“Tenguko in Tokyo”

Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Kasura had just started when we received our Japan visa but that never daunted our excitement to pursue our trip to Tokyo. When the JAL touched down at Narita, i could feel the excitement burning. Konnichiwa! like a baby uttering his first few words, i greeted everyone i saw ( mind you, i had practiced the art of bowing). After a friendly encounter with immigration and customs, a big and warm smile from a staff of Shangri-la Tokyo just assured me of a perfect vacation. The bags were securely arranged at the van while we were taking some burgers for energy.

Shangri-la Tokyo greeted us with a famiiar scent at basement 1 and we where immediately whisked to 28th floor for check in. We took the last floor (37th) known as the Horizon Club. I love the teddy bears that welcomed me.

Shangri-la Tokyo is best for businessmen who visit Tokyo. It is at the heart of the city where everything is within reach: the tokyo station, some local and authentic restos and shops. For regular travelers like me, this may not have a vacation ambience, but the service is still perfect.

The room is spacious. You have 2 television sets ( at the bedroom and the other is at the vanity area) ... There's no reason missing a scene from your favorite japanese anime movie. The beds are comfy. You dont need to change the linens everyday. Another wise way of helping mother earth. The shower room is awesome. Dont forget to close the curtain. :-)

The quality of service is common to most Shangri-la hotels, but Tokyo's Shangri-la restroom spells the difference- it is automated. The seat cover opens by itself when you get near it. Hahaha, i know it's about sensor powered thing, but i am really amazed. Now that is sitting like a King.

The wifi is recommendable. Singapore Shang has one fast wifi service too. Just a bit sad i could not try the pool. The weather was really cold - but the Chi Spa is heavenly.

I recommend this hotel when you visit Tokyo and dont forget to try their wagyu beef - ouishi ne.

Yoi kyuujitsu o!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ShortsTrip
Write a ReviewReviews (1,536)

Reviewed April 18, 2012

Being my first time to Tokyo, we decided on a hotel that needed to be centrally located and not far from the Train stations. Shangri-la is just above Tokyo Central Station, so if you take the Narita Express from the airport, its just an hour away and just a few steps away from the train station. Next to the hotel is Daimaru shopping centre. I walked to Ginza which strolling only took 20 minutes to get to.

We took a corner room which had the most amazing views of the Imperial Gardens. We were on the 34th floor so the view was simply amazing. The corner rooms are really very spacious. Please see the pictures for a better appreciation of the room.

The package we had came with breakfast and choice of full buffet or ala carte depending on where you dine. Both experiences were awesome as the chefs really put effort into ensuring that what they send out is near perfection.

Concierge was very helpful with reservations and recommendations on places to dine. Coupled with very detailed maps and descriptions of the place that you need to go to. I am impressed with the level of professionalism and service standards and would return again.

Room Tip: Higher floors, corner rooms facing the imperial gardens and train station.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank purple_dots
Reviewed April 14, 2012

The Shangri-La hotel in Tokyo is located in the CBD area and is in fact housed in one of the office buildings, spanning its top few floors. The nearest train station is Tokyo station which is about 5 minutes walk from the ground floor entrance (‘Yaesu North’ at the train station). We arrived from Haneda airport via airport limousine bus which costs US$11/person one way. We were told by the hotel that there was ‘complimentary pick up service’ from the bus stand. We were expecting a car to pick us up but instead we met 2 hotel staff dressed in bright red uniforms who took our heavy luggages and escorted us to the hotel which was about a 10-15 minute walk away (i.e. they pulled our luggages through the busy CBD streets all the way to the hotel). There is a simple reception area on the ground floor where you need to take the lifts up to the main reception which is on the 28th floor.

The hotel has luxurious interiors with crystal chandeliers cascading over a descending staircase, plush furniture, soothing jazz music coming from the bar and that lovely scent omnipresent in Shangri-La hotels. It definitely takes your mind away from the hustle and bustle of Tokyo in the streets below. The hotel staff were very polite and friendly and check-in was fast. Though we arrived at 1pm they had a room ready for us as we had requested for early check-in. Although the staff who checked us in showed us to the lift, there was no one to help bring our luggages to the room.

We had a standard room on the 33rd floor and stayed for 2 nights. It cost us US$685/night with daily breakfast included. The room was huge for a standard room and offered views of the Tokyo train station below and the skyscrapers. We were lucky enough to see Mt Fuji on a clear day. There was no traffic noise whatsoever. The interior of the room was luxuriously furnished with two comfortable single beds and a small lounge by the large window which had automated day and night blinds. There was a large flat screen TV, free wireless internet, working desk and fully equipped mini bar with tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom was excellent with a separate wet shower area/bath tub and toilet stall. You could see the bathroom from the bedroom through a glass wall with an automated blind for privacy. However, if the bedroom is dark and the bathroom is well lit, you will be able to see the person taking a shower although the blinds are down! The rain shower was huge but I would have preferred stronger water intensity. The turn down service was nice with bookmarks, comfy bathroom slippers and pyjamas! They even had Japanese style robes in the drawers which were really comfortable to wear. They also provided a couple of fruits on our first night. Room service was expensive. I tried their chocolate fondant cake which was average as the middle part which had the chocolate did not ooze out.
We had our daily breakfast at Piacere which offered stunning views of the city. A very modern and classy restaurant. For the breakfast buffet, you had a choice of either American, Chinese or Japanese breakfast set (one serving) with the buffet service only comprising of pastries, juices, soup and fruits. Service was excellent. I also tried the foot reflexology at Chi The Spa which had great service and transports you to another world of peace and tranquility with soothing music and massage oils tailored to suit your needs.

The hotel also allowed us late check-out at 3pm on our departure day and helped us to store our luggage until we returned. Overall, I recommend the Shangri-La for its large rooms and luxurious and comfortable accommodation. They can improve on going the extra mile to provide more personalized service. At times it felt like there were too many guests coming in and out of the hotel and the staff couldn’t remember that you were one of their guests. The location in the CBD might be a tad far away from the main areas (about 20 minute walk to Ginza) but the Tokyo metro station is a 5 minute walk away. Overall an excellent experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank dragoneti
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We arrived to Tokyo on a cold March month however a stay at Shangri-la's newest addition was beyond spectacular and warmed us right up with their service. The best I would say of all the Shangri-las I have been to. The rooms are gorgeous. Beautiful comfy beds, large bathrooms and overall extremely spacious especially so considering this is Japan we are talking about!

The concierge was the most helpful I have ever experience. We would ask her for directions (many many times) and she would print us out a detail maps with pictures, arrows and all!

I went to the Park Hyatt which I also considered to stay and I would say pass that. It out of the way (other than the rooftop bar to boast.) The added plus about Shangri-la is that it is next to the train which is very key considering taxis are extremely pricey!

The only thing I would say is it isn't the best view eg. the entire skyline of Tokyo. But its still respectable.Loved loved it here.

Room Tip: We actually stay in 2 rooms here (coming back after our Kyoto trip) and the 2nd room was slightly mo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank catergrape
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Stayed here during a work visit. Soon as I saw the room I did not want to leave. The furnishings are impeccable and pure luxury. Was the best hotel experience I have had.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking Tokyo Central rail station and see the bullet train in action.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank businesstravel_12
Reviewed March 20, 2012

My first time to Japan and Tokyo but not my first stay at a Shang hotel and I have to admit they just don't disappoint. This hotel just exudes class and luxury.

I had a Horizon Club Premier room and seriously its a big room with a huge TV, really comfortable bed, large bathroom and overall everything a guest would want or need to make an enjoyable stay something to remember.

I'm a huge fan of Shangri-La's Horizon Club, as a business traveller its perfect for casual business meetings and as a guest its great to sit and relax and be spoilt with their fantastic service. It is expensive and there's no denying that and I accept there are cheaper options that are also excellent hotels, but, this hotel really is one amazing place and if you're on a holiday looking to spoil yourself and your significant other then this is the hotel for you.

Its not just great hotels that make Shangri-La special, its the little things and attention to detail and its the service that you can rely on to be outstanding no matter which hotel you stay at and that's what I value and find worth the extra expense.

My regret was I only had time for a 3 day stay and I really look forward to returning later this year not just to the Shang in Tokyo but also to see more of that city.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank JWGT1957
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Shangri-la Tokyo is one of the best luxury hotels I’ve seen in Asia, Europe, Middle East, and US.

• Excellent customer service
• Big and luxury rooms
• Rooms are equipped with many entertainment features
• Smoking rooms are available
• Good location (next to Tokyo’s station)

The hotel is highly recommended for business travellers, the hotel’s lobby is good for short business meetings or dinner.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Aljamea85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
Shinjuku
Park Hyatt Tokyo
Park Hyatt Tokyo
#1 of 87 in Shinjuku

Been to Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo? Share your experiences!