“Experimental but disappointing ”
Review of Inua

Inua
Ranked #698 of 8,725 Restaurants in Chiyoda
Neighborhood: Yotsuya / Iidabashi
Neighborhood: Yotsuya / Iidabashi
Reviewed May 25, 2019 via mobile

We tried the out short tasting menu at Inua. I had not read any reviews beforehand and had not eaten at Noma previously so had no expectations of the meal.

The restaurant is located in a quiet area of Chiyoda in a newly renovated two storey space. It is large and spacious. Surprisingly almost all of the staff are foreign. Also most guests were foreign (and appeared to be tourists).

The meal started well. The focus is on using local ingredients (largely vegetables) in new ways including dehydration and pickling. Being largely foreign staff, there are no preconceptions on how the ingredients should be cooked. They have a large testing lab as well.

The highlight dish was a large mushroom which was smoked for a number of days. The “main” was a dish of rice with bee larvae. It was interesting although we wondered about the sustainability of the dish. We also shared a wine pouring.

Service was friendly and we got a tour at the end of the meal.

Our main issue was value for money given the experience - our menu was about Y23,000 before drinks and taxes. Yes it’s Tokyo so the prices are expensive but we actually weren’t full after the short menu (we aren’t big eaters) and found the meal to be expensive given the type of produce (one dish with fish; rest were largely vegetables). I suspect bigger eaters would be hungry after the meal. Also without a menu or to even know how many dishes we would get, we didn’t really understand the story of the meal and how it all fit together. We have eaten at other globally recognized western style restaurants in Tokyo for nearly half the price which were exceptional, as well as other experimental restaurants globally. We unfortunately overall were disappointed with Inua.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank Vegemitelover

Reviewed May 16, 2019

is the title of a fantastic Ian Dury song that reflects perfectly our visit at Inua. a spontaneous warm welcome, an inviting soothing interior, a lovely and enthusiastic service, extraordinary foodexperience and a wonderful winepairing with a sake on sherrybarrels that i will never forget.
the result was far beyond our already high expectations. thomas frebel and his multiculti team brought us to what must be gastronomic heaven. two weeks after visiting the restaurant we still live on that culinary INUAcloud.
the tastingmenu was a true discovery to us of different unknown japanese products brought in a splendid creative way, ECOFOOD FOR MIND AND BODY.
the whole experience made is so happy and so grateful that we already decided to go for "a reason to be cheerful part 2" chapter next year.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 10, 2019 via mobile

A beautiful space and excellent food and service. Successful fusion of European and Japanese cuisines in a Kaiseki style meal with excellent results. Highly recommend but be prepared for a big check

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed February 20, 2019

My wife and I ate here in November 2018. The experience was thoroughly satisfying. Each dish was a revelation, created from locally sourced, choice ingredients and put together to obtain taste profiles we agreed we had never experienced before. The emphasis on taste, and, to a lesser extent presentation, is gimmick-free. This is a serious restaurant (with serious prices) but without snobbery. The staff are friendly and courteous, as well as knowledgeable. The kitchen is open and the whole dining space has an airy, relaxed atmosphere, belying the extreme attention to detail that has gone into the menu. For those who can afford it, Inua is fair value and definitely worth investigating.

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank TheRoadLeast
Reviewed December 15, 2018 via mobile

Can i start by saying that i was so moved and captiavted by my experince at Inua that i have joined Tripadvisor JUST to leave this review. I like many others read reviews and determine where to go based ultimately on the words and experiences of others and with a score 3.5/5... i normally would not have given Inua a look in! My sister had previously dined at Inua and she was raving about it for days... so i thought i would give it a try. I went in a complete skeptic, with no expectations... but my god... WAS I WRONG!!!

This was a sensory, moving and thought-provoking experience from start to finish. Me and my buisness partners were was just in awe! We have already re-booked 2 more times for December. What chef Thomas is doing is really out of this world. He is the most nicest and humblest person. I even had the honour to meet the man and have a tour of the test kitchen on another floor. The scale and size of the place is massive. AND.... Why why why... they do not have a michelin star yet is beyond me, but at the same time (selfishly) it is also in my favour - because when they do this place will be impossible to get into.

For those negative comments that i read that deterred me from going to Inua, i am sorry but i can honestly say that the problem is you and your lack of palate and not the astronomical flavours, textures and creative dishes that they are serving up. The service was impeccable. It is clear to see how passionate the team are... the dish and wine explanations extremely interesting. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Keep up the amazing work team and you will reap the benifits that follow!!!!!!!!!
See you all again very soon. WE CAN NOT WAIT!

Date of visit: December 2018