“The New Benchmark in Tokyo”

Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Ranked #2 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
JAKARTA
“The New Benchmark in Tokyo”
Reviewed October 7, 2010

A new benchmark in luxury hotel has arrived in Tokyo. And it’s the Shangri-la. Opened barely one year ago, this hotel quickly established itself as the new yardstick for luxury hotel standards in Toyko.

After hearing lots of buzz about this hotel, I decided to try out just to see how it measures up. I did not go with high expectation. Past exposure to Shangri-la hotels and my preconceptions dictates that I am expecting a hotel that caters more to the masses with room rate that’s enticing to those seeking mid-tier luxury, that will offer a grand and large lobby but mediocre rooms, service that are efficient but more impersonal and business like. Wrong Wrong Wrong. This Shangri-la really surprised me.

Arriving

I arrived by taxi right after I had checked-out from the Conrad. As the hotel is so new, the taxi driver was confused. Even his GPS was not showing the hotel’s location. Fortunately, I had a map with the hotel name in Japanese. The hotel is located within a high rise office tower. The ground floor ( arrival lobby ) is on the small side but opulently decorated with large crystal chandeliers and plush carpeting. Sort of like arriving in a very nice mansion. Upon arrival, bell hops quickly took care of my luggage. Check-in was quick. I was escorted to the room and the staff briefly demonstrated the room features.

Room

The room I had booked was a Premier Corner Room with a spectacular and un-obstructed view of Tokyo skyline ( looks even better at night ). All the latest in-room tech is there, including side table power panel with A/V and iPod connections. A large 42” Sharp Aquos high definition LCD TV outfitted with a Bose sound system. Electronic curtains and mood lighting and the minibar even decked out with a Nepresso coffee machine.

Now, the design of the room might not be very groundbreaking. But the comfort factor in this room is off-the-charts here. Starting with the huge King Size bed. If ever there is a hotel bed where it literally made me difficult to get up, this is the one. The mattress has just the right firmness, the high thread count linens are sumptuous and of superb quality. Large goose-down pillows and an assortment of pillows.

Next the bathroom. Decked out in posh marble and the finest of modern bathroom fittings, this bathroom has an advance electronic toilet with proximity sensor and a host of automated features. The large walk-in shower cubicle has an oversized rainforest shower head that gives one of the best showering experience. Water pressure is good. There is a platform bathtub with a view, and to round things up, a high definition in wall TV.

Other commendable aspects of this room is that it’s whisper quiet. The hotel wasn’t far from the Tokyo train station and yet, there is no noise whatsoever. The switches and lightings and other conveniences are all at the correct place where I wanted them. The in-room tech is not as flashy as that of the Peninsula but it works. One feature I discovered is that I could playback high definition videos from my laptop directly onto the LCD TV with the cablings provided. Only nitpick is that they should have provided an iPod dock instead of cablings to connect my iPod to the in-room music system.

The room itself is a testimony of up-scale luxury. Everything thing in this room is of very high quality, from the décor to the in-room fittings right down to the accessories provided. Even the in-wall switches are clad in leather. This is a room that has very high wow factor along with providing supreme comfort. Seriously, only the best hotel suites in Hong Kong can compete with this and no other hotels that I have tried in Tokyo can measure up.

Common Areas

The hotel is distinctively boutique in nature. It only have about 100+ rooms and the smaller, more intimate lobby is unlike the usual Shangri-la grandness, more subdue but still very beautifully decorated. There are only two restaurants and a bar in the hotel. The Italian restaurant serve contemporary western cuisine for lunch / dinner and morning breakfast. The breakfast is good, with nice selection of pastries and other breakfast goodies though I wish there are more selection. The other restaurant is the Nadaman Japanese restaurant, a restaurant chain often associated with Shangri-la. Tried their teppanyaki dinner and it was spectacular. Using only the freshest ingredients and cooked to perfection by the resident chef right in front of me, it’s a wonderful culinary experience of a lifetime for me. Keep in mind even by Tokyo standards, the price is very expensive, but it’s worth every cent.

The hotel also have a Spa, a full size and well equipped gym and an indoor swimming pool that have spectacular views of Tokyo skyline at night.

The service at Shangri-la is fast, efficient yet gracious. Nearly every request was immediately answered. I believed they actually provide a floor butler at each floor because it’s literally seconds after I put down the phone when someone will show up at my door with the things I requested. Another major plus point about this hotel is the English proficiency of the staff. I understand that English is not a first language in Tokyo and most hotel staff I encountered during my previous visits in Tokyo have difficulties understanding more complicated request and very often, I have to repeat many times. In the Shangri-la, based on my experience, everyone from the waiter in the restaurant to the door men have a workable fluency in English which makes things much easier for me. Overall, service is just exemplary, right up there with the very best.

Location

The hotel is located in close proximity ( ie 5mins walk ) to the Tokyo station, the main transport hub of Tokyo. From there, it’s just a subway ride away from most popular destinations. Near the hotel there are also an assortment of department stores, shops and restaurants.

Conclusion

The Shangri-la Tokyo is now my #1 favourite hotel in Tokyo, over-taking the Peninsula which used to be my favourite. If I were to return to this city again, this will be my first choice accommodation. It’s pure indulgence and first class luxury all the way. For all these, one is expected to pay lots of Yens, but then, you can’t expect to get a true luxury hotel experience by paying peanuts. Highly recommended and I am pleased to award it my highest rating of 5 / 5.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
6 Thank BENLEE123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Room was gorgeous - we had an incredible view, a huge room, with an amazing bathroom. Swimming pool is lovely, especially at night. "Spa" amenities at the gym - menthol rainshower, sauna, soaking hot tub. Service was fantatsic. Front desk attendant walked us to Tokyo station and helped us buy tickets for the Shinkansen; escorted us practically to the train platform. Front desk also helped us find a room in Narita and arranged all details. Really a wonderful experience all around (well, my husband ordered room service breakfast and hated it - but that was our only complaint). Expensive, but really a treat and perfectly located. Lots of dining options nearby and easy transport to any part of the city. A gem.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We stayed here in June 2010 for 4 nights. We are great fans of the Shang experience worldwide, but we must state that this was the best Shang location we stayed at, without doubt. The Krungthep in Bangkok (which we find overated - we saw the lady butler only once) was mediocre in comparison. The Shang Tokyo is expensive, but location wise, its great - just next to the Tokyo Marunochi station. All our needs were taken care of, and kudos to the 2 concierge staff - Koji and Hideo. They went out of their way to make us and our 3 children feel at home, and arranged everything, and answered all our questions. For parents, you would know how some top notch hotels almost 'frown' on children in their business and corporate type environment (no matter what you pay), but certainly not the Tokyo Shang. One of our best holidays, and we have every intention to return. We just hope they stay the same.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Paris
Reviewed September 22, 2010

This is a nice hotel. Stayed in Tokyo also at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel and Niwa hotel. See my other reviews. The room at the Shangri La was big, modern and very clean. I had a premier room. Stayed here in August 2010 for a couple of days. The hotel's pool was very nice. Staff was ok at the reception and not trained at the breakfast restaurant. The breakfast was simply the WORST i've ever had in a hotel! Food quality was very low and the prices were very high. I complained about the breakfast and had a simple "sorry" in return!. That was quite a bummer!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank Metaphore
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2010

The rooms were very impressive, especially if they have a view over the city. The bathroom, fixtures and fittings are all thoughtfully placed and excellent. The staff are extremely helpful and kind to guests finding their way around the city and do go the extra mile to help. It might be towards the top end in price but is great value for the experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Having read the good reviews, I was happy to be impressed in my recent visit. There is a complimentary concierge service to meet you when you arrive on the Narita Express and there is a good reasons for this. Like all other stations, Tokyo Station is huge and the signage is not always tourist friendly. Coupled with some construction work, I am pretty certain I would have been wondering around for some time if not met by Etika, whose very good English and friendly manner put me at ease after a tiring trip. Please remember to call the hotel ahead with your coach and seat number.

The hotel is quite new and the rooms are possibly the best I have had. The view was great and facilities more than ample with a coffee machine, DVD large HD TV, numerous gadgets and of course the famous toilet. Service was very good and significantly better than some of the more average services I have had in other Shangri-Las. The pool and gym looked nice with complimentary attire, but I had no time to use them. The complimentary wifi was probably faster than most hotels I've lived in, and that includes paid wifi services.

The rooms were all located from the 30th floor upwards so there was no noise from the streets.

If I have any complaint about the place, it was the air conditioning which was inadequate to counter the searing heat, so I found the thick covers to be a touch hot and had trouble sleeping when I was there.

Location wise, the hotel is in the central business area so it's fine if you're there for work / business. Otherwise don't expect the lights, noise and excitement of Shibuya or Shinjuku.

I found the breakfast to be limited and very expensive even by Tokyo standards. There were much better local choices in the smaller restaurants in the streets behind the hotel (turn right at entrance, go down the path and cross the main road) which is what I came to Tokyo for anyway. Food in Tokyo Station itself was ample, but the restaurants were crowded and more expensive. The food section in the adjoining Daimaru is worth a visit to stock up on goodies to bring home.

The concierge service was very good and they were helpful in helping me find my way in the confusing subway system. If you're going back by Narita Express, I recommend you ask them to buy the ticket for you and escort you back to the platform.

On the whole this was a wonderful experience and while it wasn't cheap, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Tokyo's newest hotel, the Shangri-La is located beside the Tokyo station (Nihonbashi district) and walking distance to the Marunouchi financial center. With a discrete entrance within a larger commercial building, visitors take a separate elvator to the 28th-floor lobby. I stayed in rooms on the 33rd (3 nights) and 35th floor (2 nights) - both were deluxe rooms with a king-size bed (remarkably comfortable), very spcaious, with a panoramic view of th city from the top and packed with amenities including a WC in the bathroom (separated from the bedroom by a glass wall, with a switch to lower blinds) with a control panel ! Service was extraordinary, with the staff very helpful and extremely friendly. A Golden Circle membership (free) gives you 50% off on breakfast, and for a city as expensive as Tokyo may be well worth considering. The breakfast spread itself could be a lot wider - seemed very limited, and not only because I'm vegetarian! While I had a negotiated company rate, I understand room tariffs at Shangri-La have fallen in general, making the hotel a viable option for all travelers to Tokyo, and is clearly one of the best hotels I've stayed at while travelling overseas.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
#6 of 74 in Chiyoda
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
#5 of 74 in Chiyoda

Been to Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo? Share your experiences!