“exceed the expectations”

Hotel New Otani Tokyo The Main
Ranked #12 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
“exceed the expectations”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

this is my first visit in Tokyo. I was expecting a decent but very small room and facilities. I found in the New Otani a very nice hotel, with small but reasonable and well equipped rooms, many and various restaurants, gym and all expected in an hotel. recomended

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Idstein, Germany
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed at the New Otani the night before our flight back. We wanted a big and luxury room before boarding a plane with narrow, cramped seats. We arrived via the Metro and were able to use an elevator from Akasaka-Mitsuke station to get to the surface and then wheel our suitcases to the hotel entrance.

When we arrived at the lobby floor, the staff immediately greeted us and took our luggage, which was much appreciated. Check-in was nice and easy, we were asked if we wanted a double bed or two beds. The English of the staff was fine as well, we had a trainee checking us in. The luggage boy (I don't know the right term, I'm sorry. Bell boy?) was very hospitable as well, chatting wiht us, asking if we had already arranged our trip to the airport and recommending the Airport Limousine bus.

Our room was on the 9th floor, big and spacious. The AC was perfect temperature, there were two bottles of complimentary water and while we looked at the parking lot, also had a view of Shinjuku. The only slightly disappointing thing about the room was the bathroom, a bit small and outdated with pink tiles. Nevertheless, the amenities were quite good, bathsalt, shower cap, razor. Nice.

We tried their cake at the Garden Lounge, service was attentive and non-intrusive. The cake was as good as I remembered it to be (I had been there in 2005 and 2007). Later, we also walked around their garden, which is always relaxing and awe-inspiring.

We were sad to leave the hotel, the check-out was quick and efficient and after telling them we were leaving for the Akasaka-Mitsuke station, our luggage was brought to the nearest exit and we were nicely waved off.

Room Tip: The Main rooms seem to be a bit bigger
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank thenihonjin
Willaston, England
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed in the New Otani for 4 nights, room only before connecting to a cruise in Yokohama. The hotel is around 1 hr on the metro from Haneda Airport. The metro is 'do-able' however we have been to Tokyo before and it can be quite daunting as it is very busy, however don't let that put you off as the people are very polite and helpful. I have to say though it was difficult with cases although there are elevators and escalators. The hotel is huge and the staff are very polite. We only ate breakfast once because it was expensive (£30 per head) and some of the food was warm, a little disappointing but the view more than made up for it. The hotel is part of a shopping arcade and offices and was very quiet when were were there. The metro is about a 5 min walk and you can get to travel anywhere. The Imperial Palace is nearby too. There are plenty of good restaurants/bars nearby and would recommend Bums where they do a fantastic steak with garlic mash potato - it's a very trendy busy place, good fun. The area is very safe and I would recommend this hotel for it's convenience. I don't know how much we paid as it was in a package holiday, but I must say when we arrived it was midday, very hot and humid and we had lugged our cases around, and when we checked-in we were told that the swimming pool was out of service (and was for all the duration of our stay) and that was very disappointing as it looked lovely. There is an additional in-door pool but it's at a cost of ab out £30 per person per day and it was an independent business within the hotel complex that has a gym etc. Other than that I would recommend it. Lots of expensive shops in hotel,it has nice gardens with a lovely waterfall.

Room Tip: We were on Level 23 and views were spectacular. I guess the higher up the better the view. There ar...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Bangalore
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I had stayed here for official visit to Tokyo. Felt it was very accessible to my workplace, walkable ofcourse, the restaurant was very nice and helped me get some vegetarian food too. Not sure about expense as company paid it. The place boasts of a great garden and good ambience all around!
This travel was on 2009 and wish it had got better now!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This hotel is definitely getting old, but the service is still great.
Who uses a metal key nowadays in 5 star hotel?...lol I wish they moved onto swipe card key already.
Amenities in the room are awesome, bath salts? Really? Amazing!! Although they could probably upgrade the shampoo, conditioner and shower gel for something more modern instead of good old Shiseido ones.
There were huge group of tourist staying at the same time and they were screaming and shouting in the hall way in the middle of the night.
Room walls are thick enough to block the noise from next room though.
Anything in this hotel is over priced, but that's same everywhere in the world I guess.
Swimming pool should be free for those who are staying there :)

1 Thank ekkachan s
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I stay in New Otani during my business trip this time, I have been to Tokyo more than 10 times and never thought of stay in this area, but after this stay, I think I will consider to come here again next time.

The room is very spacious compare to many other hotel in Tokyo, there is even a sofa corner where you can enjoy a light refreshment, I personally love the toilet too, it;s very spacious yet there is bath top and shower room, also there is a big walking closet in the room, so you will have lots of free space for your shopping.

Hotel staff are very friendly and helpful, it has many restaurant outlets and lots of shop underneath the hotel, if you would like to go to the main shopping area, subway station is just about 10 mins walk away, and it's just a few stop to shinjuku and shibuya.

If you can wake up early (as breakfast finished at 10am every morning), you definitely need to try the outfit close to the nice garden, even though the breakfast is not special, but you will overlook the nice garden with waterfall while you are having breakfast, it's a must try experience in the hotel.

Room Tip: Remember to book the main building t get a nicer room design.
1 Thank Begonia T
Lutherville, Maryland
Reviewed June 15, 2014

The New Otani is always excellent and while perhaps not as elegant as the Park Hyatt or the completely rebuilt Palace Hotel, the value is much better, especially using the package deals available for New Otani Club members - sign up for Club is free.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Akasaka / Roppongi
Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Hilton Tokyo
#4 of 82 in Shinjuku

Been to Hotel New Otani Tokyo The Main? Share your experiences!