“Best Ryokan Hostel I Have Ever Stayed”
Review of Homeikan

Homeikan
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels / Ryokan in Bunkyo
Hangzhou
“Best Ryokan Hostel I Have Ever Stayed”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just could not make my mind clear since I was so addicted by their atmosphere.

I was on business trip in late October, 2011, Half year after the earthquake and tsunami attached North East of Japan.

They have three branches and I stayed with their Hon Kan branch.

Was check in very late at night, their manager posted a very detailed guide on the window of the entrance enable me find my room, for every steps I move, there is always clear clue customer could find, Japanese traditional hospitality always put the customer at the first place, Where should change the shoes, how to use the bathroom, Time of the breakfast, everything is in black and white with really warm tones.

Their room is super clean and the tatami mat with the smell of real history, No, not the bad smell, they do clean the room everyday.

Their breakfast is also very rich, I could not name all of them, but I know it is the combination of rice, pickled vegetables, etc,

All in all, I like Homeikan,

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JarodZhu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Then this is your place! Leave your shoes at the door and wear slippers inside... be sure to change into the bathroom slippers when you go to the toilet - isolate those germs! The rooms are rice mats, cot on the floor, traditional house robe is provided for you to walk to and from the bath/toilet. Bathing should be done in the evening - Japanese style. You sit on a stool and wash yourself with water, then relax in a hot-tub like bath, then soap and rinse on the stool, then you can either relax more, or towel off and go. Both private and public options. The traditional breakfast is AMAZING, definitely go with that option! Also, full tea set and hot-water pitcher for green tea (in bags or in a "raw" in a can) at a moment's notice. Beautiful garden between 2nd floor windows and street.

Room Tip: It can be tricky to get from Hongo-sanchome and back. You need to head North from the station up Ho...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nick C
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

My family of 5, 3 boys 14, 8 and 5 loved the huge room. Wonderful old world feel in the heart of Tokyo. From nearby Kasunga Station we could get everywhere. Ueno, Asakusa, Harajuku, Tsukiji were all within easy reach. The boys got a little tired one night and we got takeouts within 5 minutes walk from the ryokan. The staff were friendly and helpful especially Ito San. She was really warm and friendly with loads of great advice. The rooms were rich in details and the family bath was a wet and wild blast as we had the entire bath to ourselves. We would definitely come back. Great value too!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank PentaK
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Staying here was a highlight of our trip to Japan. Homeikan was a wonderful base for Tokyo. The rooms were very clean, the bath was comfortable, and the hosts were kind and attentive. It's in a nice area of Tokyo, with easy access to friendly local restaurants and the subway. Our guide in Tokyo was very impressed, noting that were very few traditional guesthouses like it left in Tokyo. We found it to be excellent value for money, being one of the cheaper places we stayed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kathleen K
Toronto
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Decent decor for one who respects and enjoys Japanese traditional style accommodations. I love the pebble corridors with beautiful lacquered wooden steps. Tooth-brushing and face-washing tubs also reminds me of what I've only seen in comic books! The neighbourhood has many beautiful cafes and eateries catered to the Tokyo University just beside it.

Facilities are fine. 24-hour public bath and a nice private family bath (though I had only myself using it) helps you unwind after a long day of activities. Tatami and futon is always a comfort. Essentially different from a metropolitan hotel, this will give you a fuller Japanese experience at a good value. Only down side was that the wifi extenders didn't work, so I had to go near the computer room for internet -- not inside because it appears to be also a smoking room.

Staff are very friendly and helpful, making my stay quite a memorable one. Open yourself to the culture, and you will gain much friendship in return. This is a piece of Tokyo that is less commercial and less cold. Originally thought I'd do hotel-hopping, but at the end I chose to spend all my tokyo sleeps here.

By the way, four days into my stay, when wearing my shoes on my way out, I noticed the sakura tree in the opposite residence blossomed!! A lovely surprise!

Room Tip: If you need wifi, stay near the computer room where the router is.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank junkbay
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Overall I enjoyed my stay here. It it was hard to find the location, and when we finally found it we were told to we were staying in a different building several blocks away, so we had to walk even further. The bath facilities weren't as clean as I would prefer but nothing serious. The room, however, was very comfy and we slept well. The staff were friendly.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank caitieah
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed February 17, 2012

A charming ryokan with lovely, kind staff who go out of the way to make you feel welcome. If you are after a glamorous and detached hotel experience, Homeikan is not for you - the rooms here are quirky and have a cosy, personal atmosphere. Each one is unique and makes you feel at home. The Japanese garden also adds a really nice touch - it's small but really beautiful and well kept.

The facilities are good. I used the family bath and it was lovely and relaxing. I never had to wait or share, maybe because it wasn't very busy during our stay. The rooms/bathroom have everything you would expect from a good hotel, so you don’t need to bring anything (well, except a hair-dryer perhaps, since theirs are not very strong. :D)

Homeikan is in a lovely and quiet residential area (close to Tokyo University), but there are plenty of stores and places to have dinner nearby, and Hongo-sanchome metro station is only about 10 minutes down the road, making it easy to get to all the famous sights of the city. (Be careful though, the metro closes at around midnight, and taxis are very expensive!)

This was my first trip to Japan and, honestly, I couldn't have hoped for a better accommodation! My only two regrets are that I didn’t get to try the lovely-looking breakfast and that I couldn't stay longer! I really wish I could live here. :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank MiladyNelly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunkyo
Ochanomizu / Akihabara / Kanda
Hotel Fukudaya
#4 of 11 in Meguro
Family Inn Saiko
#1 of 55 in Toshima

Been to Homeikan? Share your experiences!