“Good location”

Hotel New Otani Tokyo The Main
Ranked #10 of 82 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

The best of the hotel was the good location - if you want to go from there in all the directions / parts of Tokio. What I did't liked was that the spa was not included in the roomprice. So I haven't seen the spa. The restaurants in the hotel are expensive, but there is a coffee shop, where we got our coffee in the morning.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,609)

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed at the New Otani Main for 11 nights on a business trip. This is a good hotel for a business trip but if I were paying the bill, I'd look elsewhere. The room was much larger than expected and quite nice, although I didn't do much more than sleep and shower there. I was quite impressed with the hotel staff, all were extremely helpful for check in and whenever I needed assistance. The location was very convenient to the Asakasa area and the Tokyo subway system, which was just a couple of minutes outside the doors of the New Otani Garden Tower. Even though I wasn't footing the bill, the cost of all of the restaurants and bars was so high, even by Tokyo standards, that I didn't eat or drink there once. I was also very disappointed in the "gym" available in either the Main or the Garden Tower. For a huge hotel catering to many business travelers, you would think they could invest a few dollars on a decent selection of equipment. I've seen better facilities at very modest hotels in the U.S. At least there are some decent running routes nearby. Overall, a nice hotel but I may not return due to the expense of the hotel restaurants and the lack of exercise facilities.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 9th Feb 2013 to 10th Feb 2013.
I picked this place because of the location and the price.
I tried to book global hotel brands such as Hilton, Hyatt, Mandarin Oriental, Shangrila and etc., however, the price was beyond my budget so I had to pick here.
The hotel is very old inside and outside. I stayed at Main bldg but not the renovated deluxe room.
standard twin had enough room for 2 adults and 1 child, 9 yrs old. I wanted the room with garden view but the hotel had too many guests. I guess it's because of Mitsukoshi Dept. sale in the hotel so I had to stay with the view of parking lots. A little disappointment.
Staffs were very friendly though the uniform was really out of fashion and style.
They have staff who can speak English very well, probably the best I've ever seen in my three visits to Japan. And there even was a staff who can understand and speak Korean as well. I bet she's a Korean but I didn't have time to ask or look at her name tag.
The garden was not that big but everything you look for. The restaurants, fishes, pond, waterfalls, sand-garden and etc. We could even see a rainbow at the waterfall.
Overall, a great hotel that can take you down to memory lane in Japanese mood.

Room Tip: Standard twin had just enough size if you are a party of 2 adults and 1 child under 7~8 yrs old.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank coldim
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Every -thing from the check-in to the check-out was beyond our expectation.
Location, services ,comfort and food were excellent. A small example to highlight my comment.
We stayed here for 4 nights . It was 2+2 i.e. we stayed 2 nights then checked out for 1 night in Kyoto and checked in again. We had left our luggage in the hotel . Even before we checked in again it was sent to our room. This speaks of the efficiency.
Once again ,to enjoy Tokyo it is worth staying here.

Room Tip: rooms on the higher floors in the main building with the garden view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank avrr
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Definitively the 50's. coming from a 5* hotel in Hong Kong this property was a real let down. Rooms are small, bathrooms tiny done in pink tile, a shower curtain, not even a glass enclosure. Storage space was limited. Room was not made up until late in the afternoon.

There was a promotional price in effect so it was an ok value but were that not the case I would be unhappy. Breakfast buffet was just ok. On the plus side the omelette chef was an artist. Prices in the restaurants are quite high, but the view of Mt. Fuji couldn't be beat. Will definitely try something else the next time I'm in Tokyo.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank JZ16
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights; it's an interesting, large, rambling place with an olde world feel and charm. There are heaps of restaurants (including at least one where there is a piano player/other musicians) and some good shops that are part of the hotel complex, and it's very close to Akasaka-mitsuke subway station which about five different lines run through. Taking the wrong exit from the station one evening I found a very vibrant night life area with bars and open air cafes etc. My room in the main building had great city and parkland views with Mt Fuji in the distance and also overlooking the hotel's own garden (400 year history). The staff were polite and attentive. The room was average size with the desk area a little small. The only real downside was having to pay for internet access, with a limited choice of 10 minutes, 24 hours or a week (whereas 1-2 hours per night would have suited my needs better).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Anne M
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for second time now. It has an excellent location with great view for the rooms. The hotel staff is very courteous and polite. Further, the hotel is very large as it has two buildings - The Main and Garden Tower, it offers various options for different restaurants and cuisines. The rooms might be little small but it is worth the location and service.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms in the Main tower. Better accessibility.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank snazzy12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Akasaka / Roppongi
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
#4 of 82 in Chiyoda
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza Premier

Been to Hotel New Otani Tokyo The Main? Share your experiences!