“A SMALL HOUSE BUT A BIG HEART (LEBANESE PROVERB)”

Sakura Hotel Jimbocho
Ranked #41 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Bordeaux, France
“A SMALL HOUSE BUT A BIG HEART (LEBANESE PROVERB)”
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Very good price/quality ratio. The rooms might be a little small but the location of the hotel (centre of Tokyo), the price and the discreet but efficient service makes this hotel one of the options for a low or mid budget stay in this city. the English speaking staff (which might be rare in japan) is extremely friendly and nice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ireland
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I had a private room for one night. I wouldn't have wanted to spend too much time in the room as it was tiny! But it was clean with a good size bed. The staff are very friendly and helpful and it is walking distance from the Imperial Palace Gardens.

If you have a Japan Rail pass and want to save on getting metro tickets, you can get off at Suidobashi (I think its called) and walk to the hotel. Takes less than 10mins.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Perth
Reviewed April 25, 2010

This hotel was located in the Jimbocho area, which was the bookshop district and 1-2 subway stations away from the central Tokyo station. The location was quite convenient and had plenty of eateries around and a supermarket on the way to the subway station.

The rooms are small and felt like a dorm with our uncomfortable bunk beds even with our request for doubles room. The whole place reeks of cigarette smoke even though it is now smoke-free. Shower and sink facilities are all shared on each level and these were clean and well kept.

There was no complimentary tea/coffee as you would expect in a hotel as the downstairs lounge/tv area is a 24 hour cafe. Internet is charged at 100 yen per 10 minutes.

Staff are very helpful, speak English and are available 24 hours a day.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed March 6, 2010

I decided on this hotel after much searching on the internet and realising that Tokyo is an expensive place. Once I accepted that, the rooms here are great. Small, but I only planned to sleep or sit in mine, so adequate for my purposes. Quiet, tidy, internet in the rooms is free (and WiFi in my case), snacks seem to be available all day, simple breakfast included (all of these things cost a packet inTokyo, so if the hotel provides them and you want them then it makes the room value even better).

The location is also great. Tokyo is huge and unless you need to be in a specific area, this place is well located to get to anywhere by subway or rail, and is in easy walking distance of the Imperial Palace and you can stroll on to downtown.

Given that Tokyo can be a bit of a culture shock, the true asset of this hotel is the staff. Even before I got on the plane I had been sent directions from Narita Airport to the hotel in excellent English. I reckoned I could have found it by myself, but it would have taken a lot longer - their directions led me there without delay.

The squad at reception speak superb English and are amazingly helpful. I wanted to go to the Ghibli museum and it was going to be difficult as they only accept tickets bought and collected in advance and in Japan this has to be done on the internet and then collected from a vending machine in a specific chain of convenience shops. The vending machine system would be impossible to negotiate for a non-japanese speaker. Not only did the receptionist guy sort out the details on the internet, he then left the desk and walked with me to one of these stores near the hotel to sort out the vending machine for me. This was really beyond the call of duty and the main reason I am writing this review - I have never been moved to write a review of a hotel before, but these guys tipped the balance and if anyone else had to find a place to stay I would be doing them a dis-service if I didn't tell them to stay here.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Redwood City, California
Reviewed July 7, 2009

My girlfriend and I spent three nights here in April 2009. Overall our experience here was nice. The rooms were small as expected but there was free internet, a fully bathroom, a bed and big chair to sit on. It's not extravagant but it suited our needs just nicely.

Only complaints which none were a big enough deal for me to worry about if I went there again, is that some of the other guests were quite noisy during the morning and the hotel is somewhat far from a subway station. However, for 99% of the time it wasn't too noisy and a walk to the subway station is a good way to start a morning or end an evening.

Overall, I was pleased with my stay at Sakura Hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cclemens31
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 4, 2009

We stayed on this place for a total of three nights. The rooms and shared bathroms are small but comfortable and very clean. Has free wi fi and offers pcs with internet access on the lobby for a low price. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Plus the location is excellent, just three blocks away a major subway station. It also offers cheap meals and a very cheap breakfast of unlimited toasts and coffee/tea. It is also very close to a supermarket, a convenience store and restaurants. We would certainly go again if we return to Tokyo.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ALFRED82
Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2009

The Sakura hotel is more like a hostel - but a very nice one at that.
Our room was very small, but you don't go to Tokyo to stay in your room. The bed was quite comfortable and the room was air conditioned for comfort.

The toilet and shower facilities are all shared, but are cleaned daily and I was quite impressed with the level of cleanliness.

The staff are EXCELLENT!! All speak good english and they were very helpful at all hours - the Sakura Hotel is 24 hours in the bar/cafe area.

The hotel is in Jimbocho which isn't a nightlife area, but it is close to the subway and only a few stops away from all areas you'll need to go. We did manage to find a couple of very traditional bars tucked in downstairs rooms in the local area.

We truly loved this hotel, as we met quite a few travellers from all over. I would highly recommend this hotel for younger travellers.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Clairie2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Ueno, Asakusa
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Hotel Nihonbashi Villa
Ochanomizu / Akihabara / Kanda
Hotel Villa Fontaine Jimbocho

Been to Sakura Hotel Jimbocho? Share your experiences!