“Can't complain at the price!”

Toyoko Inn Tokyo Korakuen Bunkyokuyakusho Mae
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels / Ryokan in Bunkyo
Kawanishi-shi, Hyogo, Japan
“Can't complain at the price!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I spent two nights here, and what can one say, really. It's a Toyoko Inn, which means a clean and cheap (but small) room, and a little bit of very basic breakfast thrown in. The internet was also free and fast enough. For 7,000 yen or so I cannot complain.

Good stuff: Wonderful location - I got there in the middle of a snowstorm, so glad to find out it was right opposite an underground station access passage exit. Lots of nearby food; two 24 hour convenience stores and a cheap Saizeriya (Italian-ish) chain less than a minute away, along with a number of other restaurants.

Bad stuff: My room was non-smoking, but not the floor. The two rooms nearest the lift, it seemed, were smoking, making the corridor a bit smelly. No heating in the bathroom, so showers were a little cold.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Throughly enjoyed my stay here.
The location was excellent. Very close to Toyko Dome and across the road from a metro station.
Hotel was very clean and encountered no problems during our stay.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed August 5, 2012

C+ because it's so cramped (at least for the average sized Westerner), but A+ in other areas -- very well designed, immaculate, across the street from one subway station (Namboku and Mita lines) and a block from the major Korakuen station. They even provide you with a nightshirt. Japanese breakfast included, too. There's a hot water machine in the room, but bring your own tea bag. Hair dryers, shampoo, also provided. Because it's so economical and convenient it's always booked pretty far in advance, so give yourself lots of lag time. No restaurant, but there's a takeout place a couple steps away, an inexpensive Italian place a couple steps in the other direction, and an izakaya across the street.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Indonesia
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Stayed there often few years back, used our member card & updated it when we went on business trip in Tokyo or visited my brother when he studied in Tokyo. Great place because so near to the Tokyo Dome for sight seeing, had fast lunch like McD or even Japanese Ramen Ichiran & there was a convinient store nearby (but is not there anymore if I remember correctly), also there is a book store nearby, which I bought some architecture & plantation books or fashion magazines.
-Finding the exit was kind of difficult at first but get used to it.
-Room just nice, neat, clean, room vs value is just right.
-Breakfast nothing special but for fastbreak business people, its acceptable.
-Just not satisfied that front officers cant understand english well because I realized more & more international people staying there.
-Still remember nice songs all the time I took the lift
-A nice bread store next door was nice

Hope can stay there again next time!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed November 13, 2010

2nd trip to Tokyo and I picked the location for its good access to all parts of the city. Shinjuku, Ikebukuro and Akihabara were all just 15 min away. It is a budget hotel and I was surprised what I got for the low rate. There was a basic continental breakfast included. Free wifi in the lobby. The room was typical Japanese small size but with a larger than expected bed. Basic English spoken at the front desk, which is all I needed, and they were polite about my attempts to speak Japanese. They still gave me a discount for being eco friendly (not having towels changed daily) and organised overnight delivery of my suitcase to my next hotel while I traveled with just a day pack. I plan to take my 10 year old son back there next year when I show him Japan. He will love the near by amusement park at Tokyo Dome. Cheers

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank djmid
Singapore
Reviewed September 29, 2010

We arrived here from Matsumoto late evening. Connecting from Shinjuku Station via the Toei Oeda Line to Kasuga Station. We had a little difficulty finding determining which is the best exit. The hotel's website map is unclear. So we called the hotel and they guided us to Exit 8.

On the right of hotel, you can walk about 8 mins to Tokyo Dome/LaQua, where the Kōrakuen Station is located. All Toyoko Inns are more or less the same. In fact, this is our 5th night in a Toyoko Inn. I am getting sick of it (all the rooms are the same) but my husband loves the predictability. Besides, do you really need room service/swimmng pool/restaurant? We don't. We want free internet access, which 5-star hotels actually charge you for it. Since you can't choose the decor, you can at least choose the location. I chose this location because
1. It is close to Marunouchi line. We need an easy connection to Tokyo station for Narita Express.
2. It is located in the Bunkyo ward (north of Imperial Garden). This is largely a residential area & university area (Tokyo University). In fact, it is very quiet (but safe) in the evenings.
3. It is near the park/garden: the famous Koishikawa Korakuen
4. My friend stays in Sugamo. This is easy access to her location.

My husband was hungry....so we venture in the vicinity for supper. There is McDonald's in the next block, and little ramen shops. Loved the location!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MouMou
Zagreb
Reviewed March 14, 2006

I ve stayed there for a week and its a great location for sightseeing in Tokyo. The metro station is just across the street and there are few lines. After that I stayed in othere Toyoko Inns in Kyoto and Naha and also was very pleased.
Breakfast is japanese,small, just miso soup and rice, and thats the only bed thing about that hotel.
Rooms are clean,not too big, but who stays there anyway. when in Tokyo :)
Its just few steps from Tokyo Dome and a great Spa, and K orakowen gareden.
If I returnt to Japan Toyoko Inns would definitly be my choice again.

• Stayed August 2005