“Excellent service? read my review, please.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo

Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Tokyo, Japan
“Excellent service? read my review, please.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I'm a regular visitor of this hotel. Not staying guest but using their restaurants. Though I'm not a high-profile spender, the staff are used to see my face.around.

Some are nice and some are totally arrogant simply ignoring my presence not saying hello or irasshai-masen. Especially the Concierge lady who probably thought I was just lingering around the lobby passing my time.

The only staff who recognised my presence is the Bell Desk Captain. Although in the beginning she wasn't friendly but over the time she sees me walking in and out she recognized and say hello each time I'm there. Some Bell Desk staff should be trained to be more natural as it's The Shangri-La. I noticed one or two are so fake in their smiles. Perhaps they were trained at the Disney...lol.

The Lounge staff is friendly and try to accommodate me even when I visited in the most uncomfortable time of their schedule. I only wish their Managers are the same.

The joke I like to share here is one day I walked in to make a reservation for an Afternoon Tea. As I walked into the lobby the staff were suddenly so warm and friendly and welcomed me with great enthusiasm. Even the unfriendly Ms Kobayashi at the Lounge was eagerly taking my order. I thought that was strange...and I look around and saw there, the General Manager was standing around the corner. No wonder......!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alisa S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Tokyo was my last leg of my trip to Japan, after Kyoto and Mount Fuji. The Front of the House staff was well groomed, professional at all times and was able to converse fluently in English. The rooms are very spacious (especially for Tokyo) and reasonably priced. We had our first breakfast using room service, but we ordered after the time period. The order taker said she would call me back to let me know if they can do anything. Within 5 minutes, she called me back, passed the order and got delivered within 20 minutes. I need to highlight the excellent service of the bar tender where we went 2 nights in a row. he was very engaging. The day before our departure, the receptionist kindly offered us to buy our train tickets to Narita Express. The check out was fast. i have considered other international hotel brands before choosing Shangri la, as I had good experiences in Hong Kong and Paris, and they lived it up to it.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

As being my favourite hotels chain, i have stayed for business trip. The room is spacious. However, I did not like the lighting. The location is very convenient to whom using the trains since it is close the main station. The hotel provided all services beautifully. Except I face issue in requesting deposit even when you order food and even I am a member of Shangri la club. It was the only disappointing feedback.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Very nice hotel with good sized rooms, located very close to Tokyo Station. Decent views and staff we're very friendly. There is a supermarket next door & lots of nice restaurants within 5 minutes walk.

We travelled with a one year old, and while the start was promising (the cot was great & they provided a nappy bin & baby bath products complimentary), the reality was it wasn't great for the baby. We weren't allowed to use the pool with the baby, his sleep times got in the way of room cleaning & I had a floor supervisor chasing me every time I left the room asking when we would be back, how long the room would be free for, etc. and there was no communal space suitable for the baby.

I'd recommend for business or a couple, but there are better family options

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DaftAussie
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

During a recent stay in Tokyo we split our time between the Shangri La and the Park Hyatt (I also reviewed the latter). Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh due to the extent to which I was impressed by the Hyatt, because this is also a really great hotel. Fabulous views, great location, attentive staff etc.

But in small ways - mostly down to personal taste - I didn't like it as much as the Hyatt. The service feels a little slavish to me. The decor is OTT and occasionally tasteless. The hotel is more business-y and less understated, and you feel they are trying to suck up to you with extra pointless touches rather than just do things well. (An example - I had to move to check in to the 'Horizon Lounge' for some reason and instead of making things quicker we had to sit in what amounted to a sort of airline departure lounge for ages while they sorted things out. The tablet you add your details seems cool but ours didn't work).

However, lots about it is excellent. The beds are supernaturally comfortable, the spa is good. Breakfast is excellent and the bar is not priced for oligarchs. It's still a really great place to stay.

1 Thank TheoTenCat
Palm Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Enjoyed the "Autumn Afternoon Tea" here. Spectacular views, elegant dining room, beautiful china and silverware. Excellent tea menu. Staff incredibly friendly and helpful. Two hours of bliss for any tea lover.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Shangri-La was all the name implies. A truly elegant, luxurious hotel in Tokyo, just a minute's walk from Tokyo Station (if you find the right exit). Stayed 4 nights on first visit to Japan and highly recommend this establishment. Location can't be beat for access to subway and trains. Breakfast buffet was fabulous as was every aspect of room. Staff go out of their way to be helpful.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 74 in Chiyoda
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,854 reviews

Been to Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo? Share your experiences!