“Don't waste your time”

Sky Bus Tokyo
Ranked #11 of 22 Tours in Chiyoda
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was not the first time we took a hop on off bus. Our expectation was a bit high once we decided to take this bus. Then we reliased that it was a bad decision to take this bus in Tokyo.

The reasons are:
1. You are not allowed to sit on the lower deck no matter how cold the weather is.
2. The guide is mostly not able to communicate in English, while the audio guide only contains unnecessary information and mostly songs
3. Even though they have 3 different routes, but the frequency is a bit dissapointed (1 hour in between)

Finally we decided to take train/metro which is faster and efficient, even though the distance between trains at the transit station is a bit far, but walking is a healthy exercise anyway.

Price for 1-day trip is ¥1800 while 2-day trip is ¥2500.

2  Thank ANJ002

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I tried out the hop on hop off rides over two days. I have used several similar City Sightseeing in Europe and love them because they are so informative. The guides here are very friendly and I was impressed that they can speak nonstop for the whole ride describing the sights,- in Japanese. 95% of the English prerecorded tape is music, then you get "the building on the right is the XYZ and contains 100 shops". Or that shrine you just went by and missed is the XYZ shrine. Meanwhile the guide is non stop speaking in Japanese. The tape does not say get off here and see the so and so, so you tend to just sit. I was wondering why we did make certain stops and what was just around the corner I missed. The views and experience are great, with obvious landmarks, and probably worth the money, but it could be so much better. Please Sky Bus, just record any guide on the trips, and have someone bi-lingual repeat and record it in English, it would be so much better than that mindless music all the time.

4  Thank peter180
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We tried to Sky Bus Tokyo tour to see the highlights. The best I can say was that it was a reasonably pleasant $18 bs ride. We try the Big RedBus in most cities as a starting point when we don't knw where to start. In most cities, multiple languages are offered via headsets. This tour must cater specifically to locals (why locals would take the Sky Bus, I'm not sure)
Anyway, the audio in Japanese was broadcast OVER A LOUDSPEAKER! This means if you'd like to hear the English version (which was sparse---a few sentences separated by block & blocks of loud music) you CAN'T HEAR the description of the attraction! We tried turning up the volume to drown out the loudspeaker......but the intermittent music was too loud to increase the volume enough to hear. Certainly, as more travelers from different languages visit Tokyo this will improve (they are nominated for a 2020 Olympic site)

2  Thank Jeanann J
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Unlike some other reviewers I actually quite liked the skybus tour. I had been in Tokyo for 8 days already doing the subway thing and had no sense or idea of things happening overland. We also always go on a hop on hop off bus when we’re in a city and have been on numerous - London, Munich, Paris, Syndey.

The bus leaves from outside the Mitsubishi building on the first street to the left if you exit the Tokyo station from the Marunouchi exit.

There are three circuits of about 1.5 – 2 hours, some that overlap and you could hop on and off and catch a different route. A lot of the sights and attractions of Tokyo are covered here. The routes and times are well detailed and laid out in the brochure you can get from the ticket office which is also the place you get on at. Or on the website http://skybus.jp/?lang=en&no=.

You get a 24 hour pass for 1800yen or ($20US) which is, I think, good value in a very expensive city. The buses ran like clockwork when I used them, they may wait at a stop until it’s time to leave but it was never more than a few minutes.

Agreed the commentary (via headphones for English speakers) could be more detailed but it was always being played as we more or less went by each sight. The music interspersed did get a little annoying! I travelled with the Timeout 2010 Tokyo guide book (which I found very good for information) and also the The Getting Around Tokyo Pocket Atlas and Transportation guide to get my bearings and have a decent guide to the underground network. I certainly didn’t rely on the hop on hop off bus commentary for my main information on Tokyo.

I think to get the most out of the trip, one has to do some homework when visiting Tokyo, it’s huge and there’s so much to see and do. Relying on the hop on hop off bus commentary is not going to give you a good insight into the city. It will, however, give you a good visual orientation of the city you won’t get by travelling the trains.

I would recommend rugging up warm as there is only the option to sit upstairs, make sure you do get the seats that are partially covered. Wear a hat and have an extra blanket and your thermals on at this time of the year! To make the trip more enjoyable get a takeout coffee from Starbucks in the building where the ticket office is located.

All in all a very worthwhile tour, well done, on time, and clean bus. The Odaiba route is especially spectacular.

10  Thank yeowon
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Our January two day Sky Hop Bus tour experience left us out in the cold and also out of touch with Tokyo. Unlike other Hop On Off buses we have toured on in various cities, the Tokyo Sky Hop Bus lacks an appropriate commentary about interesting sights to see at each stop. The Sky Hop Bus has three different bus routes, each lasting about 90 minutes with buses running at one hour apart. The brochure /map provided totally lacked information about area restaurants or entertainments. The commentary was mostly repetitive music - very little past or present history was included.

The double decker buses were open topped and in January at 37 degrees Farenheight, not very enjoyable. The lower portion was closed to travelers. On one route a standard bus was substituted which was a huge improvement in the cold weather. Most times we were the only ones on the entire bus!

If you plan on taking this tour in the winter, dress warmly. If you take this tour,,,come prepared with your own maps and do your research so you'll know what to see at the various stops.

The cost of a 24 ticket was 1800 yen, 2500 yen for 2 days. First tour starts at 10:05 and the last at 6:50 PM.

6  Thank cleo1209