“Terrible service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels / Ryokan in Bunkyo
Melbourne, Australia
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I'm currently at this hotel now for one night after a 2+ week stay mainly in Tokyo and Osaka areas. This is the most expensive hotel I've stayed at with my daughter, but I thought for our last night, it would be worth spending a little extra for a few extra comforts before a long flight home.

Well boy was I wrong...

First impressions were great, there's a beautiful lobby, impressive glass elevators that show off the immaculate Tokyo Dome area, check in was good - they promptly took our luggage and delivered it quickly to us in our room.

The rooms are a good size for Japan, but particularly Tokyo standards. But that's where the good news stops. The beds, whilst not totally uncomfortable are really quite hard - I do understand some people like firm beds, but of the 4 hotels we've stayed at, these are definitely the hardest. The TV is small for a hotel of this 'class', and the rooms are overall bland and lack character. The walls also seem to be made of paper, you can hear lots of banging, tapping, etc. from other rooms.

I did get a reasonable rate on this room, so would have given it more than 1 star if it hadn't taken 3 hours to connect to the internet.

The website advertises free wireless LAN and broadband. I have my laptop with me - I was quite happy to connect to the internet with the LAN cable provided in the room, which I did for the first several hours (I was in and out of the room of course). But then it stopped working. I contacted front desk, they sent up a staff member to assist, and another to assist - we just couldn't get connected to the internet again via the cable.

I asked for wireless, no they couldn't help me. They apologised but said there was nothing they could do. NOT GOOD ENOUGH! After fiddling around for another 1.5 hours (I really needed the internet!), I called front desk again and suddenly they were able to send someone up with wireless LAN - at a cost of 300 yen!! Now I know this is only a small charge - I was more than prepared to pay it when I first contacted front desk about my internet connection problems - but after several hours I was fed up! I do not understand why when I asked and asked, this wasn't provided earlier!

Anyhow, the gentleman who connected me to the internet (in the end) advised it was complimentary, but this hotel is going to have to improve its service standards. This is not how I intended my last night in Tokyo to be. I was preparing to wind down with a nice glass of wine and take in a good view of the wonderful Tokyo city.

English is overall good at this hotel so there is no excuse to keep a guest waiting 3 hours to be connected to the internet when wireless LAN is available.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank airtravelplanner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed at the Tokyo Dome Hotel for almost 10 days, whereof half of the time was for business.
The hotel is placed right next to a large funfair, which on my arrival, thought would be a night mare. It turned out that it was to no bother at all.
The service is excellent all the way and throughout to the restaurants, tea bar, and cocktail bar (bar 2000).
The hotel has a good variety of restaurants, a bit for everybody and the tea bar serves good cream cakes and tea.
The bar 2000 is located on the 6th floor and did to my surprise shake a good cocktail.
The rooms are good and clean, the air conditioner is quiet, but there is no Wi-Fi, only the old fashion cable.

Room Tip: like always, go for the top, and for some, the beds can be a bit hard, so ask for additional blanket...
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

One of the best things about staying at the Tokyo Dome Hotel is that it is part of a major, no-kidding landmark, the Tokyo Dome, so that no matter where you're coming from, where you've gone or how much sake you've imbibed, any taxi driver in Tokyo can figure out where you want to go. You'll never worry about not finding your way back to your hotel. It is also within walking distance to one of Tokyo's best restaurant districts, and there are two different train stations/train lines within a stone's throw of the hotel. It is clean, efficient, and just enough English is spoken that you'll not have any real challenges in staying here. On the downsize, the rooms are very typical Tokyo, which is to say they are very small and sparsely furnished with minimal, IKEA-esque furnishings . . . $300 bucks worth of cheap furniture, and a $3,000 Droid toilet that will warm, wash, scrub, shower, and blow-dry your nether regions! I had a very good stay here, but can only give the hotel three stars because (a) the beds are horrible, essentially a box spring and mattress pad, minus the actual mattress, yielding very poor sleep, and (b) the in-room internet is pretty lame considering you're in the land of consumer electronics - your computer is on a very short leash in the form of a small ethernet cable, no wi-fi to be had. apparently there is wi fi in the lobby, but it is an upcharge and not easy to figure out. One other point on the +plus+ side of the ledge, the Tokyo Dome was very reasonably priced - not something you ever expect to find in Tokyo!

1 Thank Holokauahi
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as the conference we were attending had put up all its guests here.
The hotel is part of a complex which also includes a baseball stadium and across the road from an interesting shopping complex which incorporates a big dipper and fun fair. Quite different from the smaller hotels we would normally stay at but obviously aimed at conferences and business people. Our room on the 31st floor had the most amazing views.

Location wise its within walking distance of the royal palace, and an interesting Japanese garden just around the corner where the mosquitos are waiting for you. There are lots of cheap eating places close by and lots of Japanese families with small children at the weekend coming to use the facilities of the fun fair.

The hotel rooms were a good size. Free Wi-Fi is only available in the reception area, if you want Wi-Fi in your room you have to pay for it. If you have a lap top then you can access the internet via cable for free.

The staff are extremely helpful and one lady in particular went to great extreme to sort our transport problem on what was a public holiday - what a star. The only downside is the inflexible approach to checking in. Jet lagged guests who have been arriving all morning/early afternoon are waiting in the reception area then at the appointed time suddenly everyone gets up and rushes over to the desk to check in.

Other reviewers found the bed uncomfortable, but I thought they were just right, but then I like a firm mattress. Bathrooms had everything you needed with everything from hairbrush, toothbrush etc. An iron would have been useful, but then I am sure if I had asked for one it would have been provided.

Would certainly stay here again.

2 Thank goodtogethome
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I spent one night here have last been here 6 years ago. Not much changed with the usual high level of service and comfort. Views from the 43 floor was the main reason for returning as this is one of the "must see" sites of the world - particularly at night! Excellent shuttle bus service tot he Narita Airport at Y3,000.

Surabaya, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

What I love about this hotel:
1. Great location. It is within Tokyo Dome complex, along with a mall, a station (so we can get around easily)
2. Nice facility. Huge lobby, big rooms (compared to other hotels in Japan)
3. Wide selection of food for breakfast. I particularly love their udon.

They just need to have free wifi in the rooms, then they'd be perfect. So far, it's a free high speed internet, but not wireless..

Room Tip: The higher the better
2 Thank EunikeG
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel about a week. It was probably one of the best hotels that I ever stayed at in Japan, particularly given the price I was charged. The room was clearly the largest hotel room I have ever had in a Japanese hotel. There was no iron and iron board in the room, but when were promptly brought to my room on request. The internet was fast (ethernet connection only, but with the possibility to share a wifi network with the mobile devices). The rooms are also quiet, have a nice table for work.

There are many restaurants around the hotel, some of them with Western menus, which may be handy if you do not want to exclusively eat Japanese (or Asian) food. At the Tokyo Dome there is also a food court, which provides a selection of Asian cuisines. I don't speak Japanese, and this neighborhood I had no problems getting good meals despite the language barrier. Definitely a good location to explore the rest of Tokyo.

One nice thing about the hotel is that it is also just next to a subway station, which makes it very accessible. I also had to shorten my stay by one day, which I announced upon check-in, and that was changed without extra charge (I have also made the opposite experience in Japan). I would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank anglosuisse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunkyo
Ochanomizu / Akihabara / Kanda
Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo
#1 of 21 in Bunkyo
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo

Been to Tokyo Dome Hotel? Share your experiences!