“Choice Hotel in Tokyo”
Review of Hotel Niwa Tokyo

Hotel Niwa Tokyo
Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Niwa in early November. I arrived after a business trip in Europe and flew into Narita Airport.. This was first visit to Japan and I was on my way to Osaka to visit my son who is on a six month assignment. I have to admit to being cautious flying into a country where I knew next to no language and only the vaguest idea how to get to the hotel (I had meant to do my research before leaving home but never found the time)!! I needn't have worried. The reception received from airport staff through to the hotel was polite, courteous and patient. I send my large bag directly to Osaka from the airport (it is a nightmare travelling with lots of baggage on public transport in Japan - so I was pleased to know about this service!!) After purchasing a Suica special pass combined with Narita Express ticket and a one way ticket on the shinkasen to Osaka, I negotiated my way from the airport to the hotel with the minimum of confusion (even though there was a couple of change overs).
And what a wonderful place to stay (thank you for the recommendation Trip Advisor)! I arrived at the hotel a little worse for wear having stepped off a 12 hour flight, plus train transfer into a very warm Tokyo day. The staff were so polite and welcoming and I was shown straight to my room. Small (by western standards perhaps) but immaculately clean and with every possible convenience! I loved the pajamas - what a lovely touch. I never quite got the hang of the air conditioning but opened the window for fresh air. The free Wi-Fi is much appreciated - and I used an adapter supplied by reception until I hit "Electric City" and made my own purchase. The hotel is very well situated with a well stocked 7/11 right next door and many restaurants within walking distance. The railway station was very close and the underground not far. I travel alone and felt very safe at the hotel and walking around the neighbourhood. I have recommended the hotel to my son (a reasonably priced and wonderfully central place to stay) when he gets a weekend off!
I recommend this hotel highly - it is a great place to stay!! Thanks so much.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank Tanea H
K57, General Manager / Keisuke Hitomi at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2011

Thank you so much to stay with us and give us a very nice comment at the trip advisor. We are looking forward to serving you & your son. I would like to inform you that we were given two pavilions by “Michelin Guide Tokyo, Yokohama, Kamakura 2011” for the category of ‘Comfortable Hotel’ two years in a row. We would like to express our thanks for your continued business and support.

Reviewed December 28, 2010

We booked this hotel because of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Noticing that the rooms were small, we didn't expect to be shocked, however cramped they turned out to be, taking the low price into consideration.

We arrived at the hotel around noon after a long flight from Europe, and unfortunately the room was not ready on our arrival. This turned out to be the only disappointment during our trip to Tokyo, but I'm not blamimg the hotel staff. The 'problem' is probably that the hotel is becoming too popular because of favourable reviews on TripAdvisor, which is understandable.

The short version is that our stay at Hotel Niwa was simply fantastic. The standard room we had booked was small, but perfectly adequate for two people. The bathroom was more than adequate - I just love the advanced toilet. . :-D

The bed was very comfortable, and we didn't notice any noise from the surroundings, so we slept like bears during winter.

The hotel is located just a short walk from a subway station, so it's easy to travel around Tokyo. In the immediate neighbourhood, there's not much of interest. The Tokyo Dome area has a number of restaurants, but we preferred to go other and more interesting areas. In the immediate vicinity of the hotel, there are several shops, some of them open 24 hours, where it's possible to buy whatever a weary traveller needs, including alcoholic beverages.

I'll have to say that this hotel ranks among the top 5 I've ever stayed at, as far as price/ accomodation quality is concerned. So if you're planning a trip to Tokyo, book a room a Hotel Niwa!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roede

We are very appreciated you to choose & stay our hotel in Tokyo and recommend us to the other travelers at the trip advisor. However, we are so sorry that we couldn’t check you in when you arrive after your long trip. Especially, for the foreigners guests, we try to check them in earlier, if the room is ready, even the regular check in time is 3pm. But, as you said, if the room is not ready, it’s impossible. All our stuff are looking forward to serving you again.

Reviewed December 28, 2010

I visit Tokyo a few times a year, after I read the reviews plus Michelin Guide and I would like to give it a try. I read `Misleading hotel` comment and I`m a bit worry about the hotel but everything works well! The Wi-Fi is good, the bed is very comfy, according to japanese standard, the bed is good size. Breakfast is delicious, There`s a refresh Lounge on 3 Floor, got free massage chairs and a nice place for smoking. The room rate is affordable.Definitely, this is my choice of favorite hotel in Tokyo!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank macarons0419

Thank you very much to stay with us. We are so happy to hear that you thought our hotel is like “Oasis in Tokyo.” If you visit Tokyo a few times a year, please stay with us always. We promise to make you happy. We are looking forward to seeing soon again and again.

Reviewed December 26, 2010

My son and I had an excellent stay in the hotel, can't recommend it and staff highly enough.

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank harrygt
K57, General Manager / Keisuke Hitomi at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2011

Thank you very much to stay with us, and write “Excellent” about our hotel at the trip advisor. We will do our best to improve our service and we hope all our customers will feel like you. We are looking forward to seeing you and your son again.

Reviewed December 22, 2010

Stayed for a week, enjoyed my stay though room is small much cheaper than other hotels. Decent choice for breakfast and the restaurant was spectacular

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rooney1982

Thank you very much to stay a week with us. We are so happy to hear that you enjoy your stay and like our restaurant. We are looking forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed December 17, 2010

We booked this hotel after looking at dozens of other options. Our most important criteria were location, fast wireless Internet access and a bed that could comforttably sleep 2 adults. We were very dissapointed to see that the beds are very small despite the description being WIDE double bed and the picture clearly showing a much larger bed. The wireless Internet started off fast but after less than an hour it is pathetically slow. Often not fast enough to download a single email in less than 5 minutes. It seems to me that they have a script running on the server that throttles you when you have used a certain amount of bandwidth. This is totally unacceptable. I have had to spend over $200 using my 3G roaming. We have raised both issues with management and they could not care less. We cannot wait to get out of here and will definitely not be back.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
15  Thank Dreamteamsa
Reviewed December 15, 2010

If you are planning an unforgettable self-guided Tokyo adventure, you owe it to yourself to stay at this hotel while you're there. You've maybe reached this site because you're planning to visit Tokyo without a tour group--and you're probably on foot too. You're in luck: this hotel is ideal for your needs. The other Tripadvisor reviews are absolutely correct: the comfort and quality of service in Niwa are stellar. Elegant simplicity, backlit beds, down pillows, sliding doors masking the windows are all great touches. It's impeccably clean too. Nonsmoking floors smell pristine. And, despite its modern flare, it still feels like a cozy hotel! Without a doubt I will be staying here again the next time I visit Tokyo.

My spouse and I got married in November 2010 and stayed at Hotel Niwa for our honeymoon not long after. I had briefly been to Tokyo once before, but returned in order to sightsee as many wards of Tokyo as possible in 6 days (and to give my wife the best vacation of her life!) This hotel did not disappoint. What's great about Niwa is not only its proximity to the JR rail, but also to a useful station on the subway system!

I wanted to share some things I learned to help others who hopefully decide to stay at Niwa:
- get a combined NEX round trip pass with Suica card from the airport if you come from Narita. Get to Niwa via JR Suidobashi station. You'll save money and it's not hard to find your way around.
- There's also a subway station nearby and I would recommend you use it to your advantage when navigating!
- the easiest ATM is at 7 eleven, not the post office. There are two within 3-5 minutes walk from the hotel.
- Niwa rooms have a mini fridge to store goodies! One great place to stock up on drinks, etc is a supermarket on the bottom floor of LaQua center, 8-10 min walk north of the hotel. You can't miss it. Look for the roller coaster that passes through a hole in the top of the building facade (you read that right)!
- The local Chiyoda area isn't as dull as it's made out to be. If you travel in the winter, The Tokyo Dome area has a lights festival at night, in 3 areas around the stadium which are gorgeous!
- The nearby Meets Port shopping center north of JR Suidobashi station, has a delicious bakery named Chez Lui. If you have no food restrictions, this is a great place to eat breakfast while watching the morning business traffic!
- Some of the Niwa rooms are southwest facing, and you may be able to admire the rooftop college volleyball and pitching fields in the afternoons. I have never seen a volleyball court on the roof of a building before.

To the staff of Hotel Niwa: Honto ni, arigatou gozaimasu. Mata ne!

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mung765
K57, General Manager / Keisuke Hitomi at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2010

Thank you very much to stay with us and write such great comment about us. Also thank you very much to share about your great experience for our next customers. We are looking forward to serving you soon again. I would like to inform you that we were given two pavilions by “Michelin Guide Tokyo, Yokohama, Kamakura 2011” for the category of ‘Comfortable Hotel’ two years in a row. We would like to express our thanks for your continued business and support.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo
Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo
Shinagawa / Gotanda
Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo

Been to Hotel Niwa Tokyo? Share your experiences!