“excellent service, central but business district location”

Hotel New Otani Tokyo The Main
Ranked #11 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
New York City, New York
“excellent service, central but business district location”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel is lovely, with well kept grounds and near several useful subway lines, and the service is excellent. For the tourist (as I was), the location is central, but the hotel itself is not really very near anything very interesting - it's in a business district. So one has to take the subway to go most places. That's probably true for most hotels though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank pyreflies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here on business trip, the hotel complex is huge ans confusing, pricey. Room was dated and tired looking. quite a hike to the nearest subway. the high point of my stay was the Mt Fuji view from my window on a clear day. also visible from the upstairs breakfast lounge. very nice!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Leawood, Kansas, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Spent 4 days at the New Otani with my family. Met my very high expactations. While busier than I had imagined - - they do a lot of weddings - - it was never crowded or harried. The service was impeccable. The gardens were beautiful. The overall location was central and convenient. While not cheap, it was excellent value. Given that I wanted my family to experience Japan, it was ideal - - better than staying in a US-branded hotel. I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Paul F
Lincolnshire
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have spent much time in Japan over the last 20 years on business related issues . Much of this time spent in Tokyo . Over this time I have stayed in a number of hotels in Tokyo - some good , some not so good . None of them however particularly memorable - with the exception of the New Otani . In a world where every hotel looks like the last the New Otani stands out as offering the client a substantially different environment . It retains it's old world charm and consistently supplies first class service . It's position is also ideal logistically . Is one of the few hotels I look forward to staying in . The last visit no different to any other - consistently good service in a unique environment . Don't change .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the New Otani Hotel - The Main from June 6, 2013 to June 9, 2013. I wasn't sure what to expect as it seemed like two hotels in one. However, the service was excellent. The staff was super polite and very helpful. The room on the 10th floor was spacious and very comfortable for both of us. Attention to detail is everywhere. The breakfast buffet is quite large and satisfying. We had dinner once at the hotel as we didn't feel like going out. It was ok. The hotel's location is great. The Imperial Palace is about a 30 minutes walk from the hotel if you don't mind walking. There are various train/subway stations within walking distance too. We used the Akasaka-Mitsuke station to move around. Between the Garden Tower and The Main there is a nice looking Japanese Garden with a waterfall. A good place to relax, meditate, or contemplate. Another advantage of staying here is that the limousine bus from Narita Airport will drop you off at the hotel. It takes at least about an hour to get to the hotel. The cost is 3,000 yen one way. The hotel complex is huge as there are many retail stores between the two buildings (Garden Tower and The Main). We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
INDIA
Reviewed June 3, 2013

One of the most well appointed hotels in Tokyo in the Akasaka area, well connected with trains and subways. This hotel has a wonderful Japanese garden which itself is a fantastic tourist attraction. With large lobby and a wonderful Tower and Main wing, this hotel truly delivers to the expectation of a 5 star property. The staff is as usual very very helpful and the breakfast is well spread.

Room Tip: Choose the CLub room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We got a few good nights' sleep here and didn't pay too much (thanks, devalued yen!). But what I remember most about the New Otani is what a sad, dated hotel complex this is. The "Main" Tower was built in 1964 and I LOVE that time period architecturally. I think this place was a stunner back then. It's been selectively updated, but mostly neglected. As in, wildly. This chain isn't very current in Japan, and I don't think they can or really want to bring the hotel back to its former glory. I don't regret staying here, but would NEVER ever do it again.
We reserved a room in the "Main" part of the hotel... which is the original 17-story tower dating back to 1964 (with three wings spreading from an elevator bank. Very Vegas, pre-Vegas). The exterior has been recently re-clad in new, soundproofed glass (it really works), so from the exterior, the tower looks fresher than it really is. The car entrance/lobby area has been remodeled, too, as have the hallways and elevator banks. The rooms, however, are only semi redone. Ours featured new carpeting and drapes, half new/half old furniture, surprisingly hard mattresses, an old gilded mirrored dressing area and a tiny, FUNKY, circa 80's pink-tiled bathroom with a raised floor that's up 2 inches off the bedroom floor (for drainage, I presume?). Let's just say the room looks WAY better in pictures.
When we checked in very late on a Saturday during "Golden Week"... kind of like Japanese Spring Break... our initial encounter with a front desk clerk was very pleasant and he was really nice and formal in that wonderful Japanese way. However, when we came down to switch rooms for a better view (turns out we couldn't that night), the next clerk was a total jerk (I would have got his name, but I was too tired... he did wear glasses). He really didn't want to help us until the original clerk came over to see what was up. I wasn't expecting that in Japan. And quite frankly, it was the only time during our whole stay we encountered anyone even vaguely rude. The best part of Japan is how considerate and polite people are when you deal with them. (I wouldn't want to live there because of how regimented it is, but it's great for a visit).
Thought we booked a deluxe room, we settled for a downgrade (unbeknownst to us) to a "standard" room that we actually liked a lot better. It was the width of two rooms with floor to glass windows. Stunning, really. Best part of the hotel by far. Most rooms are single width in a typical railroad car design. We spent a lot of time having cocktails while admiring the view of Shinjuku.
We went to great lengths to get that view (turns out it's the one they feature in their ads and website). We originally asked for a Japanese Garden view... we didn't get one anyway. Not many of the hotel rooms look out on Shinjuku, but the higher ones in the wing facing the parking lot and car entrance do. A parking lot view sounds bad, but go for it. You'll get a really nice park/Shinjuku skyline/sunset vista. I could see even see Mount Fuji when I squeezed against one wall and pushed my face to the glass (I obviously didn't see it a lot as a result). Still, it was all covered in snow and quite beautiful.
The main problem with our stay was the "Main" hotel is connected to its "newer" tower, dubbed the "Garden Tower" for no reason. It is beyond dated. (It's listed on TA as a separate hotel. It's a separate world, full of bus tour guests). There's NO excuse for not remodeling it since 1983. Seriously, it hasn't been touched in 30 years. (Or, if it has, they've only done little tweaks that make it look sadder and cheaper). The shopping "mall" that connects the two is really antiquated, too... with horrible sparkly $20 T-shirt shops and oddly pricey jewelry stores, manned by the original owners from 1964. They look really tired, as does the mall. You just cannot believe how ugly the carpeting between the towers is. And the light fixtures. And the weird stucco arches. And the weird green granite seating areas along the corridor. The main restaurant overlooking the Japanese garden features a bright burgundy and, again, green decor. It is just so unbelievably depressing to walk past it every day. It's like you're stuck in a really ugly time warp.
The exterior around the garden is falling apart. The garden itself is pretty and well-maintained, but once you've taken a walk through it, you're done. The fitness center is a joke. Tiny. No weights. The business center next door, however, has free internet connection on PCs. The very nice women running it will charge you about 40 cents to print your boarding pass, however.
This hotel, courtesy of its large ballroom, meeting spaces and vast parking lot, still gets a lot of high-end events. It's oddly fun to watch the huge entrance in action when there's a big shindig going on. It reminded me of the Beverly Hilton in BH.
The New Otani was built as a city unto itself right before the Tokyo Olympics in '64... so it's not close to ANYTHING new, charming or interesting. If you venture from the hotel to the subway, though the Akasake-Mitsuke station is closer, it's in a less appealing area (though by no means even remotely dangerous). I'd recommend heading north to Yotsuya station instead. It's on the same line, it's a nicer stroll and in a way better-looking residential/commercial area. There is a good McDonald's and Starbucks right by the Akasake-Mitsuke station, however, which is where we had breakfast every day.
Wifi at the hotel was free in the lobby. Less convenient than in the room, but nevertheless, free. Just ask for the ID and password at the front desk. We never bothered with the restaurants or bars in the hotel, or with room service. They were pricey and honestly, I'm not sure what the quality would be. There is a Tour D'Argent (the only branch outside Paris) in the mall... a sign of the hotel's original status, no doubt. However, I'm not sure why you'd want to eat there.
Ultimately, this is just an old workhorse hotel that's been paid off forever and is too big to make really good. I suppose they're trying, but it's too little and much too late. Our experience wasn't bad as much as depressing. The rest of Tokyo is so bright and shiny and incredibly up-to-date, we were bummed about our choice of hotel here.

Room Tip: Get a Shinjuku view on a higher floor with the double-wide windows!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Andrew W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Akasaka / Roppongi
Hotel Niwa Tokyo
#9 of 74 in Chiyoda
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo

Been to Hotel New Otani Tokyo The Main? Share your experiences!