“Very Shangri-La” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Richmond, United Kingdom
“Very Shangri-La”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I love this chain. Although the branding is consistent, each hotel has the feel of the local area. In Tokyo, the hotel has great restaurants and deep bows as your lift door closes and you ascend to the high level foyer. It is a smaller property and being high level, the views from every angle are long and absorbing: ours was over Tokyo Station and the Imperial gardens. We slept very soundly and the busy world below did not bother us for a moment.

The basic room size is excellent (two chairs at the desk, chaise longue, massive rain head shower, and fully electronic Toto loo complete with heated seat. The fast WiFi is free so I did not mind paying for in room coffee too much.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

This property is not only beautiful with wonderful views, but the staff is one of the best I have ever encountered. They were attentive to every detail and made you feel very welcome. I inquired at the front desk to see if they could help me find a camera store nearby as I had forgotten the charger to my camera battery. I was leaving for the day and asked that they let me know when I returned. When I did return that afternoon there was the correct battery charger for my camera waiting for me in my room along with a handwritten note. To say they go above and beyond is an understatement. The food was excellent in both the restaurants and when ordering room service, they were extremely prompt.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bournemouth, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

One of the best in the Shangri-La chain with a great location above Tokyo station. That may sound odd, but being near Tokyo station can be a really positive thing when sightseeing and getting around this vast city. Knowing you are only 10 minutes from your room when getting off the JR or subway is a welcome relief at times. We upgraded to the Horizon Club floor level and enjoyed the breakfast and evening cocktails and canapés. The staff, especially the super friendly bell hop girls who meet you off your Narita Express train from the airport, are all helpful and eager to assist in any way they can. The Chi Spa is very good and the two hour massage was a great way to get over the 12 hour flight from London. The only disappointment was Nadaman restaurant which was really expensive sushi in a city where you can eat to a very high standard for a lot less.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Outstanding accomodation, service and food. To be honest I was expecting another overpriced and mediocre business hotel, what I got was stunning accomodation and first class staff at every turn. Tokyo was an amazing experience but the Shangri La just lifted the trip, I couldn't recommend this place more entusiastically.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Great service and location. Horizon club was excellent. I had breakfast there every morning there during my 12-day stay. Nothing much to say about this hotel other than this was one of my best hotel experience

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Riyadh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed in shangri la tokyo for 3 days, what a superb hotel. I had a previous experience in the peninsula, which really met my expectations, but Shangri la has far exceeded all levels as we always felt recognized from the first day to the last by everyone at the hotel. The hotel staff combines the Japanese great hospitality with a touch of a world class international experience which you rarely find else in tokyo. The rooms are spacious, the location is excellent which is close to major retail store, shopping malls, restaurants and cafes. I thought that ginza had it all, but I was wrong the area around Shangri la is also on bar with ginza.

Shangri la vs peninsula, at the same price range I would choose shangri la with out thinking.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I happen to stay here for a week on a business trip and the experience is good..not the best as it is made out in other reviews.

The hotel location is superb located right on top of Tokyo station. Rooms are nice, well designed keeping human comfort in mind.

Breakfast is nice and has lot of variety.

The service is just about okay, it does not boast par excellence as it is made out to be. I happen to extend my stay here. My initial stay was paid by my organisation, so while checking out I asked them of the remaining amount. The reception said all is taken care and no need to pay. Once i am back to Mumbai I get a email saying I have not paid for the trip. They asked for email asking to debit my card, which they did. However they have sent the receipts via ordinary post and are yet to reach me (even after 1.5 months)..I was suppose to get it reimbused, which does not look to be a case now. I have sent them reminders but they were very quick to respond when the money was to be debited, now they are not.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank VWOpines
SLTY2012, 支配人 at Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear VWOpines

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us at Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo, and for taking the time to share your comments with us. I do regret that you had an unpleasant experience during your stay. Should you have any further comments regarding your experience, please feel free to contact me directly via: socialmedia.sltyl@shangri-la.com as I would be happy to gain more information from you.
In the meantime I thank you again for your feedback and hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

With kind regards

Jens Moesker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 74 in Chiyoda
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,854 reviews

Been to Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo? Share your experiences!