would I come back? No. Just one more tired, tired, property that has all the services but none of the panache.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Austin, TX
Reviewed August 22, 2009

I have to say a very big thank you to the front desk & concierge staff at the Grand Palace.

I needed to see a doctor during my stay and I had a lot of difficulty finding a doctor who would see me.

The hotel concierge, Mr Fujiwara, got on the phone and had to make several difficult phone calls trying to find a doctor who would see me. When Mr Fujiwara finally found a hospital who would let me in, Mr Hagita from the Front Desk came to the hospital with me.

Mr. Hagita took about 3 hours out of his day to accompany me to the hospital and act as my translator. I am so glad that he did that, because there was no way I could have figured out the hospital process on my own. Mr. Hagita was incredibly kind and patient, I am so grateful to him.

The doctor ordered me to rest in the hotel for 2 days after my original departure date. When we got back to the hotel from the hospital, Mr. Saito the hotel manager met me in the lobby, offered to extend my stay as long as I needed, gave me a discounted rate for the extra nights that I needed to stay, and offered to have room service bring me food from the restaurants instead of having to come down to the restaurants.

I am so grateful to Mr. Saito, Mr Fujiwara, and especially Mr. Hagita for their hard work and excellent service. Thank you!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
6 Thank marcgr
rainb0wtraveler
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Very clean, 2 minutes to the Kudanshita subway station or 6 minutes to the Iidabashi JR station. Lots of food shops close by, 1 minute to the Budokan, and about 10 minutes walk to the Imperial palace gates.

• Stayed February 2009
1 Thank rainb0wtraveler
Haddington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2009

This hotel has style, space and a very friendly welcome. Nothing is too much trouble./ There is an outstanding restaurant serving French cuisine. Rooms are spacious.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank DaoHaddington
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed June 16, 2009

We got the two bed and 1 pullout sofa bed room. It was clean and enough room for our 4 and 5 year old. The staff was very friendly and paid nice attention to the kids. No scowling or frowning at their running about. A pool is always a bonus but we were expecting one and We stayed out until at least 7 every night. The kimono and slippers were a nice touch. Not a huge selection of "western style" restaurants nearby if you care about that. But there are places to eat like subway and Mcdonalds within reasonable walking distance. Carry cash! not even the 7-11 takes credit cards.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family