“Rcommended but things to consider.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Niwa Tokyo

Hotel Niwa Tokyo
Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
UK
“Rcommended but things to consider.....”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here in October 2012 and as with most reviews I would recommend this hotel. Yes, my room was small but not as bad as I had anticipated. That said, one thing to note is that there is a distinct lack of storage space. There was a single robe wardrobe with 5 hangers and that was it! No drawers and no shelves. The hotel had accommodated my request for a high floor which was fine. It didn't bother me, but people should be aware of the distant train noise if you are a light sleeper. I was in room 1521 at the end of the corridor on the West side. I cannot comment on the rooms at the other end of the building but you may want to consider requesting a room on that side if you think you may have a problem.
The room was exceptionally clean and the bedding changed daily. The bathroom was well stocked and replaced each day. There was good water pressure. It was a slight nuisance that you had to set the shower temperature each day as there were only two taps rather than a pre set dial.
After a long flight it was a little disappointing that my room wasn't ready. I had travelled for almost 16 hours and arrived at 11.40am. My room was eventually ready at 2.30pm. I appreciate that check in is stated as 3.00pm so I cannot really complain. It was however a bit of a difficult start. The English at reception was not as good as I would have hoped but we got by! English generally throughout Tokyo was much the same. Why anyone would pay the exhorbitant breakfast prices is beyond me. There was a great 7-11 next door and plenty of places to eat around and about. I actually liked the location and having bought a Japan Rail Pass it made no difference to me that I wasn't in a more central hub. I actually preferred it. Public transport is so good and the trains are magnificent that it's not an issue.
I didn't use the massage chairs but there is an ice machine on the 3rd floor. The free wi fi worked great for me and a fridge in the room was a real bonus. For the money I couldn't really fault it. The hotel was a bargain by Tokyo prices.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the staion/railway line.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
M3810, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you for choosing Hotel Niwa TOKYO and write “I would recommend this hotel” about our hotel at the tripadviser.
We are happy to hear you enjoyed the good time with us.
Please recommend to your friends about our hotel.
We believe many foreigner guests will love our hotel like you.
Thank you again and all our staff we look forward to serving you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northaw, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I booked the hotel Niwa in Tokyo after reviewing it on Trip Advisor, and I was not disappointed. The hotel is located in a residential area near Suidobashi station. It is easy to get to see any of the sights from here. We arrived via train from the airport to Tokyo station and took a cab, I asked the hotel to provide us with an address of the hotel written in Japanese to give to the cab driver and this REALLY helped. The hotel is super clean and efficient, the staff extremely friendly, and the room comfortable. We booked a Comfort Room through Booking.Com., this gives you extra space, two double beds, small bath/shower, kettle and fridge in room. There is a small supermarket next door so convenient for buying a drink to have in the room or anything you might have forgotten. Top tip take your own tea bags and instant coffee if you want to drink this, hard to buy small quantities and expensive. There are a lot of small restaurants nearby, better restaurants near Suidobashi than going towards Jimbocho, although these were more fun. BBQ's where you cook your own meat, no English spoken, and if you are unlucky you can easily order intestines because you think it looks like chicken. Beef and pork good. Good idea to take the guide book with you with a vocabulary in the back. We stayed for three days, went to Kyoto for a couple of days (hotel Niwa kept the majority of our luggage) and came back for two days to Tokyo. The hotel does not have a pool but does have a small gym which my husband used, I think there were a couple of running machines in it. Didn't use room service but did eat in the hotel restaurant when we arrived. Beef excellent, spaghetti with egg plant very strange indeed, I couldn't eat it. Excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at front of hotel, much quieter than those at the back or side. Also the higher the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
M3810, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for choosing HOTEL NIWA TOKYO and for taking the time to write your review.
We are very glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you again for your next visit to Tokyo.
Scandinavia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Pro's:
- Clean and ok
- Relatively cheap
- Relatively modern
- Japaneese style toilet seats with heat and spray
- Nice and safe neighborhood (University district)
- Superior rooms are spacey and have good beds, only really suitable room type! (but more expensive than first quote)
- Free wifi
- Great breakfast, although expensive if not included

Con's:
- really bad wifi (though free)
- not really central at all (long commute to interesting parts)
- nearest station not an important hub
- very noisy building site on the west side (Oct 2012)
- (distant) sounds of trains from around 5 o'clock am.
- standard rooms are too small (double bed too narrow and short for two Europeans)
- language skills of staff
- lunch menu very sparse

Overall: would prefer a more centrally located hotel next time, but it did the job.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are too small, and beds too narrow for two! You must upgrade for surperior if this ho...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank arc66
M3810, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review.
Satisfied next time you stay with us.
When you visit us next time, we recommend you to stay ‘Superior’(24sq.m),’Comfort’(30sq.m)or ‘Premium’(36sq.m) which is bigger room than Standard.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future!
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

situated in a quieter area of tokyo, it is easy to get some rest in this western-japanese style hotel. if you don't feel like eating an egg and sausage breakfast at the hotel, you can go to the nearby convenience store and try out some of the rice balls (onigiri) or lunchboxes (bento). if you buy the latter, the cashier will probably ask if you'd like it warmed (something like 'atatame masuka?'). or you can go to choco cro on the way to suidobashi station instead; the coffee comes from a machine but the chocolate croissants are the reason to visit.

the room was a bit small for me and my husband and our suitcases, but that seems to be a recurring theme in japan. the massage chairs and coin laundry machines were very welcoming after five hot days walking around tokyo. of course the two chairs were very popular since the massage was so good, so you may have to wait before trying one..

the staff was extremely helpful even though there were some language barriers. i only know food-related words in japanese so asking to find an exchange office or how to use the washing machine was a bit rough. however the receptionists always did their very best to assist us, even letting us check in 2 hours early; though that might have been because we were stinking up the lobby after a long flight.. ^^;

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mina k
We are so happy that you had a good time with us.
When you visit next time, we recommend you to stay ‘Superior’(24sq.m),’Comfort’(30sq.m),or ‘Premium’(36sq.m) which is bigger room than Standard.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend for our three nights in Tokyo. We picked it after seeing all of the other glowing tripadvisor reviews. We were not disappointed. It is very clean, upscale, and western-style while still having some nice Japanese touches (i.e., it has a "western-style" toilet/bathroom, but behind the bed is a pretty rice paper wall).

The only "cons," if you can call them that, are: (1) the room is a bit small. However I really don't know if you'd find any larger rooms at this price in Tokyo that are as nice and clean; (2) the internet is a little bit spotty. Actually, once we figured out how to access it/which connection to choose, we were pretty much set. But it was a little confusing at first; and (3) the front desk people speak only limited English. But they were SO nice and accommodating and we were able to communicate to the extent we needed with the help of our guidebook's language translations.

The hotel is just perfectly centrally located to explore Tokyo. We explored Imperial Garden (which is within walking distance), Shibuya Crossing, the Meji Shrine, Asakusa, Tsukiji, and more. (We went pretty much all over.) The hotel is about a 5 minute walk to both the JR trains and the regular metro. (If you're a foreigner going to Tokyo, buy a Suica/N'Ex card when you get to Narita!).

Also, there is a lovely little cafe a couple of blocks away called St. Marc's Cafe/Choco Cro that has some really fantastic chocolate croissants and egg sandwich toasts. It is a great place to go if you need to eat some tamer food after (or before) copious amounts of raw fish consumption. We went every morning to start the day off. The coffee there is great also.

I would unquestionably stay here again!

Room Tip: We booked through booking.com and requested a no-smoking room in the booking application.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Eliase14
M3810, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
We are so happy that you had a good time with us.
Thank you for your ‘cons’ comments. We will strive for better service and make sure you will be satisfied next time you stay with us.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you again for your next trip to Tokyo.
Take care until then!
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Hotel Niwa Tokyo was excellent - the reception staff were extremely helpful and pleasant, the room was large, clean and well equipped, as was the bathroom, and the hotel was in a very convenient position, with several JR and Subway stations nearby. The only negative feedback I would give was that the WiFi was very slow, but that didn't affect my enjoyment of the hotel.

I would definitely stay at Hotel Niwa Tokyo again!
Oliver.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank New_pollution
M3810, Guest Relations Maganer at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
We are so happy hear that you had a good time with us.
Please recommend to your friends about our hotel. We believe many foreigner guests will love our hotel like you.
Thank you again and all our extremely helpful and pleasant staff we look forward to serving you again!
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I loved staying in Hotel Niwa Tokyo! Thank you Trip Advisor for helping me choose it! It's not an expensive place to stay, and for its price range it's more than perfect. My two-year-old daughter loved it, she still keeps asking me when we can go back to the hotel. It's cosy and quiet for a family trip, has a little garden outside, a convenience store right next door, enough food places and drug stores, in case you ever need anything. Seven minutes of walking will take you to the Tokyo Dome entertainment place with shopping, spa, and most importantly for us, a kids' playroom Asobono, we went there a lot!

The room was lovely, a mix of modern and traditional Japanese, very clean and new, bed and pillows and soft comfy PJs! Nice big bathtub, which is quite important for me! No overpriced mini-bar business, just complimentary water and tea. If you like coffee, you can get those coffee bags from the convenience store in the nearby building, and make yourself fresh coffee every morning. I liked having and iron and a small ironing board in the room. There are coin laundry mashines on the third floor. They have pretty much everything to please a traveller.

The breakfast was expensive so we didn't try it.

Wi-fi was slow sometimes, but I was able to use Skype with no problems, so no real complains there.

I never used the Suidobashi JR or Metro station, but there are Korakuen, Kasuga and Jimbocho stations also pretty close to the hotel (10-15 mins walking distance), they let you get anywhere you need pretty. And it is a very safe location.

The staff is very friendly, they gave us free umbrellas when it was raining, helped to figure out the locked safe box problem. Their English is pretty good, so I never had any communication problems with them. Oh and they also upgraded my room for a very small charge, so we got a bigger place and a king-size bed. I am very thankful to them and hope to stay there again.

Stayed September 2012
2 Thank YuliaGR
M3810, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Niwa Tokyo, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
We are so happy to hear your family enjoyed the good time with us.
Our concept is “Beautiful Japanese Hotel “we believe many foreigner guests will love our hotel like you.
Please recommend to your friends about out hotel.
Take care until then!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo
Shinjuku
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Niwa Tokyo? Share your experiences!