“If all hotels next door to a train station were like this one...”

Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Kusnacht, Switzerland
“If all hotels next door to a train station were like this one...”
Reviewed May 24, 2009

Our family and I stayed for two nights at the Four Seasons hotel in Tokyo at Maranouchi on a trip around Asia in April. It was our first time in Japan and we were all a bit nervous about how we were going to function in a city where we not only didn't know the language, but we also had read that there were very few English street signs or maps, and that very few people spoke English. Well, our worries were unfounded. We were actually picked up at Narita airport by an FS employee called a "greeter"; a very capable lady who helped us organize our train tickets into Tokyo's main station. (Note: hiring a taxi or a private care to take you into town or to your hotel is very, very expensive. I normally don't cringe at high prices for private cars but....$900?!?! - or thereabouts?!?)
The train ride was fabulous, even though we were tired. Each stop was announced in different languages including English, so we need not have worried. At the main station there was an FS employee waiting directly outside our car (everything is so well organized, it is possible for the train cars to stop in the same place every time, which is well marked on the floors of the stations). He then piled our luggage on a trolley and walked us patiently and gently through the throngs of people at the station all the way to the hotel which is next door - although you wouldn't know it because it is kind of hidden. It was a good thing he was there for us - I probably would not have found it alone. Once you are inside, everythng is an oasis of calm and order. The hotel is one of the smallest in the FS chain, only about 7 floors in total. In the traditional way of Japan, attention is paid to the slightest little detail in order to ensure perfection. Whether of beauty or technology - everything worked so well that I found myself wondering why nothing outside of Japan was so lovely, or worked so seamlessly well.
Our room was amazing; it was modern, yet warm. It had a really neat sliding door that shut the sitting room off from the bedroom, and it had an awesome bathroom. And of course the super famous Japanese Toto toilets. The bathtub was gorgeous, a creamy egg shape, but I confess I found it really difficult to relax in because I kept slipping down inside it!
The food was fantastic, whether Asian, Japanese or Western. The atmosphere was super-cool. All the most happening people must go there for drinks or meetings - the vibe was perfect.
Room service was perfect - even a hot chocolate and cookies were presented in a faultless way.
The concierge gets a special virtual hug from me for organizing who must be quite simply the best tour guide for her country ever. Miss Izumi, we all enjoyed the time you spent with us. I would recommend her services to everyone staying in Tokyo. She took us everywhere by foot, train, monorail and subway - and we saw a lot.
I didn't get a chance to use the spa but I got a quick tour and it looks scrumptious - even the onsen bath looked really nice, not frightening at all for a Western visitor.
We also organized tickets to Kyoto on the bullet train with the concierge, and tickets to an FC Tokyo football match. Everything went fantastically, and we are definitely coming back. BTW, the view of Mt. Fuji out the window of the bullet train to Kyoto is so incredible, if you are lucky enough to have the weather on your side to see it.
Run don't walk to Tokyo - and stay here if you can afford it - it's GREAT!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank heavycat69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 28, 2009

My husband and I were at Four season in Tokyo for a short business tirp. This is not our first time in tokyo but 1st time at Four season. We love it there. The room is spacious and the service is excellent. Not mention about location, it is so convenience for us. In our free time we have use of their spa and Onsan. We would consider stay there again if we have a chance to pass by Tokyo. The price is expensive but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Belle40
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 20, 2009

We stayed for three nights in mid-March and had an incredible stay. We used the meet and greet service - couldn't be easier after 16 hours of flying. FS staff member picked us up from the bus station at Tokyo Station (but left earlier than the Narita express so was more convenient) and walked us to the hotel (5 minutes or less). Check in was in the room - and an info pack containing all my restaurant reservations, shikansen tickets to Kyoto, and maps to our Ryokan there were already prepared. Everything I requested was done to perfection.

We stayed in an executive suite - which is huge (2 bathrooms) and very well laid out - in a contemporary style. Beds are super comfy. WiFi and lan access are available ($20 a day) and work well. Room service breakfast was very good and showed up within 15 minutes. The room has a nespresso coffee maker as well as a french press coffee maker (excellent idea to have both!). The room had views of the trains (including the Shikansen) passing by our window (without any noise though) - which was a nice touch.

When we left to Kyoto a staff member accompanied us to the train, going so fare as to help us get settled - can't beat that kind of service!

All in all, you couldn't ask for more and in the competitive luxury Tokyo hotel market - the Four Seasons Marunouchi more than excels. Though there are many other good choices in Tokyo - this hotel will appeal to guests who want very personal service (with only 50 guest rooms it's an intimate a very personal experience); care for the location (very good for business and transportation - slightly less so for sightseeing); and expect the highest level of service. I also felt I got very good value for my money.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erik567
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed February 26, 2009

My husband and I spent a week at the Four Seasons Marunouchi back in February of 2007. It was FABULOUS! First of all, they will send a Mercedes to the airport for you if you are willing to pay the $$$. This is nice if you are not familiar with Tokyo and you're jet lagged. It's a very safe place so a taxi would probably be fine, but the car is nice!

The hotel has a wonderful check in system. They take you directly to your room and check you in there. No hanging in a lobby after flying for 14 hours!!! The rooms are beautiful, very modern and high end with heated floors, flat screen tv's and glass walls facing the street. Breakfast is excellent, both in the restaurant and brought to the room. The information desk is very helpful. They will get any information you might need, and will write down destination information in Japanese for you to use with cab drivers.

One of the best things about the hotel is how close it is to the main train station. It is literally right next door and a hotel escort will take you to the train station and put you right on the train. They will also greet you when you return and walk you back to the hotel ( pretty confusing in the terminal...). We took the train to Nagoya and saw the 'Snow Monkeys' and to Kyoto to see the Geishas. otherwise we took a lot of taxis.

The Ginza is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and is fabulous. The shopping is amazing as are the tempura restaurants. On Sundays, they close the main street and it is full of people. You can get to the Hyatt, Harajuku district, Shinjuku etc, by train or taxi.

Overall, just an amazing place. So relaxing in the middle of a hectic, huge city!!!!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Suisse Romande
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I'm just back from the Fourseasons Hotel at Marunouchi in Tokyo.
Everything was perfect from the beginning to the end. We arrived on February 15th in the morning after a long flight from Geneva with a stop at London-Heathrow. As our flight arrived in Tokyo at 9:15 am I ordered the room one day in advance; I did not want to be waiting untill 3 pm.
The car was waiting for us at the airport and drove directly to the hotel. Our first impression was that we would have the excellence. The staff was wery welcomming; we did not have to go to the reception as the Rooms Manager was waiting for us in the lobby and immediatly introduced us the room. They had prepared a breakfast in the room; which was really appreciated.
I reserved some days before a massage; they were waiting for us and we really had 90 minutes of happiness!

The rooms, spa, restaurant, service are PERFECT!

Yes it's an expensive hotel but you really get what you're paying for. You never have to ask thing twice.
Just one exemple. We had dinner at the hotel and wanted a table in front of the windows. We had the table and they gave me at the end of the dinner an ashtree. Then we made another reservation for the end of the week; we had the same table; they remember where I sat and next to my plate they had placed an ashtree; plus they remembered I cannot eat onions and when I asked "without onions" they told me everything was planned without.
This is what makes me a true Fourseasons lover. This kind of little details make all the difference; you really feel home!

Really I can recommend this place to everybody. They will help you whatever you require...

I'll be back!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank BorisOG
St Albans, near London
Reviewed December 30, 2008

My partner and I stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel at Marunouchi for a week last month, and we had a fantastic time. Obviously it is an expensive hotel (and with the pound sliding against the yen whilst we were there this became increasingly clear...) but I really do feel that you get your money's worth.

As this was our first time in Japan we booked the 'meet and greet' service offered by the hotel (which you pay for). This meant that we were met at the airport by a member of staff from the hotel who sorted out our bus tickets (we'd just missed the Narita Express), took us to the correct bus stop, helped with luggage, and generally made us feel very welcome after a long flight from London. She then phoned ahead to let the hotel know that we were on the bus, and someone came to meet us at the bus stop and escorted us to the hotel. We were immediately taken up to our room (a Premier King) to check-in, which again was great after a long journey. Our room was on the third floor with a lovely view across a leafy patio area and then across to Tokyo Station. If you're into that sort of thing it could be train-spotter heaven!

Our room was huge with floor to ceiling windows on one side, the largest bed I think I've ever seen (it made a UK king seem tiny) and a great bathroom. This was also the first time I'd experienced a Japanese toilet, and being British it was a bit odd at first but by the end of the week I was a definite convert.

The bar and restaurant (up on the 7th floor along with the spa) were great, serving some of the best cocktails I've ever had - unlike the bar in the Park Hyatt hotel where their vodka martinis tasted as if they'd been watered down.... Whilst we ate lunch and dinner elsewhere we always had breakfast in the hotel, where they did possibly the best scrambled eggs with hash browns that I've ever tasted.

Finally the staff - what can I say? The other reviews here are testimony to the fact that the Four Seasons train their staff extremely well - better than any other hotel chain I can think of. You are genuinely made to feel that the hotel exists only for you - an absolute joy.

I know this sounds like a gushing review, and I've honestly tried to think about some negative points to make. But all I can really comment on is the price, and as I said at the beginning I think the expense is well worth it. I hope to return soon, so I guess we'd better start saving....

• Liked — The staff were just brilliant.
  • Disliked — The price......
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank IdyllicTraveller
JAKARTA
Reviewed September 29, 2008

The Four Seasons Marunouchi is a boutique hotel with only 57 rooms. It’s strategically located adjacent to the Tokyo station ( the transport hub of Tokyo ) and is directly accessible by Narita Express and only a short walk away from Ginza. This is actually only the second Four Seasons that I have stayed.

Arriving

I arrived by Narita Express and choose to use the “Meet and Greet” service of the hotel so that I don’t have to go thru the hassle of figuring my own way to the hotel. Things went efficiently as expected of a Four Seasons. On arriving, I was escorted to my room for in-room check. All as per expectation. Also pleasing is that the hotel has granted my request for early check-in. I arrived at 9:30AM.

The Room

OK, this is a 5-star hotel no doubt and the room does reflect that. However, while it might have been cutting edge when it opened many years ago, now it’s getting long in the tooth especially compared to the newer hotels. Put plainly, this room doesn’t “ooze” luxury for the hotels of the same class. Perhaps I’m being too demanding as I have seen the very best the hotel industry has to offer. The room is basically “what you get is what you see”, ie the pictures on the website quite accurately reflect the room.

I booked a “Premier Room” which is the upper tier room type in this hotel. The room measures a spacious 50+ m2 and divided into a foyer, a closet area, a bathroom, a living area and a sleeping quarters. It’s in a contemporary style but seems to be lacking some “wow” factor compared to the newer hotels like the Peninsula Tokyo. The bathroom is adequate with all the necessary stuff like advance toilet, good water pressure, deep soaking tub but otherwise is small and seems to be an after thought when designing the room. A couple using the bathroom in the morning will likely complain about the lack of space.

Among some of the short comings are :-

1. Small bathroom, not a full ensuite. Only one sink.

2. No LCD TV in the bathroom. In this day and age, this is almost a must.

3. No rainforest shower. Old fashion bathroom fittings in shower cubicle.

4. There is only one plasma TV facing the bed and if you choose to sit on the sofa, it’s position such that you can’t watch the TV at the same time. Putting up another TV or using a rotating cabinet would be helpful

5. There’s no wireless internet in the room or at least I couldn’t find it.

6. Very small electronic safe. Can hardly put anything larger than a passport.

7. Bed is run-of-the-mill, not as comfortable as the best I have slept in.

8. Lack of power plugs on the desk ( only one! ). I need to request an extension from housekeeping, then adapters. Given the spacious work desk, why don’t they incorporate more plugs into the wall?

9. View facing train station and Tokyo Forum wasn’t very impressive

There are some good points though. The room is very quiet, evident by the triple glazing employed. Some good gadgets including iPod dock ( with remote ), a Bose CD/Alarm clock ( but with awful sound ), plasma TV etc.

Common Areas

This hotel is really small. It’s inside a office tower. If you don’t pay attention, you can easily miss the entrance. There’s only one restaurant which also function as a bar and a lounge and the prices are astronomically expensive ( USD40++ for a set breakfast with only standard items ). The lobby is very small, with the reception and concierge desk taking up most of the space. However, the common areas are tastefully decorated. Basically, it’s a very small hotel, really boutique in that sense.

Nothing to fault here though as a boutique hotel, service can be over-bearing at times. Everywhere I go, the staff seems to know who I am and greet me by name. They also rush to help with pressing the lift, carrying bags etc. Not that it’s a bad thing of course. Also as expected of a Four Seasons, the rooms are kept impeccably clean. To be very fair, I have to say the Four Seasons service level is so far the best I have seen in Tokyo and almost comparable to the Excellent Four Seasons Hong Kong.

This hotel is incredibly expensive, commanding top tier rate among 5-star luxury hotels in Tokyo and therein lies the problem. I happened to book a weekend rate which is about Yen10,000 cheaper ( and that’s excluding breakfast and no benefits of any kind ). Yet, for the price, the room quality is obviously inferior even when compared to the newer Ritz Carlton, not to mention the far more extravagant Peninsula Tokyo. It’s almost embarrassingly inadequate. Really, a renovation is by now overdue if the Four Seasons Marunouchi intends to position itself as a premium luxury hotel. There’s also no amazing view to speak of too as the hotel is a low rise. The only area that the hotel delivers is in service, but then this is Tokyo, good service is almost always expected, plus or minus some.

Conclusion

Overall, this hotel is “OK” but I’m not particularly impressed by it, especially the room quality. I did not have high expectations for this hotel in the beginning and just thought of trying something new. So I was quite pleased to have only tried out one night and happily moved over to the Peninsula the following day.

I would say it’s a good choice if you want a 5-star hotel that’s near to Ginza and also appreciate to have the constant attention of the hotel staff. However, unless the room rates can be significantly lower or that the owners invested in renovation to enhance the room quality and amenities, I doubt I will return as the Peninsula is a substantially more attractive alternative.

• Liked — Attentive Service
  • Disliked — Outdated Rooms, small bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank BENLEE123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
#6 of 74 in Chiyoda
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
#5 of 74 in Chiyoda

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi? Share your experiences!