“Eating well”

Neighborhood: Yotsuya / Iidabashi
Tokyo, Japan
“Eating well”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I found dinner at Elio Locanda Italiana restaurant to be a delicious and enjoyable affair. Service was excellent, the food even better.
A full green salad with lots of arugula and tomatoes, ricotta cheese with juicy tomatoes--to die for, sizzling pork topped with an anchovy sauce,
and the best tiramisu this side of the Rubicon. I'll look forward next dinner at Elio Locanda!! Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2013

• Hebrew first
San Antonio, Texas
“Thank you, Elio”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The beautiful receptionist guided us by cell phone to the restaurant where we were warmly greeted, shown our table and given a complimentary glass of Prosecco by our charming waiter, Roberto. A couple of hours later, after a delicious meal accompanied by a perfect Sicilian red, we reluctantly left the warm, happy environs of Elio's to join the rat race outside. It was surprisingly exciting to find such a wonderful southern Italian restaurant in the middle of Tokyo.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This place came by recommendation from so many friends and colleagues, it just had to be tried. The service was friendly and helpful (at an authentic Italian pace - maybe that is a bit unkind, it was pretty fast).

The food was fantastic, it was the best Italian food I have had outside Italy. And better than a lot of the food in Italy! We quickly dispensed with the menu and took the waiter's recommendations. Please do the same if you visit. The fish was exquisite.

I will go again.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Alpha_Explorer
“Il sud a Tokyo ( the "South" of Italy in Tokyo).”
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

I found Elio's on TripAdvisor and tried it.
I used google map to find it and was easy and accurate.
The hostess was a young and cute Japanese who spoke Italian (felt very unusual to hear it).
I had just sat down and one of the waiters (Japanese who spoke Italian) brought to me vino prosecco complimentary of the house, I guessed because I was Italian. Few minutes later, another waiter, young Italian man from Calabria brought to me one complimentary small appetizer. They both waited me through dinner and were extremely friendly and cheerful.
I ordered "consigliere del maestro", which means the cook lines up for you the menu comprising appetizer sampler, pasta sampler, fish or meat dish, and 2 dessert sampler fort the price of 5,500 Yen + drinks.
The five appetizer were salmon carpaccio, eggplant polpetta. mozzarella caprese, veal with liver pâté' and scallop on a slice of clementine (see picture). Very good!
Then, pasta al nero di seppia and conchigliette pasta al sugo di salsiccia (red sausage sauce). See picture. Super delicious!
Cutlet of sword fish in almond bread crumbs as well as a very tender veal in a Marsala sauce followed the pastas. See photo. Outstanding !
While I was on the second course, the rumor that an Italian was in the room reached the owner, Elio, who came at my table to greet me. A fine man who worked his butt off all life and achieved success by running this reputable restaurant in a super competitive Tokyo. Read his adventurous story In their website. We spoke for 10 minutes about subjects only emigrants like the two of us would speak about....
Finally, of the many choices I picked babba' and fig crostata for dessert (see pictures). Do I have to say it???
What can I say: while I knew that of the over 100,000 restaurants in Tokyo there must be an excellent Italian one, actually finding one was still a wonderful surprise. Thank you reviewers of TripAdvisor for the hint!!!
For the ~$70 I paid, this dinner was quite a treat.

2 Thank Gigissimo
Usa, Japan
“Small but one of the best Italian restaurants you'll find anywhere”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Off a side street about 10 minutes from Imperial Palace this Elio Locundo is a gem. Food is wonderful (I particularly enjoy the homemade sausage Ravioli along with Fresh mozzarella from italy) in a very lively setting driven by their wonderful staff.

Diners feed off of the uplifting staff attitude which creates an atmosphere that is special.

I make a point of stopping by every time I visit Tokyo.

IMPORTANT: make reservations in advance.

• Visited October 2012