“Outstanding”

Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Sao Paulo, SP
“Outstanding”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Four Seasons is located in a tall corporate building right by Tokyo JR Station, close to Ginza and the Imperial Palace. It's an easy 5-minute (if you don't get lost -- but don't worry as someone from the staff can meet you at the platform) walk from the station to the hotel.

Check-in was fast and my room was huge, with a large bathroom and cool toiletries, glass walls, a giant 3D TV and automatic curtains. But I don't wanna talk about these things as they should be standard in a hotel like this.

What makes this hotel exceptional is the quality of service. My first contact with this Four Seasons was just after I've booked my room on their website. They've sent me an email and they even tried to call me all the way from Japan just to check at which time I'd be arriving in the city and if I needed help in getting to the hotel.

On Christmas day I had lunch with some friends and, when I get back to the hotel to decide what to do next, I found a small stocking hanging from my door full of candies. How nice is that?

Finally, when I was checking-out I left my luggage for a couple of hours while I went for a final walk in nearby Ginza. When I came back, they already knew my name, which luggage was mine and that I was taking the Narita Express to go to the airport.

I travel a lot. And, in my opinion, these are the small things that make a top hotel outstanding.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank elderc
FSHMarunouchi, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Elderc,

Thank you for your very lovely and personal comments of our little boutique hotel. I am glad that we were able to " get your right" with the personal touches that we try to extend to each of our guests. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Tokyo soon again.

Daniel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We chose it because it was so close to the train station, but it was great. We had a great view over the bullet train tracks (OK, I admit I like trains), a very comfortable room with lots of glass. And the staff are fantastic, arranging train reservations and collecting our train pass for us and even meeting us from our return train, purely on the basis that they had arranged the reservations so knew what train we would be on. Restaurant is good and comforting, with an excellent restaurant manager, though usual hotel prices.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Camdenuser,

Thank you for taking your time to write your comments about your stay with us. I am a glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that we can welcome you back soon again.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Excellent location, especially if you are utilizing the train system. A couple of blocks from the Ginza for shopping and in there are a great selection of restaurants within walking distance. close byBoutique Hotel with fanatastic service!

Room Tip: The hotel is located on floors 1-7 of the building with the restaurant and spa occupying the 7th. I...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear DennisB,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on our hotel and your stay. Our proximity to Ginza, Imperial Palace and Tokyo Station gives everyone the opportunity to maximize their time during their stay in Ginza.

Bethesda, MD
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great location: The hotel is a only two blocks from the beautiful Ginza area with great shopping, and is just down the block from Tokyo Station, making getting around Tokyo very easy.
Family-friendly enough: While the modern hotel has more of a business feel, we traveled with our three children, and the hotel was very comfortable for our family and, typical of Four Seasons style, the staff was very kind and accommodating to our kids. We were able to get adjoining rooms. The special touch was there too -- for instance, they provided gorgeous personalized cookies on plates and dishes of snacks for the kids upon arrival.
Exceptional Concierge/Service: For instance, the staff walked us to the bullet train and to our airport shuttle down the block (and carted our luggage for us). They offered to accompany us to find the correct subway in Tokyo Station. They went the extra mile to help us whenever we had questions or needs.
Nice Rooms: The rooms and bathrooms were very modern and spacious. L' Occitane products were in the bathrooms. Our rooms overlooked the train tracks with some very slight accompanying noise, but it actually was fun and interesting to watch the bullet trains come and go.
Expensive: Also typical of Four Seasons, room service was crazy expensive (around $45 for a cheeseburger). Basic wifi in the room was free but pretty slow. They arranged our bullet train tickets for us, but the service charge of $50 per ticket was hefty and this probably should have been done gratis given how easily I did it myself on a return bullet train trip.
Overall, I highly recommend. After traveling all the way from the US with kids, It is hard to beat the kindness and service with which we were met at the Four Seasons Marunouchi.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms overlook the train tracks, so if you want a quieter room, you might ask to be loca...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank OpinionistaTraveler
Dear Opinionista Traveler,

Thank you for taking your time to write this very lengthy and detailed discretion of our hotel and our services. I am glad that we were able to take good care of your kids, traveling great distances with children is not always the easiest and we try to ensure that they feel welcome to the hotel. I must apologies if we did not explain what the cash handling charges would be before we went to purchase your train tickets. The charges are standard in the city and cover credit card fees( which are much higher here in Japan ) and the labor of the staff. I hope this did not overly mar your experience with us and that we will see you back in Japan in the not to distant future.

Best Regards

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Having recently stayed at the Peninsula Tokyo and Four Seasons Marunouchi, I have come to the conclusion that while both properties are excellent, they serve different needs for visitors to Tokyo. We had a wonderful time at both properties, but want to highlight the differences for those who are trying to make a decision (or decide when to stay) between these two first class hotels.
The Four Seasons Marunouchi is a small boutique property located in a business high-rise one block from Tokyo Central Rail station. This makes it very convenient when you arrive from Narita airport as they will send a representative to meet you at the Narita Express train platform in the confusing maze that is Tokyo Station to carry your baggage and guide you to your room. The location is excellent if you want to explore the train station (which is a city in itself) and discover the amazing cheap eats of Tokyo Ramen Street (a must visit) to have the best Ramen on earth at Rokurinsha which is listed in a separate review. If you want to go to Tsukiji Market to witness the tuna auction the Four Seasons will book a taxi to get you there (at 4:00 am) in less than 15 minutes so you are essentially guaranteed to get in.
The differences between the Peninsula and the Four Seasons relate to personalized service, location and amenities offered. We loved both hotels, but for different reasons. If you are arriving from the US, I would suggest staying arriving at the Four Seasons and completing your stay at the Peninsula.
The Four Seasons concierge staff in Tokyo is the best that I have encountered on numerous trips worldwide. Through their kind assistance, I was able to book (difficult to obtain) reservations at Sushi Mizutani and Ryugin, as well as purchase box seat tickets to the Sumo tournament in Osaka. They also arranged for personalized (meaning meeting us and taking us to the platform) train transfers at Tokyo station for our arrival from Narita and departure to Kyoto. I would like to personally acknowledge concierges Yoko T. and Akhil T. who were exceptional in assisting us in all of these endeavors as well as explaining how to navigate the subway system so we could explore Tokyo independently.
We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite (a very pleasant surprise) which was excellent in fit and finish albeit with a view of an office building and a large city boulevard instead of a park view like the Peninsula. The only negatives of the Four Seasons relate to the lack of a large lobby lounge (if that is your preference), as well as a lack of an indoor pool (nice if you have kids), and impressive views from your room (unless a view of the Shinkasen is what you desire).
Despite these minor negatives, I tend to prefer small boutique hotels (which was the feel of the Four Seasons) and absolutely loved the rooms, service and location that this hotel offers. I also felt that the Four Seasons was the perfect way to introduce yourself to this vibrant (but complex) city (Thank you Concierge Service!) while the Peninsula was a great way to finish our trip (which has a lobby lounge, swimming pool and nice views but less personalized service) once I was acclimatized to Tokyo and the Ginza district.

Room Tip: If you pick a Shinkasen view room, I could hear the rumble from the tracks from the restaurant on th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank SlickWilliam
Dear SlickWilliam,

Thank you for taking the time to write this lengthy( but wonderful read) review of your stay with us. I have taken the liberty to share your feedback with Akhil and Yoko, two great concierges that have been with Four Seasons Japan for many years. The three of us used to work together at the old Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Chinzan-so a few years ago.

All the best

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

What can you say?

Great location beside the main station. The Imperial palace is a short trip away and you are in the heart of Gina so you have access to great shopping and restaurants within walking distance.

Helpful staff and a really fresh feel made this hotel a highlight in our trip to Japan.

The rooms are a good size and the view of the Shinkanzen trains pulling in and out of the station silently (thanks to the excellent sound proofing) really add to the atmosphere.

The breakfast is great and food is of good quality.

Downsides - its not cheap - but you know what you are getting into staying at a Four Seasons hotel. I personally thought it was excellent value and a fantastic way to end our family trip.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Andrew T
Dear Andrew T,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We enjoyed having you and your family with us and we hope to see you back soon again.

Best Regards

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Excellent concierge staff. Superb restaurant staff who were polite and patient.
Location is good for shopping near Ginza, Tsukiji fish market and to get anywhere via Tokyo station. I would recommend this area over Roppongi which is louder and although more hip, can be tiring. Shibuya is also very nice but loud with too many teenagers getting drunk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pwparkphd1
Dear pwparkphd1,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. Yes, Ginza is a nice haven in the hustle and bustle of Tokyo. We hope to see you back soon again.

Daniel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
#5 of 74 in Chiyoda
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 74 in Chiyoda

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi? Share your experiences!