Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Chidorigafuchi
from $101.67
More Info
1,110 results
All reviews cherry blossom viewing full bloom sakura season sakura viewing kudanshita station early april row boat indian embassy imperial palace beginning of april yasukuni shrine during peak boat ride beautiful park tokyo metro boats moat
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This is the best Sakura Spot in Tokyo. Check out the season. (Usually late March to early April).
When season is right, it is so beautiful! At the same time, there are a lot of poeple to come & watch these beaufiful sakura.
Go to Kudanshita subway station and get out of exit 2 and walk towards Budo-kan.
There is boat available, and you need to prepare to wait for a long queue if it is weekend.

6  Thank jalanworld
Reviewed April 14, 2012

April 1 - 6, 2012 perfect time for the blossoms? Lovely walk along the moat. Trees lit up a night...very special effect.

1  Thank HelencTorontO
Reviewed April 6, 2012

A "must see" in April.. the cherry blossoms are beautiful, both during the day and night.

1  Thank VaerSaaGod
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I can only imagine how beautiful the walk to the cemetery and the surrounding gardens would have been had the cherry trees been blossoming when we visited. However, we were in Tokyo in December, and so the long walk under hibernating trees was...just a long walk (I imagine had we visited with the cherry blossoms I would have rated it five stars, so take that into consideration). It's so strange to me now that I'm going back to write individual reviews that my reviews are so low--we had a wonderful time in Tokyo and I'm not sure the three star ratings reflect this. I think the reason many of my Chiyoda reviews are only average is that Tokyo, while a fabulous city, has not done much to make itself a capitol city that is appealing to tourists (talking strictly about the government offices, monuments, etc. and not about the rest of what Tokyo has to offer). When you are in Washington DC, everything is grand (contrasting to the modest size of Japanese monuments) and nearly everyone you see is obviously a tourist--Washington DC as has made the nation's capitol a city worth seeing strictly for the government sites--this is not the case for Tokyo if that makes more sense. My husband and I felt like the only tourists we saw all day. For example, once we arrived at the National Cemetery, we were literally the only two people there, tourists or not; granted we were there during the off season and not that this is a bad thing. If you're expecting the grandness of the US' war memorials (thinking Korean War Veterans Memorial, Vietnam Veterans War Memorial Wall, Arlington National Cemetery), you will be disappointed by this cemetery--though it's important to reflect on what these differences might say about each nation, its unique values, how we are alike, how we are different. Though this memorial honors 3 MILLION lost souls, it is very small with only one small gazebo housing one symbolic coffin (that I believe contains remains of unidentified casualties). Very little is explained in English, which is fine but does limit one's understanding of the memorial if you don't bring your own guide book or do your own research prior to your visit. A very touching point here is that for 100 yen you can buy a flower (on the honor system) and lay it at the tomb. The restrooms are Japanese style.

Date of experience: December 2011
8  Thank anothermrs
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I had read the Japanese reviews and I did not know what the fuss was all about. Passing this seemingly endless tunnel of Sakura trees one Spring on a midnight taxi was amazing. It touched me deeply and I asked the driver to stop the car. Walking under those trees, I almost wept for a while.
Foreign visitors, if you happen to be in Tokyo at the time of cherry blossoms, you should come here around midnight for an unforgettable view that you shall cherish for your lifetime.

Date of experience: March 2011