“Stamp of Approval”

Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi
Ranked #5 of 79 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Booked the hotel about 5 months ahead of time... had 2 nights in Tokyo and wanted to be near the train station. Family was traveling with me, so thought that would be convenient. Location is perfect- 2 minute walk from Tokyo Station if you exit the Yaoue(?) South doors (opposite side of Marunouchi exits. Just out the south door and take a right. The hotel only has 7 floors (rest of the building is an office complex it seems) but the staff treats you like you were the only guests in the whole hotel. They were WONDERFUL with my two young boys- made them cookies with their names on them before arrival.... even had a personalized coloring sheet/survey form for my oldest son. Nice touch. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. Concierge falls all over themselves to be of service--- gave us step by step directions to anywhere we wanted to go plus drew it on a map plus gave us phrase cards to use to show people if we got lost (our Japanese is limited). The restaurant and bar are nice, but nothing out of this world. Gym is better than average. Spa is great. Peaceful, quiet, relaxing, and close to the action if you want that. Definitely gets my stamp of approval.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
FSHMarunouchi, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear tjelke_13

Thank you for writing your review of our little hotel. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay and the services that the staff provided. Hopefully we can welcome you back soon again.

Daniel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you are flying into Narita and taking the Narita express, this hotel is just a few minutes walk from the station. We chose it based on that, and our trust in the Four Seasons brand.

Pros: The rooms are quite new and unusually large for Tokyo, very nice decor. Every other pro is what you would expect from 4S --- everything is perfect and service is great. We stayed under the Fine Hotel and Resorts Program from Amex, under which we got free in-room Shiatsu massages, which were excellent.

Cons: We had room 510 and 511 and the views were non existent. Tokyo to me is kind of blah anyway, and this hotel is no exception. But if I had to be in Tokyo, it'd probably be here or the Grand Hyatt Roppongi (but that is a real hike from Tokyo station)

2  Thank 6ContinentsNCounting
FSHMarunouchi, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear 6ContinentsNCounting,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel, yes we are very close to the station and I am not sure if you took advantage of our complimentary Tokyo Station platform greeting service. The view varies from room to room, we have a selection of rooms that faces Tokyo Station and that is quite mesmerizing to view the Bullet trains come in and out of the station. I am glad that you enjoyed the services and the guest room (minus the views). We are actually renovating our rooms at the moment (soft good only so no noise) and I hope we can entice you to come back soon again.
All the best

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I traveled to Japan this past December 2012. We stayed in Osaka at the St Regis and could not have been treated better by the staff and level of service provided. We finished our trip in Tokyo at the Four Seasons Marunouchi, only to find it to be a complete flop. The hotel is not that nice to start with and it is small. Four Seasons sold us on it as being five star. It is NOT. Maybe a two to three star. There was no butler service as we were told there would be, there is only on "casual" restaurant. I was told that there was a couple and the nicer one required a jacket. (The manager of the restaurant told me they never have had a jacket policy.) The conciegre service was poor at best. When ask to provide maps, they did not. They also told us a cab was waiting outside the lobby door for us during a rain storm. It was not, unless you consider 2 blocks away being just outside the door. My wife had to go upstairs to get something for our children one day, as our children and I waited in the lobby. The greeter thought we were just in there to get out of the rain, until I gave her our room number. The restaurant service was horrible. After finally getting our food, we were three quarters of the way thru the meal before our tea and colas came to drink. This was after three attempts to get it from the waiter, two attempts to get the manager to get it done and finally I went to the bar tender and told her that she either get my family something to drink our I will go to the room mini bar and get the colas out of it. We never did see the waiter again. The manager finally brought the beverages to us. The food during that meal was not that great either. It was, however, well over priced. We had to repeatedly order coffee sweetener and creamer. They would only bring a few packs at the time to the room for the free coffee service.The internet service never worked properly for the two computers unless you paid for the package. Then, we ended up having to order two of those as it did not work the four units it claimed to support. This was NOT level of serivce we received in Atlanta, GA Four Seasons, nor was it up to the level of serivce from the St Regis Hotel in Osaka that we stayed at. This was a total disappointment. We called the corporate office about it and the woman there wanted to argue with me about our experience. She continually told me they have never had any complaints about this property. We discovered that there is/was a second Four Seasons property in Tokyo, quiet by accident, as our taxi driver took us to the wrong one. The Four Seasons corporate told us today that as of 31 Dec 12, they no longer have the second property. After reading reviews online, it sounds as though that other property had many of the same problems that the Marunouchi property has. It seems that the entire staff needs to be sent back to the "old style" Four Seasons school to learn what five star service really is. My wife and I both question whether or not we ever want to stay at another Four Seasons property after this. What we got in service should have only cost one third of what we were charged. A lower level Hilton or Sheraton would have been more comparable to what we got from this location.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...
9  Thank TeufelHundenguy

Dear Perry W,

Your review of our hotel was gut wrenching to read and your experience of our hotel that you left with is not something that we are very proud of. I will contact you via email to see how we could make it up to you. Please do not take your experience here as " the standard of Four Seasons", our sister hotels and resorts are all very well operated and provide excellent service.

Best regards

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Other reviewers have said it all. This is a high quality hotel with excellent staff who go to great efforts to help. They found a lost garment from the spa for me and returned it, they booked restaurants and provided directions, they kept our luggage on several occasions in storage for us.

It is not a big hotel, it is very well located and whilst we enjoyed eating there, the restaurant options seemed limited to us. If only something can be done to further restrict smoking in rooms it would have been even more enjoyable.

Compared to other hotels, it was good value when travelling as a family.

1  Thank BSF G

Dear Ashfield_gp,

I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. You are right, our restaurant selection is limited but we are planning a restaurant renovation for later this year, this should help us accommodate our guests much better. I am in a 100% in agreement with you in regards to smoking and we are currently renovation our rooms and reducing our smoking rooms by 50%.

I hope to see you and your family back with us soon again.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I spent Christmas 2012 at the Four Seasons, Marunouchi-- what perfect combination of a luxury hotel with a relaxing, comfortable feel! From the moment we arrived, the staff accommodated our every need.

1) My husband left his iPad on the plane, and Nana at the front desk called the airline, Narita airport, and a myriad of other places to find it and ensure that we were able to reclaim it on our outbound journey.
2) The concierge provided us with information, directions, and booking for a wonderful performing arts production in Tokyo.
3) On countless occasions, Gerard and the Ekki Restaurant staff provided amazing food and accommodating service despite the busy holiday weekend.
4) The staff's recommendations for other food/nightlife in Tokyo were exactly what we requested. The service of this hotel coupled with very comfortable beds (sometimes hard to find in Japan), great fitness center/ onsen, and small touches like a Christmas stocking on our door made it a wonderful choice for our Christmas holiday.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MerG363
FSHMarunouchi, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear MerG363,

It was a pleasure reading your review this morning. Thank you for recognozing Nana and Gerard and their teams for their dedication to their crafts.Wishing you and your husband a wonderful new year and we hope to see you back soon again.

Daniel Simon

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed here with my parents and we were all amazed at the service. From booking our shinkansen tickets, to the cleanliness of the room, booking of taxis and the escort to catch our train.

Location is very close to Tokyo station, which makes it easy for sightseeing.

The only negative comment would be the views (bullet trains arriving and departing became annoying after a few minutes), however travel is about sightseeing not living in the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Ed C

Dear Ed C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a reiview of our hotel. I am glad that you and your parents enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you back with us soon agaain.

Wishing you a happy new year.

Daniel Simon

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Impeccably clean and discreet. No huge hotel lobby, only a handful of rooms. Excellent staff service. Convenient walk to the underground mall which is connected to it. The hotel rooms are large, great views. Superb beds and linen. Huge bathroom, Occitane toiletries. Surroundings mostly office buildings so not much touristy things to do there, but go underground and there are countless shops and restaurants. Ginza is 8 minutes walk away, Imperial Palace 10 minutes walk.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Conrad Tokyo
Conrad Tokyo
#1 of 118 in Minato

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi? Share your experiences!