“Service is the only priority here”

Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Ranked #2 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Sussex
“Service is the only priority here”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Many people have rightly praised this hotel - and it lives up to all expectations. From the minute you arrive to the moment you reluctantly have to leave !

Nothing is too much trouble, from directions to anywhere, to requests of where to find items - I had a few treatments in the Spa - it was truly the most wonderful experience of service and wonderful treatment and I love my Spas !

THe location is wonderful right by Tokyo station and Ginza and the Imperial Palace are within easy walking distance.

The Lobby lounge in particular was a relaxing space at any time of the day or evening and service like all the hotel was superb. The rooms are just wonderful with spectacular views - wonderful to just look out day or night and feel so lucky !

In summary - Service is the priority at EVERY level of this wonderful and special hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I usually don't write reviews but took it upon myself to sign up and write b/c of my recent stay. This was simply the best hotel experience I've had ever top to bottom. Yes, it's certainly pricey and I'm a frugal guy but it was absolutely worth every penny. I hesitated in writing b/c I wanted to keep it a secret and don't want them to change. The rooms were immaculate and luxurious to the point I didn't want to leave. The views were absolutely awesome. The lounge and restaurants were great. The best thing however bar none was the service. From the front desk to all the others - they totally tried to take care of you in every way. And no tips in Japan! Remembered your name and escorted you to the train station. A quick story as an example - I was late for my train leaving for the airport so one of the guys went with me to buy the ticket and ran, actually sprinted, with me at top speed (carrying my bags) through the maze of the train station (in his suit!) to get me to my train on time. Simply unbelievable and never had that type of experience. I hope to return soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
York, UK
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel is ridiculously good. Situated a stone’s throw from Tokyo’s main station, from the minute you arrive it feels luxurious and special. The hotel occupies the top floors of a tower building, and the reception is on the 28th floor, so you are guaranteed great views no matter which room you have. Our room was on the 34th floor with amazing views out of the large picture window. The room was among the best I’ve stayed in, it was huge and comfortable. It also had really good extras like a coffee machine, stereo system, and a well stocked mini bar. The bathroom is fantastic, and there is a huge walk in shower/wet room and a bath next to a huge window for yet more views. We didn’t eat in any of the restaurants but we did have a few drinks in the bar, which had a really good choice of cocktails and of course more views!
The staff were attentive yet unobtrusive, and the place had a quiet calmness to it.
In terms of location, you can get to most places easily via the subway which can be accessed from the station next door to the hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel, it isn’t a bargain but I felt it was worth every penny for the quality of the accommodation and standard of service. I’m looking forward to staying in more Shangri-La hotels in the future!

1 Thank LKBrown
Saint-Etienne, France
Reviewed October 2, 2012

After many trips in the Western hemisphere I almost forgot how excellent a hotel can be. It is very well located, just within walking distance from Tokyo station and also a 15 minute walk to the vibrant Ginza district. After check-out if you want to go to Narita, you can take a bus directly from this hotel. The rooms are remarkably modern and comfortable. The restaurant on the 28th floor offers a good breakfast buffet. As for lunch (Italian cuisine) it is high in quality but, as I am a good eater, low in quantity. The gym on the 29 th floor is good and well equiped. Room service is very good. As for their staff, it could not be better, top notch. If I visit Tokyo again, I will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London, UK
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I seldom give 5 stars to a hotel, but occasionally I do, and very occasionally I wish I could allocate six stars. The Shangri-La in Tokyo joins my very small list of hotels, which far exceeded my expectations, and to which I know I will return because of the excellence of the stay. It joins the Peninsula in Bangkok and the Oberoi at the Taj Mahal on my list of most favourite hotels.

We stayed for four nights at the end of a vacation touring Japan, and booked a corner room with a view of the bay and Tokyo’s Skytower. We were met at the door of the bullet train as it arrived in Tokyo station, and helped with our luggage and the short walk to the hotel. (Tokyo station is large and complex, the hotel would not have been easy to find without the help of the hotel staff. We were met by two, very helpful young ladies – but I think I prefer a man to assist with my heavy bags!!).

Our room was large, superbly decorated and very comfortable. Two walls were floor to ceiling glass with amazing views across Tokyo and a sunrise to be seen to be believed. It contained, a large, very comfortable bed with superb linens – which gave us a great night’s sleep. The bathroom was large had a rain shower and regular shower, with a great selection of toiletries. The room had the level of comfort and quality of contents that you would absolutely expect of a 5 star hotel.

The difference for me, however, was in the quality of service. Just outstanding. Nothing was too much trouble, and everything was done with a willingness to please. We had great concierge service with help on tickets for the Sumo and restaurant advice. We left the “Do not disturb” light on one day: but they were there to service the room as soon as we returned and switched off the light. Club lounge service was very attentive and non-intrusive. It did take almost an hour to get two cocktails on room service the first night, but they called to apologise and to advise that they were running late. Some of the best service I have ever received.

The hotel is in a great location, right on top of the main station and is therefore a great base for touring and visiting Tokyo. For the level of service and quality of the facilities, for me it also represented value for money. We enjoyed our stay at the Shangri-La, and it has my complete recommendation. I would not stay anywhere else on a next visit.

Room Tip: Go for a corner room, two walls of floor to ceiling glass give just spectacular views.
1 Thank Peter_R_Smith
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We spent the last four nights of our two week honeymoon at the Shangri-La and it was the perfect way to end the perfect holiday. Located right next to Tokyo Station, we came off the Shinkansen train and within about 5 mins we were going up (in an extremely fast and sparkly lift!) to the reception and lobby on the 28th Floor. From the moment the door staff greeted us by name (how did they do that?!) to entering lobby we had already fallen in love with the place. A efficient check-in meant we were in our room (#3535) within minutes along with a complimentary bottle of delicious sparkling wine as gift for our honeymoon. The room has the wow factor from the moment you walk in - the view over towards to Tokyo was stunning and was even more lovely in the evening! We sat staring out of the windows sipping our wine for quite a while! The bed was huge and ridiculously comfortable and meant every night we had a great night's sleep! It was very easy to make the room as light or as dark as you wanted with the variety of switches for the lights, blinds and curtains - nice little touch thanks to technology. A large desk with fast wifi meant it was very easy to make our friends jealous with many photos of where we staying! The bathroom was also great - bathroom and shower room, large sink and vanity area (with great lighting for putting on make-up! and also one of the best toilets ever!! Automatic lid, flush, seat warmer, you name it it had it. The concierge was GREAT - she booked us tickets to Kabuki, Sumo, confirmed our train booking to Narita, made dinner reservations for us as well giving us information about Tokyo and getting around. Her service was amazing and greatly appreciated. They also advised on the Tsujuki Fish Market and organised a taxi to be ready for us at 0345 so we could make it to the Tuna Auction (not that I wanted to leave the bed!). Service from all of the other Front Office staff was also friendly, polite and professional without being cold. Housekeeping standards were very high and you rarely saw them to say thank you!! We were very sad to leave (they kindly gave us a late check out as our flight was not until the evening) but two members of staff escorted us to the NEX platform and helped us with our bags, which was the perfect ending touch to an amazing stay. Thank you to everyone, we hope to come back one day.

Room Tip: We loved the Bay View Rooms with views over the Tokyo skyline and over to the Tokyo 'Tree'
1 Thank Helen G
Southern california
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The Shangrila Tokyo is perched on top of a skyscraper tower right next to Tokyo Station and The Imperial Palace in the center of the city. Arrival is a bit disorienting as you enter below ground level and the lobby is on the 28th floor. The hotel occupies several floors above the 28th, and the result is the room views give everyone a specatcular landscape right at your feet. The lobby bar benefits from this view, as does the well appointed fitness center, complete with a pool on the 29th floor.

If you are looking for open courtyards and wide open spaces this isn't your place, but then again Tokyo probably isn't your type of city either. If you want a smart room with all the bells and whistles, attentive service and good food, all with a world class metro view, then come on in.

The concierge is very helpful to meet all needs, which is often key in a city like Tokyo which can be challenging for foreigners. The location is central to everything, and easy walks to the Palace, Ginza, Tsujuki Fish Market. Rooms are spacious and well designed. This is a top flight hotel in a world class city and location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Socalicouple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
#6 of 74 in Chiyoda
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
#5 of 74 in Chiyoda

Been to Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo? Share your experiences!