2,201 results
All reviews suidobashi station great hotel minute walk relaxation room convenience store next door quiet street third floor laundry machines amusement park small gym jr line mita line standard room quiet hotel narita airport easy access japanese style
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed in #712, a small room with a queen bed, desk and chair. The bathroom was average sized, with good amenities and a good fixed handheld shower and tub. There was a refrigerator and safe, a large flat screen TV (though no reliably English channels), and wifi was good. They also provide pajamas and a nice alarm clock. The only complaint I'd have is that there's no drawer storage and only a small closet.
It's on a quiet street and I heard no exterior noise (and you can open a window), though you can get a little interior noise. It's close to the Suidobashi subway station (about 4 blocks away if you use the right exit--I think it was the west one--otherwise you're about 6 blocks away). You can walk to the Imperial Palace, about 30-40 minutes, but most other attractions are outside walking distance.
Breakfast is eggs cooked to order, sausage, bacon, soup (minestrone and miso), fish, potato patties, cooked and fresh vegetables, fruit, pastry, juice and self-serve coffee. Suffice to say, it was pretty good, though their omelets are not their strong suit.
You can get to the hotel by taking the "limousine bus." It's actually just a nice bus, and you can get a ticket at the counter in the departure area (just after clearing customs) for 3000 yen (credit cards or yen) from an English speaking agent. You'll want the Dome Hotel dropoff, which is 5-6 blocks from the hotel. You can walk from there (good sidewalks, flat or downhill), but the hotel is not easy to find, as it's on a side street, so make sure you check on a mapping site to find it before you get on the bus.
I enjoyed my stay there for 5 days very much.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
M3810, Guest Relations at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Dear Tom 709,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Niwa Tokyo to spend your stay in Japan, and for taking the time to write your review.
It is a pleasure to see that you have valued positively our location and surroundings, and the treatment of service personnel. We make an effort every day in order to provide a good quality service to our guests.
Once again, thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to Tokyo.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We booked a standard double room, which was compact (small), though beautifully appointed and supplied (very generous, and including nightwear). Japanese aesthetics at its best, but a bit small for a substantial Caucasian (smallish bed but amazing mattress). Next time (there will be one) we will book a larger room. We booked as a result of TripAdvisor recommendations, and were not disappointed (except as a result of our going for the cheapest room -- still wonderful value for Tokyo). The staff were out of this world -- they did everything and more to make you feel welcome, and even though there were occasional communication problems, you never felt upset about them. An excellent western/Japanese or Japanese breakfast is available (OK, the OJ is reconstituted, but breakfast-wise it was the best of the 4 hotels in which we stayed.) Location might be daunting to some -- the area is safe but not upmarket, and the hotel is not quite on the shuttle/limousine bus route from the airport. But we learned that it was easy and cheap to travel from the airport to the hotel by the limo bus that went to the nearby Tokyo Dome Hotel and to walk the 300 metres to Niwa. The Suidobashi subway and JR stations are also close by, and give easy access to the rest of the city.
One night we had dinner in the French café at the hotel (Café Lieu) -- a limited menu, but one of the best and well-presented and served French meals we've ever had (and we've eaten in a 3-star French restaurant in France). The hotel doesn't try to do everything but what it does it tries to do perfectly. We also ate in the Japanese restaurant (one breakfast and one evening meal). Again, wonderfully presented, though perhaps not as stunning as the French one. (BTW, the kitchens of both restaurants will do everything to accommodate allergies, etc.)
The hotel has a small but adequate business centre, workout and rest rooms, and a very convenient laundry. It is hard to praise the hotel too highly -- although it caters for a substantial foreign clientele, it is uncompromisingly and beautifully Japanese in its ambience. No doubt there are other good (and more expensive) hotels in Tokyo, but we became addicted to this one over the seven nights we spent in Tokyo.

Room Tip: Probably higher rooms will give a better sense of space in this part of the city. If you're not Japanese, book a larger rather than smaller room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear jkleinig,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Niwa Tokyo as your home away from home.
I appreciated that you have taken the time to let us know your experience and feeling about us. Actually, your review and feedback would help us a lot to improve our service, and somewhere encourage our staff too.
Wishing your continuous support, and will see you again in near future.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I wasn't sure where to stay in Tokyo and am happy to say that my husband and I loved Hotel Niwa. We booked a small room and opted for an upgrade when there was some confusion with our reservation (through Japanican) and only a smoking room was available. The size of the upgraded room was very adequate for us although compact. Bath, shower, and toilet /bidet all very nice, and the supplied soap/shampoo/pajamas also appreciated. The hotel is clean and upscale and I particularly felt comfortable in reading about the structural precautions taken to protect against earthquakes . The front desk person who greeted us spoke very good English which was very helpful to us. We found the location to be fine - convenient to Suidobashi station and although two stops to the main station, travel was typically easy. Of note, rush hour on the trains can be dicey, as the stations and cars become very crowded - not fun for those who are at all claustrophobic. We used the JR pass to get most anywhere we needed to go . Trains and metro easy to use - with the JR pass you need to go through the manned booth (rather than turnstyles) and show your pass each trip.
I would definitely stay at Hotel Niwa again, although take care in booking through Japanican as I'm not sure that the smoking/ non-smoking room requests are adequately communicated to the hotel. I have read that another guest had same problem, but perhaps this is not a great issue as the air purifiers are said to work well.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SPFlorida

Dear SPFlorida,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Niwa Tokyo as your home away from home.
First of all, we are very sorry for not provideing you a non smoking room eventhough you have requested. Due to limitaions of numbers of non smoking rooms, we are not able to meet guests' request all the times. However, Your comments has been addressed with our management team and we appreciate that you have taken the time to let us know your experience.
We hope to have your continous support and will see you again in near future.

Hotel Niwa Tokyo,

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stayed in this hotel October 17 through October 26 in a 10 day vacation to Tokyo. This hotel is conveniently located within walking distance between two Tokyo metro stations (Jimbocho and Suidobashi) and the JR Line (Suidobashi Station). The Imperial Palace is about a half a mile to the south. There are many restaurants close by, such as a kaiten sushi restaurant (conveyor belt). Also, there is a McDonald's, Starbucks, and french bakery close to Suidobashi Station. The hotel charges about $22 for their breakfast buffet, but I went to McDonald's for a hot breakfast, which when you get pancakes, coffee and orange juice, comes to $4.00. The bakery was full of delicious pastries hot out of the oven at 8am!

This hotel also features an in-room safe (which you do NOT need to put a deposit in for), a flat screen television (definitely watch Japanese television while you're here!), and free wifi (which was good so I could face time my family and share pictures through photo stream, and update my friends through Facebook!). The room provides shampoo, conditioner, and body wash (so leave those out of your suitcase to pack more souvenirs!). And one of the most charming things I found was that every time they cleaned my room, they left a clean pair of pajamas! The tub was big enough to bathe in, so in case you have a day of lots of walking and want to soak your feet, you're all set!

They also have a laundry service which is kind of expensive, but worth the money if you're staying a two weeks and are too busy sightseeing to do it yourself in the coin operated machines on the third floor. I didn't have a fantastic view, but the area was very quiet. The staff was very friendly and provided me with excellent service, both checking in and checking out, and were quick to recommend a sushi restaurant when I asked for one.

Unlike many people here, I booked a shuttle bus from the airport rather than take the train, which is definitely worth the $40 both ways. I also recommend getting the Suica card for the Subway. You can buy one at the JR station. You don't even have to worry about buying tickets on the metro; just swipe your card at the gate and go!

I can't wait to stay at this hotel again! I may book a bigger room, because the only thing I didn't have was enough space to store my clothes/items, especially since I was there for such a long time.

Room Tip: There is a convenience store next to the hotel where they sell snacks, drinks, newspapers and umbrellas. But their ATM doesn't give cash out for international cards. There is a 7-11 just 3 intersections south on Hakusan Dori that does.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank fisherandrewd

Dear fisherandrewd,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to write such a detailed feedback of us.
Your comments and feedback are very valuable and helps to improve our service.
Actually, we offer four categories of room types, and each of them has unique accent of Japanese design. Please check with our website homepage.
Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we also look forward to welcoming you again here at Hotel Niwa Tokyo.

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Niwa was a great hotel at a great price. Bed was SO comfortable - you can even buy the mattress from the hotel catalog. I want this bed at home. Free massage chairs. Wifi was fast. It was our first hotel in Japan and everywhere else we stayed, we wished for hotel Niwa.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HamSando

Dear HamSando,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor and share it with the rest of users. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your accommodation, and especially liked our bed mattress.
Please come back to us when you are visiting Tokyo for next time. All the staff here wish to be in your service again.