“Delayed review”

Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Oslo, Norway
“Delayed review”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in October 2013, but did not get down to write a review till now. This was our first visit to Japan and the hotel and staff from the moment we arrived at the hotel made us to feel so welcome and incredible help and politeness from all the staff. We have stayed in many star class hotels, but the service here was top of the range. The room was big enough and everything worked. We also want to thank the breakfast room staff for meeting us everyday morning with the smile and excellent service. Also thanks to the staff at the restaurant for going all out in helping us to find different restaurants etc. If we are back this will be the place to stay.
Thanks again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
M3810, Guest Relations at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Deawr ChrisOslo,

I was thrilled to read your very kind comment regarding our hotel and staff.
Your kind comments regarding the team make me so proud of them.
I hope you’ll keep brilliant memories of your time in Tokyo and wish our next visit to us.

Yuriko Suneya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Used this hotel as a base for two nights whilst shopping for Tokyos snow/sport/ski bargains before hitting the slopes! Cute clean rooms, free massage chairs and close to both metro and JR lines. Didn't eat at the restaurants because of all the options available outside. Will definitely be back though, thank you Niwa!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AshleighFergus,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.
As you mentioned that Hotel Niwa Tokyo has an ideal location in aspect of convenience.
It is only 5 minutes from JRl and metro station, and there are many shops and restaurants around the hotel.
It seems you have had pleasant journey here in Tokyo, and your comment did encourage our hotel staff a lot. Thank you so much again, and we hope to be in your service again in near future.

Munich
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

I spent in Feb 2014 one week at the Niwa: it is a great place! And it offers a excellent price-value relation. Definitely, my choice for the next Tokyo trip.
First of all, just a couple of steps to the JR station Suidobashi and subway station. Both bring you quickly to all major places. Best you use for that a Suica Card. Fastest way to the airport: local line to Yamanote JR line in Akihabara then change in Nippori to the Keiso Skyliner train . Makes it about 70 min door-to-door. And some other places are even in walking distance: Kanda bookstore alley, Idobashi cobble stone streets,...
Any facility within the hotel is impeccable: nice reception, nice rooms, good service. Reception people well trained and with good command of English. Great bed - based on the recommendations I took a double which is almost Queen size - and modern interior. Small but very functional and good design. Good WLAN Service. Bathroom fully equipped: incl. multifunctinal toilet seat. Service in room gives you every day new pyjama and bathroom .
I never used the two restaurant inside (western) or in the backyard (Japanese) but both looked very nice. On the way to the next JR station many coffee bars with a much better value for a small breakfast. For lunch and dinner: Tokyo offers you thousands of choices. Even around the hotel many choices of different kind. I found even a small bar with great Belgian beer to have some feling of being home.
Enjoy the stay

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Stefan F
M3810, Guest Relations at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Stefan F,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Niwa Tokyo as your home away from home. We appreciate to hear that you liked the stay with us, and had pleasant time in Tokyo. Actually, your review and feedback would help us a lot to improve our service, and we wish you will be back to visit us again in near future.

Hotel NIwa Tokyo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 14, 2014

i recently spent 7 nights (Feb 2014) in this lovely hotel, the staff are friendly, English speaking, it's located about 5 mins walk from Suidobashi (JR line or Toei Mita line), plenty of convenient stores around. One point worth mentioning, our room had a full size bath tub which is amazing after a long day out in the cold, highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank conholio
M3810, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear Conholio

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review.
We are so happy hear that you had a good time with us.
Please recommend to you friends about our hotel.
Thank you again and our friendly staff we look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Guest Relations Manager
Mie ITO
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I asked my dad to give me a tour around Tokyo for my birthday and so he did. The best part is the trip was for me and my best friend. We booked our stay over the weekend at Hotel Niwa Tokyo and the best weekend in Tokyo ever. We would want everyone to have their stay in Tokyo be complimented with the hidden hospitality treasure in Japan. Enjoyable Breakfast was served. The rooms were very clean and to very calming. The sheets, the pillows and the bed were my favorite because I always get my beauty rest every night. The receptionist and other front desk people were very obliging and had such pleasing personality.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
M3810, Guest Relatons at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear HamptonAli,

I was so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found that all aspects of your stay met your expectations. I have passed on your kind words to my brilliant team at the hotel who I am sure appreciate your feedback.
Thank you.

Gueset Relatoins
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Good location: quiet area, but still close to the city center. Very close to transit lines: about 3 minutes walk to JR Rail station and about 7-10 minutes to metro lines). So half an hour (including walking) will take you by train/metro to all major stations (Shinjuku, Akihabara, Tokyo Central or Ueno)

Hotel itself is very impressive. Rooms are very nicely designed and not small at all. There is no view (which is OK - standard for this type of a hotel) but the absence of a view is expertly masked by a very nice "rice paper style" window shade. Rooms are immaculately clean - even by high Japanese standards.

Hotel staff is very helpful and attentive. They will help you with directions, including area maps and train/metro lines suggestions.

To summarize, all reviews here are right on the spot - this hotel is great. The price is a bit on the high end - so try and look for some sort of a deal or promotion (We were able to get one, which was nice).

I will definitely stay there again on my next trip to Tokyo.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
M3810, Guest Relations at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Anton P,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. Although Hotel Niwa Tokyo is conveniently located near the rail station, and centre of the city, but we also offer travelers an oasis of relaxation with many accent of Japanese décor, and we very appreciate with your positive comment about it. In the guestroom, you should also have found lots of “Modern Japanese” such as stylish woody interior and “Shoji” paper screens offer truly relaxed feeling.
Wishing your next visiting will be soon.

Washington, DC
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I am always afraid that I'll be completely disappointed in what I find via Tripadvisor when it is highly rated. In general, my rule in life is that happiness is met through having low expectations. I do try to moderate my expectations when I read a recommendation, but still, they're elevated. Fortunately, I've had great luck, and this one was no exception! I wanted to move into my room permanently! The location, staff, room, amenities, and everything was perfect. Just a warning, this will be a gushing review!

I stayed here 3 nights to tour after coming to Japan for work in another part of the country. I plan to return to Japan, and when I am in Tokyo, I definitely will stay here!

The staff greeted me warmly when I arrived and held my luggage since it was not check in time. They even put the luggage in the room when it was ready. When we checked out and left, and it was raining, a staff member ran after us and gave us complimentary umbrellas to use. We were in disbelief at the customer care shown!

Getting around was easy. The hotel is literally a hop skip and jump from the JR East Suidobashi station which I found easy to connect to every other train line in the city. Additionally, there are subway stops within another easy walk. I also walked to a lot of sights. I was glad I stayed there and not in busier sections of town.

As you might expect, the rooms are small. This was my first time in Tokyo, so I had nothing to compare it to, but it was about the size I'd imagine a hotel room in Tokyo to be, particularly in my price point. Thing is, everything was fit in the room nicely, so that it did not at all feel crowded or cramped. The room was well equipped. I was impressed with the level of "luxury" touches provided--like pajamas (though cut to fit more petite people! than myself), slippers, tea service, mini fridge with complimentary bottle of mineral water, a safe, and bathroom provisions above and beyond the normal--a toothbrush and toothpaste, shower cap, razor and shave cream, q-tips and cotton pads, and a travel hairbrush/comb. The bathroom has large bottles of shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, and hand wash. It also has a hair dryer and, my personal favorite Japanese invention, the washlet toilet. There is also a clothes brush and shoe horn in the closet. My personal favorite touch was the "valet" on the desk where you can put your jewelry, coins, etc. I've been wanting to buy one of those to take on trips to corral all those little things, so it was great to have one on the desk to help me keep everything in its place.

The room was super quiet. I didn't hear a peep--even without using the earplugs I typically bring and wear when I travel. The bed was super comfortable and the sheets were soft. The place was immaculately clean. Not a spot or stray hair to be seen. I actually felt like it was clean and not just "looking" clean too. When I got back after a day of sightseeing, it looked as if I had never touched anything--housekeeping had brought my room back to its former glory. I liked the Japanese Shoji screen window coverings. I like having natural light. I lowered the inner blinds to make the room darker at night and then was able to open it when I woke up. For those who like the blackout shades, you will not like this. I don't understand how people who use blackout shades ever get out of bed, but that's me!

I often do a lot of handwash of small items like underwear and socks when I travel. So, it was nice to have a clothesline in the shower. I also used the laundry machines on the 3rd floor. Pricing at the time of this review was reasonable--300 Yen for one load to wash and 100 yen for every 30 min of drying. As a guideline, I put my stuff in 45 min to dry, but it could have used more time. This is just to say don't be stupid like I was and try to wash your jeans the morning you want to wear them! I was trying to overcome a prior night's trip to a Japanese steakhouse (a la Benihana) with colleagues that had me smelling like meat and garlic. It was nice to have that option for washing, though--rather than only a laundry service (which they also have). There are also massage chairs, vending machines, and a workout room in the same area as the laundry.

I did not eat in the restaurant, but did see the breakfast buffet. My friend got breakfasts and said it was good...it looked bountiful. If that isn't your thing, there is a convenience store just downstairs and other restaurant options within walking distance.

I turned on the TV once just for novelty's sake. There were no English speaking channels. I didn't care, though one or two "international" channels like CNN would be nice for non-Japanese travelers. They had CNN and BBC World, but they were dubbed in Japanese. As I said, this was hardly important to me, but if you care about that sort of thing, you should know! Fortunately for you, the hotel has wifi, and the reception was great, so you can check the internet for news and maybe even stream a show or two.

All in all, as if it's not obvious, I loved my time at Hotel Niwa!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank PlangalDC
Dear Planga IDC,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. It is always our goal to make sure that each guest has everything they need in order to have a successful stay.
We strive to provide excellent customer service. We are happy to hear that everything was comfortable and enjoyable. We look forward to having you come and stay with us again soon. Thank you.

Hotel NIwa Tokyo
Yuriko Suneya
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo
Shinjuku
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Niwa Tokyo? Share your experiences!