“Lives Up to its Name”

Ranked #2 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Singapore
“Lives Up to its Name”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is my favorite Shangri-La Hotel and the one hotel I consistently return to in Tokyo. Because it's not a big hotel, it has a nice cosy vibe and the rooms are a decent size and comfortable and a great refuge to come back to since Tokyo can be frenetic. As it's a newer Shangri-La hotel, it also has a more restrained, modern decor that is less busy than some of the older Shangri-Las. Being located adjacent to Tokyo Station, it's also very convenient when coming in from Narita or other cities by train. However, as I always get lost in Tokyo Station, I would recommend informing the hotel to request that someone (usually the concierge) meets you at the train platform to lead you to the hotel. The staff are gracious and have a genuine warmth and willingness to go out of their way to help out. I've also gotten them to help make reservations at restaurants in advance of my visit.

2 Thank Lizhe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Japan
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have stayed at the Shangri-la Tokyo a few times, and each time, it has never failed to please me. I am very, very, finicky, believe me. Paying big money for hotels is not something I take lightly. I only review if I am disgusted or delighted with the property..There's in between. Okay, so here we are, moderately priced (for Tokyo hotels) Club Floor, King or Suite each time..

Club floor is one of the best I have ever experienced.. Large, gorgeous vies over Tokyo, stunning night views too. No need for looking at railway lines here (Four Seasons), far too high up. Evening cocktails, a wide selections of drinks, snacks etc.. Very comfortable and pleasant.

Morning breakfast, superb! Eggs to order, tons of salad, fruits etc.. Good coffee, fast service, friendly staff, helpful.. etc..etc..

Rooms are very comfortable, all with great views, especially as sunset.. spacious, well stocked, Bulgari amenities, its what you pay for, and it delivers..good bathrooms, powerful showers.

If there's a fault, I'll find it.. Only other comparable hotel for me, would be the Ritz-Carlton, which is in Roppongi, about 20 min drive away. Shangri-la is a 3 minute walk from Tokyo Station, great location.

Room Tip: If you want to indulge, honeymoon, special occasion, this is it! Club rooms highly recommended. Suit...
3 Thank Hotel_Critic_Mag
Florence
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Very nice experience. Everything perfect. The hotel is just few meters far from the Tokyo Train Station. It is also very easy to arrive at the hotel from Narita Airport. Narita Express (N'EX) start from Narita Airport ad arrive to Tokyo station.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a beautiful corner room overlooking the train station.
We would have been happy to stay in our room & the hotel the entire time.
Alas, we has to get out & explore Tokyo which was very easy given that it is so close to a large subway station.
The Lobby Lounge is heavenly to return to each night.

• Stayed July 2013
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I review hotels in the context of where they are and what I expect from them, whether I am traveling for business or pleasure, and whether I am evaluating a unique boutique or an elegant international chain. This hotel is a top tier property, branded by a top tier international management company (Shangi-La) in a top tier location, with the highest quality contemporary finishes -- no expense appears to have been spared. There are comparable properties in most major cities, including other Shangri-La hotels, but this particular property stands out amongst the Shangi-La chain as one of their best properties, making it a serious competitor at the highest and most demanding end of the market. The rooms are nearly new, elegant in appearance and finish, staff appears to be fluent in english, and service is at the level expected of a hotel with a 5+ star rating. More than a business hotel, the rooms are nearly perfect in every way. Bring your wife or husband and enjoy the shopping, Tokyo may be expensive, but it is one of the best cities in the world.

Room Tip: The hotel is 200 meters from the central Tokyo train station. The Narita Express is virtually a doo...
Chaska, Minnesota
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

This place is incredible. Dont go for just one night. Stay longer! We could only stay one, the night before we left. So close to the station which made getting around really easy. Great staff and very helpful. The horizon club is fantastic, and the rooms are amazing

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I love Tokyo and this hotel added to everything thing I love about this city. This was my 4th trip to Tokyo and my 1st stay at the Shangri-La.

Since the Tokyo train system is once of the best most people including myself prefer to ride the train that a car. My wonderful experience started with the hotel once I booked my train ticket from Narita station to the Marunouchi station. The hotel concierge explained that this station was large and challenging to navigate if your first time to that station. She insisted on meeting me on the train track and all I needed to do was provide my train number and car number. Upon exiting the train the concierge was dressed with a hotel sign waiting for me and to help navigate my way through the VERY busy station. I think we walked for approx 15 minutes just to get through the station as the trains traveling to and from the airport are in a different part of the station from the trains that most take around Tokyo. The crowd was also larger than normal because they had recently opened up that portion of the station after years of renovations and both tourists and locals were taking photos of the renovated station.

The Shangri-La is a beautiful hotel and I was greeted with a smile from the front desk staff upon check-in and escorted to the elevator where I was met by the bellman at my room door with my bags. I had two twin/double beds but after a long flight and wonderful reception I was not complaining, nor did I complain at any part during my stay. The room was very nice and modern with a view of Tokyo. The meeting space this hotel has is amazing the ballroom doors have crystals in all the door handles and mirrors, simply beautiful.

Breakfast was included in my negotiated room rate every morning and I ordered the same coffee and sparkling water the staff had it ready once I sat down. This again adds to the service that the Shangri-La and provides in making sure their guests are comfortable. I had high tea in the lobby lounge one afternoon, it has some great views of the city but high tea is expensive, keep in mind Tokyo in Oct was listed in the 5 top most expensive cities in the world. I often thought that I was the only one in the hotel on business as most people looked like they were only there to lounge and enjoy the view. None the less I would recommend a cup of tea or a glass of champagne while sitting back and enjoying the view. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Tokyo on business or pleasure as the train station is less than a 3 minute walk (central Tokyo lines) and you can get to most locations via train including the airport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Palace Hotel Tokyo
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Conrad Tokyo
Conrad Tokyo
#1 of 111 in Minato

Been to Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo? Share your experiences!