“Second home for 7 months”

Akasaka Excel Hotel Tokyu
Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Melbourne, Australia
“Second home for 7 months”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks every month for 7 consecutive months (October 2012 to May 2013). The purpose of my trip was obviously work, and my role as a software developer will give you an idea of my personality type (perfectionist, tidy, punctual, orderly...etc).

The staff were fantastic - typical of Japanese hospitality service.

The room is good for the price (I got a corporate rate of JPY16000/night). Free WIFI in the room, and connection by LAN cable in the room a bonus - great for SKYPE and watching online TV/movies through laptop connected to TV (I supplied my own HDMI cable). The room has tea/coffee machines but I never used them. The bathroom (with shower over bath) is typically small especially for someone 185cm tall. More expensive rooms have a walk in shower (would have been nice!!). I had no problem with the air-con during winter, but did not experience a summer there. Nights can get noisy with sounds from neighboring rooms and/or sirens on the main road outside - but not that frequent. Good wardrobe space. I always ordered more hangers for all my business shirts. Didn't use the hotel laundry service as I preferred to save money and use the laundromat 5 min walk away, and then iron my clothes myself (using good equipment from hotel)

When it comes to food I'm very much a foodie - expect high standard at reasonable prices. IMO the hotel does not offer this. I ate dinner at the main restaurant many times only because I was using loyalty points, and even then I struggled to find good value. I had the full buffet breakfast once just to experience it, and at JPY2500 IMO it's not good value for the limited range of food on offer. I only enjoyed the scrambled eggs and toast (but I'm really fussy). The bacon is not what I'm used to in Australia. Not sure what it was so did not touch it. The range of fresh fruit was limited to 2, but not surprising given the cost of fresh fruit in Japan. For breakfast I was happy with my Weetbix I brought over from Australia, eaten in my room with my own bowl and spoon. But if you're into food you need not worry - within 5 min walk across the road you have everything you could want at reasonable prices - japanese, ramens, sushi, kebabs, subway, pizza, pasta, turkish, steak, indonesian, chinese, pubs, coffee, even a McDonalds and Hungry Jacks...etc,etc. Just brilliant. It really is food heaven. Exceptional lunches for JPY1000, and dinners for JPY2000. Much more expensive places also if you are after something special. Downstairs in the basement is a great cheap Italian place which was also great value. Don't try the Hooters - burgers I would only feed to my dog. I tried one and the bun was still cold (from fridge) in the middle. You go to Hooters for the novelty of the girls dancing around.

The location is great because of the access to the subway across the road, and also the food choices. It is also about 25 minute walk from the nightlife district of Tokyo (Roppongi)l. I did this many times on Fri/Sat nights after the last train (which is around midnight). It is very safe to walk the streets in the early hours of the morning.

For those interested in fitness the hotel does not have any facilities because they refer you to a gym in the building next door. I payed around JPY5500 for 2 weeks. Other rates are available. It is not a big gym, but has the basics and does the job.

Overall great place. If it wasn't I would have chosen elsewhere....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AntonA254

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I joined this hotel for our group tour. Rooms were ok typical of Japan compact but what impressed me is the resto at 8th floor very good Japanese food and breakfast in this hotel is also excellent especially sice hotel is centrally located

Room Tip: Big window facing the street. Location of this hotel is perfect since subway line is just in front
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Denmayer
Malvern, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have stayed at Akasaka Excel Hotel Tokyu for 4 nights during our visit to Tokyo in late April. We were very happy with it. The room size is very good, well equipped with amenities. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the breakfasts. There were selections of Japanese and American breakfast. The location is excellent, subway station just across the road. There were plenty of restaurants around in just a very short walk. Just one minor point, the a/c in the room got quite warm at night. We definitely will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
East Coast, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Covers everything you may need from a hotel.
1. great location, has a station just opposite the hotel, food restaurants and convenience stores are just across the street, gindako takoyaki cripsy creme etc
2. Rooms are great, just what you will expect from a hotel
3. The airport limousine bus stops here, easy access and departure from the airport

Been here 2 - 3 times, all in all experience has been great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Galvin89
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and were satisfied. We got an upgrade to two rooms from one twin and a free breakfast as a perk. The rooms were typical Japanese: rather small but well equipped and maintained. I fought with light and AC control a bit - until I found out that everything can be controlled from a panel at bedside. Staff was professional, breakfast quite rich, including both western-type and local food. However, waiting in a queue in front of the breakfast room can take few minutes in peak times.
The hotel location is hard to beat, several underground lines within few steps and many lively small streets just a block away, if you like walking around, especially in the night.
The only major flaw was that my room was not made up at all when I had put the "Don't change the sheets" sign at door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jan157
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights as part of a wider trip around Japan. The location of the hotel is excellent, breakfast is good and the free wifi is certainly a perk. However, our room was unacceptably hot and we were unable to turn the heating down which prevented us from sleeping well. There are two restaurants, the top floor restaurant and bar is pricy but very nice. The 3rd floor restaurant is more basic and we found their interpretation of western dishes weird at best.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth S
cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Great location, with 2 metro stations (5 lines) on the doorstep, making it easy to navigate such a vast city. Always plenty of taxis outside too. Hotel itself in the Tokyu plaza, with a few shops and restaurants for all tastes. More just across the road. The hotel is modern and clean. All staff friendly and polite, especially the concierge who helped us with a number of things, including a helicopter flight over Tokyo at night (a must!). All staff spoke good English. Upgraded to a superior double; comfy bed, good facilities (including a super loo!).

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank jko29
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Ochanomizu / Akihabara / Kanda
Hotel New Otani Tokyo The Main
Hotel Grand Fresa Akasaka
Hotel Grand Fresa Akasaka
#24 of 108 in Minato

Been to Akasaka Excel Hotel Tokyu? Share your experiences!