“Excellent Hotel”
Review of Hotel Niwa Tokyo

Ranked #9 of 82 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Good location: quiet area, but still close to the city center. Very close to transit lines: about 3 minutes walk to JR Rail station and about 7-10 minutes to metro lines). So half an hour (including walking) will take you by train/metro to all major stations (Shinjuku, Akihabara, Tokyo Central or Ueno)

Hotel itself is very impressive. Rooms are very nicely designed and not small at all. There is no view (which is OK - standard for this type of a hotel) but the absence of a view is expertly masked by a very nice "rice paper style" window shade. Rooms are immaculately clean - even by high Japanese standards.

Hotel staff is very helpful and attentive. They will help you with directions, including area maps and train/metro lines suggestions.

To summarize, all reviews here are right on the spot - this hotel is great. The price is a bit on the high end - so try and look for some sort of a deal or promotion (We were able to get one, which was nice).

I will definitely stay there again on my next trip to Tokyo.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
M3810, Guest Relations at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Anton P,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. Although Hotel Niwa Tokyo is conveniently located near the rail station, and centre of the city, but we also offer travelers an oasis of relaxation with many accent of Japanese décor, and we very appreciate with your positive comment about it. In the guestroom, you should also have found lots of “Modern Japanese” such as stylish woody interior and “Shoji” paper screens offer truly relaxed feeling.
Wishing your next visiting will be soon.

Yuriko Suneya

Write a ReviewReviews (2,103)

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I am always afraid that I'll be completely disappointed in what I find via Tripadvisor when it is highly rated. In general, my rule in life is that happiness is met through having low expectations. I do try to moderate my expectations when I read a recommendation, but still, they're elevated. Fortunately, I've had great luck, and this one was no exception! I wanted to move into my room permanently! The location, staff, room, amenities, and everything was perfect. Just a warning, this will be a gushing review!

I stayed here 3 nights to tour after coming to Japan for work in another part of the country. I plan to return to Japan, and when I am in Tokyo, I definitely will stay here!

The staff greeted me warmly when I arrived and held my luggage since it was not check in time. They even put the luggage in the room when it was ready. When we checked out and left, and it was raining, a staff member ran after us and gave us complimentary umbrellas to use. We were in disbelief at the customer care shown!

Getting around was easy. The hotel is literally a hop skip and jump from the JR East Suidobashi station which I found easy to connect to every other train line in the city. Additionally, there are subway stops within another easy walk. I also walked to a lot of sights. I was glad I stayed there and not in busier sections of town.

As you might expect, the rooms are small. This was my first time in Tokyo, so I had nothing to compare it to, but it was about the size I'd imagine a hotel room in Tokyo to be, particularly in my price point. Thing is, everything was fit in the room nicely, so that it did not at all feel crowded or cramped. The room was well equipped. I was impressed with the level of "luxury" touches provided--like pajamas (though cut to fit more petite people! than myself), slippers, tea service, mini fridge with complimentary bottle of mineral water, a safe, and bathroom provisions above and beyond the normal--a toothbrush and toothpaste, shower cap, razor and shave cream, q-tips and cotton pads, and a travel hairbrush/comb. The bathroom has large bottles of shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, and hand wash. It also has a hair dryer and, my personal favorite Japanese invention, the washlet toilet. There is also a clothes brush and shoe horn in the closet. My personal favorite touch was the "valet" on the desk where you can put your jewelry, coins, etc. I've been wanting to buy one of those to take on trips to corral all those little things, so it was great to have one on the desk to help me keep everything in its place.

The room was super quiet. I didn't hear a peep--even without using the earplugs I typically bring and wear when I travel. The bed was super comfortable and the sheets were soft. The place was immaculately clean. Not a spot or stray hair to be seen. I actually felt like it was clean and not just "looking" clean too. When I got back after a day of sightseeing, it looked as if I had never touched anything--housekeeping had brought my room back to its former glory. I liked the Japanese Shoji screen window coverings. I like having natural light. I lowered the inner blinds to make the room darker at night and then was able to open it when I woke up. For those who like the blackout shades, you will not like this. I don't understand how people who use blackout shades ever get out of bed, but that's me!

I often do a lot of handwash of small items like underwear and socks when I travel. So, it was nice to have a clothesline in the shower. I also used the laundry machines on the 3rd floor. Pricing at the time of this review was reasonable--300 Yen for one load to wash and 100 yen for every 30 min of drying. As a guideline, I put my stuff in 45 min to dry, but it could have used more time. This is just to say don't be stupid like I was and try to wash your jeans the morning you want to wear them! I was trying to overcome a prior night's trip to a Japanese steakhouse (a la Benihana) with colleagues that had me smelling like meat and garlic. It was nice to have that option for washing, though--rather than only a laundry service (which they also have). There are also massage chairs, vending machines, and a workout room in the same area as the laundry.

I did not eat in the restaurant, but did see the breakfast buffet. My friend got breakfasts and said it was good...it looked bountiful. If that isn't your thing, there is a convenience store just downstairs and other restaurant options within walking distance.

I turned on the TV once just for novelty's sake. There were no English speaking channels. I didn't care, though one or two "international" channels like CNN would be nice for non-Japanese travelers. They had CNN and BBC World, but they were dubbed in Japanese. As I said, this was hardly important to me, but if you care about that sort of thing, you should know! Fortunately for you, the hotel has wifi, and the reception was great, so you can check the internet for news and maybe even stream a show or two.

All in all, as if it's not obvious, I loved my time at Hotel Niwa!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank PlangalDC

Dear Planga IDC,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. It is always our goal to make sure that each guest has everything they need in order to have a successful stay.
We strive to provide excellent customer service. We are happy to hear that everything was comfortable and enjoyable. We look forward to having you come and stay with us again soon. Thank you.

Hotel NIwa Tokyo

Reviewed February 3, 2014

The hotel has many facilities and food items are very delicious. The staff crew is cooperative and we tend to have all facilities at our door step. We spend some 15 days in the hotel. Initially we took a large home within the hotel but after spending 5 days we thought we need to move a relatively smaller hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MorricoBernice
M3810, Guest Relations at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Morrico Bernce,

Thank you for your review.
We always appreciate feedback as it helps us to improve.
We hope that you will be back to visit us again soon!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Hotel Niwa is located 200 meter from JR Sudobashi. It is a small hotel tucked in a quiet neighbourhood of Chiyoda.The room is small,yet there are quite enough space to fit our bags and shopping items.The free wifi is a bonus.There is a small convenient shop next to it.I have no complain, except of two things. First, the reservation got messed up, although I used Expedia to make a booking (first they couldn't find my booking,next the room was for a single person instead of two), I guessed it was kinda irritating considering after a long commute from Tokyo station. Finally,the room is quite cold, since there is only a blind and a screen to cover the window, the winter chill can still be felt, wish they have a heater. We requested a late a check out, and agreed to pay additional 2000yen per hour. I really appreciate the hospitality and assistance given by the staff. If you are looking for a place for sleep and away from the bustling of the city, the hotel is perfect for you. Point to note, it is near to Tokyo dome.JR Sudobashi is just two station away from Akihabara,it takes around 3-5 mins ride. To Shinjuku, it will take around 30-40mins ride. Taxi from the hotel to Haneda airportwill cost you less than 10000 yen (I can't remember, I think it was 7000 yen).

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RZN1

Dear RZN 1,

Thank you for your review.
We always appreciate feedback as it helps us to improve.
We hope that you will be back to visit us again soon.

Gurest Relations

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I was fully expecting to be disappointed by this hotel given the Tripadvisor hype and the very attractive rate I found on Expedia for a standard room (A$125 per night). In the end I was completely won over, Hotel Niwa deserves its high ratings. We will definately stay here next time we are in Tokyo.

Service - The staff were wonderfully helpful. We are avid foodies and wanted to try a number of Tokyo's best restaurants on our trip but were experiencing big language issues. One email and the hotel organised all our bookings for us and handled all the confirmations all with no expectation of a tip.

Cleanliness - The hotel is kept clinically clean.

Fit-out - The hotel is beautifully fitted-out and is set in small but very tranquil garden setting. The standard room we had, while smaller than we would have ideally liked, was so well designed and equipped that we were very comfortable over the 6 nights. We just needed to ensure we kept our luggage under control. If you have lots of luggage I suggest selecting a bigger twin room. The bed while small at 140cm wide was surprisingly comfortable for the two of us and the bath was deep, perfect for a long soak after a day exploring Tokyo. The free Wi-Fi worked well.

Location – This may present a problem for some people as Niwa is not located in one of the main tourist areas of Tokyo (e.g., Shinjuku or Ginza), it is in a quieter more residential area just to the north of the Imperial Palace. If you need to be in the thick of the action, chose another hotel. However, its location was perfect for us as we wanted somewhere peaceful and everywhere we wanted to go in Tokyo was only a ~15min train/subway ride away. The local station (Suidobashi) is only 300m from the front door (If you find the Tokyo subway system confusing I suggest downloading the Tokyo Metro Subway App. We found this really helpful in identifying the right lines to take and the transfer stations to use).

Food – Niwa has two restaurants, one French and one Japanese. While both looked good we didn’t try either due to the very large number of more cost effective options in the vicinity of the hotel

Other tips – If you are arriving via Narita airport we found the cheapest and quickest way to get to Hotel Niwa is to take the Keisei Skyliner from the station underneath the airport to Ueno Station and a taxi from there (a Taxi rank is in front of the station). As Niwa is not one of the main chain hotels, most of the taxi drivers we used did not know where it was located. I recommend you always take the address with you, preferably written in Japanese, to help the taxi driver.

Room Tip: If you have lots of luggage sellect one of the larger rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Super66

Dear Super 66

From beginning to end it was a pleasure to read your wonderful comments. We are absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel during your stay, and that we managed to live up to, if not surpass, your expectations.
Thank you for your kind comments on our rooms, facilities and particularly our staff. It is always a delight to us to know that our efforts are appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Thank you again for your kind praise.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Last December I spent 4 days in this charming and elegant hotel. It was the perfect choice I've ever made. I was a little skeptical about it when I was looking for places to stay in this wonderful city. The hotel is only 30 minutes walking to Tokyo Station which is very convenient. It's located in a quite residential area. It's not a huge hotel only 12 story. It has an exquisite garden where gives you peace and tranquility. The breakfast was very delightful they offered American and Japanese food.
The staff were very helpful, professional and the most kind and amiable people on earth. The rooms were very clean, big and beautifully decorated in Japanese style. Comfortable beds and the best of the best attractive and cute Kimonos nightgowns or PJ!!!!! ; spotless bathrooms with warm toilets. I recommend this oasis in the middle of Tokyo. My next trip to Japan will be in this lovely place call Niwa Hotel that means garden. ( A garden in Tokyo).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank c0r0zal
M3810, Guest at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear c0r0zal,

Thank you for your review, and feedback. We appreciate to hear that you had comfortable and pleasant stay with us. Yes, we do have a unique concept of Modern Japanese, which has been very popular and gaining high reputation among overseas guests.
Your review and feedback would help us a lot to improve our service, and we wish you will be back to visit us again in near future.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We booked hotel Niwa based on TA reviews and it did not disappoint. The rooms are lovely and the one we had was quite large (Comfort twin). The staff were extremely helpful with reservations for restaurants and calling taxis. The hotel is conveniently located close to two stations and taking the train was very easy (the Subway is a little more user friendly for non-Japanese speakers than the JR line station ). Breakfast was good and not expensive by hotel standards ,but did get very busy after 8am. Very nice hotel, i would stay again.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor and there was a little noise from the train but not enough to keep you awak...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
M3810, Guest Relations at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear Billy Spouds,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.
Hotel Niwa Tokyo has an ideal location in aspect of convenience. It is only 5 minutes from the rail and metro station, and there are many shops and restaurants around the hotel.
We also offer variety of room types, and perhaps, comfort room would be more suitable for a family. For more detail about rooms, please check with our website homepage.
Once again, thank you for choosing us while you were visiting Tokyo, and hope you will visit us again in near future.

Yuriko Suneya

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo
Shinagawa / Gotanda
Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo

Been to Hotel Niwa Tokyo? Share your experiences!