“Location is PERFECTION, Service is beyond what is expected”

Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Sydney, Australia
“Location is PERFECTION, Service is beyond what is expected”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here in room 514. All I can say is WOW! The room itself exceeded all expectations. Absolutely lovely- luxurious bedding, deep tub, large shower. Only an easy 5 minute walk from Tokyo station, easy access to Ginza. Taxis are accessible. Staff will meet you at the stop and take you to and from the hotel with a trolley so as to make it easier to get your stuff to and fro. Intimate bar with delicious offerings upstairs on the 7th floor as well as a spa. Additionally, this hotel is situated right over, and has access to, the underground labyrinthine that makes up the retail area (restaurants, pharmacies, bars, clothing, ETC) of Tokyo Station. If you have the means, then you will not be sorry if you stay here at this gorgeous boutique hotel with all the power and prestige of the Four Seasons behind it.

Room Tip: I would imagine that there is not a bad room in this hotel- but I can specifically speak for 514. It...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
FSHMarunouchi, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Pursie,

Thank you for those kind words. We are definatly not a run of the mill hotel but small and boutique and it has its special charm. Room 514 and its cousine below 414 are our most popular rooms; large and with a great view. I hope to see you back soon again,

Best Regards

Daniel Simon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
The Tropics
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This was my first trip to Tokyo, and one of my splurge vacations so I wanted to stay somewhere really nice. I poured through the reviews here for the top hotels and finally decided on this one because most people said it was quiet, close to transportation and had great amenities. I have to agree on all points, it was an excellent stay.

Since it was my first time in Tokyo I opted for the greeter at the airport, which I understood I would pay extra for, but it was worth it. She was extremely efficient and managed to get me on the train to Tokyo in 15 minutes from the time I got out of customs...and that was with a stop at the ATM!

The greeter at Tokyo Station was also great and very necessary since the train and the hotel are at opposite ends of the station, and there was construction going on which was further confusing. I might still be lost there if she hadn't guided me to the hotel.

The staff at the hotel were all great. I was meeting a friend to celebrate a special event and they not only prepared the little welcome champagne I asked for, they also put together a congratulations note and signed it from the staff! I thought that was a very thoughtful touch.

The spa, the bar and the restaurant are all top notch. Food was great, drinks were great, tea was wonderful, spa treatments also excellent.

As some had recommended I asked for a room not facing the station and the one we got was quiet and huge, and wonderful.

One thing I don't remember seeing in other reviews is that there are a lot of good places to eat really close. There is a French bakery/bistro in the office building, several types of restaurants in the basement (Korean, Japanese, Chinese, etc.), you don't even have to go outside. And just a block away is another building with maybe a dozen restaurants of all types, "fast food" in the basement and Mexican, Spanish, Chinese, night clubs etc. on two floors above the street. It was nice to have so many options so close to the hotel.

If I have one piece of criticism and advice, which for the seasoned travelers might be obvious but I was really tired when I got there, it was that I wish I had figured out how much cash I would need, and the exchange rate, before I went to the ATM, really before I even got to Tokyo. The greeter at the airport suggested I would only need a little because everyone takes credit cards and she recommended 10,000 yen. As I only had a few minutes to get to the train I just went with that. She then proceeded to use the 10,000 yen to get my train ticket, which took a hefty chunk out of it and made me realize she had woefully underestimated how much cash I would probably need considering cabs, convenience stores, etc. I did use credit cards for a lot of things but I definitely needed more than 10,000 yen to get around Tokyo for the time I was there. So don't go with the greeter suggestion, figure it out in advance.

Room Tip: I did appreciate the suggestion to choose a room away from the train station, it was quiet and I sti...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank DiveShark
Dear Dive Shark,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I agree with you completely regarding the need for cash here in Japan. Yes, most places take credit cards but the systems here in Japan are a little oudated compared to the US and Europe. I always recommend a traveller to have 20-30,000 yen in cash and then top up from an ATM if needed. I hope to see you back with us soon again.

Best Regards

United States
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and two sons (ages 17 and 20).The hotel is small and low-key, which is just what I wanted in Tokyo.
If you are coming from Narita, I highly recommend taking the Narita Express train. The hotel also provides (for a fee) a meet and greet service, where their representative will meet you outside of customs and escort you to the station and help buy tickets and get you to the platform. On the other end, at Tokyo Station, their staff will meet and escort you to the hotel (which I don't think I would have found without them!).
The rooms are super-comfortable and modern. As the sign in the bathroom says, don't be afraid of the toilet. It is a Toto Washlet, which looks complicated and intimidating, but is actually very efficient, and these toilets are found in most restaurants and public restrooms.
We ate breakfast upstairs in the restaurant every day, and while it was good, I would have liked to see a little more variety in the menu. The daily juice specials were always delicious, and the service was excellent.
I did not use the gym or spa, but it was very hot when we were there, and I was wishing that they had a rooftop swimming pool!

The hotel is lovely, the staff is so kind and accommodating; I don't think you could do better in Tokyo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank carolineBethesdaMd
Dear Caroline,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay with us here in Tokyo. I agree that the airport greeter might be a necessity for a first time visitor to Japan, there is a charge for that because we use an outside vendor that we share with Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Chinzan-so. The greeting service at Tokyo station is complementary to our guests; it is well used, even by Japanese guests because Tokyo Station can be a maze for even us locals. A new breakfast menu will be offered at the end of the month, with much more variety.

I hope that we will see you and your family back with us here in Tokyo or at any of our other 89 Hotels and Resorts around the world.

All the best

Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed here after selling our Pied a Terre in Asakusa and loved it. Our stays in Tokyo are usually GO GO GO. But the Four Seasons shifted us into low gear as we just enjoyed the facility and service. Tokyo is a very service oriented city, but The Four Seasons sets the bar. We won't be staying anywhere else in Tokyo and have just booked our next stay.

Room Tip: As always ask for a high floor!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Derek_Rader
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a very low key hotel but the execution is perfect. This is certainly not a large bustley bling hotel, if that's what you are looking for look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for a well located luxury hotel with spacious rooms and exceptional service this definitely is the place for you.

Pros:
Spacious and luxurious rooms (getting a little bit old)
Great food
Good location (business district and on the door step of Tokyo station)
Exceptional service
Reasonable priced rooms
Meet and greet on train platform on arrival at Tokyo station
Nice gym

Only small detail was we had some noise coming in to the room from trains passing until around midnight. Not a big problem but it may ug some people.

I fully recommend this hotel. It's hard to go wrong with the Four Seasons.

Room Tip: Higher floor room to minimise train noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RST1974
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Our experience with the 4S Marunouchi was overwhelmingly wonderful. Traveling with 2 teenage boys, 15 and 17, can be exhausting as they never seem to tire. We were so very grateful to the hotel staff for their help and genuine kindness. From the meeting at the train station, to breakfast, to purchasing tickets to the Tokyo Giants baseball game(the staff actually ran to the ticket office to buy them for us), to the spa.....the hotel staff was always present and went out of their way to care for us.
They called for taxis and gave printed instructions to the drivers, helped us decide which trains to take, made dinner reservations, and even left candy in the room for the boys.
The room was calming and the beds were extremely comfortable. Bathrooms were perfect. Our view was great, the boys loved watching the people of Tokyo streaming to work in the morning and the city lighting up at night.
We've stayed in beautiful hotels all over the world, from Paris to London to The Via Veneto in Rome, and I have never experienced such great service.
Thanks for making our trip to Tokyo a great one!

Room Tip: Corner double queen rooms opposite the train station seem to have the best views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BridgetJ315
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is a quiet, well run, and comfortable oasis in the hectic center of Tokyo. The staff is friendly and very service-oriented. I have stayed here several times and it is always excellent. The staff really goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. (Note, the fitness room is somewhat lacking, especially in the summer when it gets hot.)

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the train lines are noisier than those overlooking the street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
#6 of 74 in Chiyoda
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
#5 of 74 in Chiyoda

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi? Share your experiences!