“very good and typical ryokan !!!!”
Review of Homeikan

Homeikan
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels / Ryokan in Bunkyo
Brussel
“very good and typical ryokan !!!!”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

very good traditionnal ryokan near a big mall with all facilities. peacefull neigborhood.
the staff was very nice and usefull...like japan people !

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We stayed here for two nights, and I can only say that I wish we would have spent our entire time in Tokyo here. Its a beautiful old building (we were told its one of the few in the area that survived WWII as well as the great earthquake) located on a quiet sidestreet in a lovely neigborhood. The staff were beyond friendly, and very eager to please. The place is small enough (20 rooms at the very most) that they seemed to know and recognize each guest by name. I stay in hotels about 150 nights per year, and I wish the staff at all the hotels I stay in were this cheery and accomodating. We also really enjoyed the Japanese breakfasts served in our room. If you stay here, I would highly reccomend this. Its actually a pretty good deal for room service too. We even got to really enjoy the communal baths too, as a nice hot soak was just the thing after walking around the city all day. As long as you can deal with not having ensuite facities (a fact we were aware of when we booked...Most Ryokan do not btw), I'd stay stop searching and book this place now. Overall, I can't say enough about how great this place was and how much we liked it. And for the price... Its hard to beat.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FlyinFoodieGuy
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This is a truly traditional ryokan, so don't expect noisy common rooms and big socializing opportunities. If you're looking for a nice room, very peaceful atmosphere, japanese gardens outside your window, traditional breakfast in your room and the traditional hot tub bath, come here. I stayed 2 nights and got upgraded for free for the third night - just because :) got my own extra porch and an even nicer room. Came here to get a rest from busy Tokyo and relax and let my thoughts run free - this was the best place for it. Someone mentioned the smell - the place smells like old wooden building with tatami mats but not bad, don't worry about it. Rooms have TV, aircon, fridge and fast wifi!
Close to subway Kasuga and Korankuen as well as to many restaurants, shops etc. Thank you very much for the great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a private porch with garden view :)
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Annana2011
Paris, France
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed a week at the ryokan and its annex. The annex was full of mosquitoes.
The managers offered us a Japanese breakfast one day.
In both locations the rooms were clean, the common bathroom clean.
It was a nice place to stay as we were working at the nearby Tokyo University.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank OpheliaAutumn
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We loved this ryokan, which was our first night in Tokyo on a three-week trip. Definately going to stay there on our return trip through the big city.
Homeikan is a little out of the way, but we liked the area and found fantastic restaurants on our ten minute walk to the subway to visit busier parts of Tokyo.
The inside of Homeikan is breath-takingly original in decor, design and attitude. There is a little box of tea, cups and tea pot and hot water in the room and we had a lovely sun-room overlooking the street.
The women's bath is a large stone room downstairs with shared toilets and sinks closer to the rooms.
We had a double room with a little pebbled anti-chamber, hall and large sitting/sleeping room. We ordered breakfast in the room and could smell them cooking egg omlettes early in the morning.
The staff were attentive, particularly given the timing of our visit just after the earthquake/tsunami.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank lostluggage80
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I visited Tokyo on business and decided that I'd spend a couple of days beforehand adjusting to the jet-lag and being a tourist. My wife had said I should consider a traditional Ryokan for a sample of traditional Japanese hospitality. I chose Homeikan on the basis of the reviews here and was not at all disappointed.

The staff were always very helpful and had good English. The rooms (different rooms for the 2 nights but they had told me in advance this would be the case) were spacious and airy. On returning in the evening a flask of hot water was in the room for making tea and the bed was made up. Breakfasts were traditional Japanese and served in the room and an experience in themselves. The communal bath was a very pleasant and relaxing experience even though the water was so hot.

At the end of the 2 nights I had to transfer to a regular business hotel more convenient for the office I was visiting and quite honestly on arriving there I instantly felt nostalgic for the Ryokan. I'm so glad I chose to stay at Homeikan as it made what would have been a wonderful first trip to Japan (earthquake excepted) a really special experience. If you are obsessed with having en-suite facilities and can;t cope with the idea of sleeping on the floor then this isn't for you, if however you're prepared to forego those frills to experience something different then I would thoroughly recommend Homeikan.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Bangkok
Reviewed February 16, 2011

It was my first trip to Japan. I just want some special Japanese stay in the trip, so I chose Homeikan, coz of its not-so-expensive rate and its location. Can easily reach there by Tokyo Metro, walk along the road that pass Tokyo Uni.'s famous Aka-Mon, and then walk few min. by little street through neighborhood area, nice stroll!

The building is a beautiful traditional Japanese house, with koi pond and little court garden. The interior is bit too dark (give me 'lil creepy feeling at night!) but all was preserved in its traditional way. The room was decorated in old style, that included oh-so-small sized TV too :P But the best is its private 'Ofuro'. You can use this hot bath tub privately with lock on door, very soothing after all-day-long walking, I bet!

The staff here was veryyyyyyyy nice. I met one who ever came to Thailand, she can speak English and little Thai too. We had talked a lot, and she gave some advise about transportation in Tokyo and some interesting Japanese TV drama :D

This time I didn't book room w/ breakfast nor dinner, but will try it next time. It'll surely superb, I dare say after noticed that nice smell floating all over the lobby!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunkyo
Yotsuya / Iidabashi
Asakusa Shigetsu
#32 of 120 in Taito
Family Inn Saiko
#1 of 55 in Toshima

Been to Homeikan? Share your experiences!