“The Real Japan”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels / Ryokan in Bunkyo
Canberra
“The Real Japan”
Reviewed January 13, 2008

After a day at the Disney resort where everything is superb fake,( even the cracks in the concrete paths are manufactured,) it was a joy to return to Edoya for the night. Nothing there was fake. I had the feeling that I was experiencing the "real Japan" which was missing in the other four hotels in which I stayed during my trip.

The staff was welcoming and always eager to help answer any queries. If one was so moved, one could eat enough at breakfast to get one to the evening meal. OH WHAT A BREAKFAST ! The basic western ingredients were there ( bread coffee eggs, ) but it was the authentic local cuisine which intrigued me .... new tastes. textures and combinations. And isn't why we travel. If I wanted familiar food I'd have stayed at home in Australia.

I enjoyed the experience so much that I have already reserved a room at Edoya for my next trip in February '08

• Liked — Authentic, it fulfilled my ideas of what Japanese Inns are really like.
  • Disliked — The last 100 metres to the door after a day of walking everywhere.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank jamesjamesCanberra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Near Chicago
Reviewed January 11, 2008

I stayed at the Hotel Edoya for about 3 days, and it was great. The building, lounge, etc may be a little old but I didn't care. Our room was one of the Japanese style rooms and it was great - we even had a separate living room which I did not specifically book, so our entire "suite" was huge! The staff was wonderful and tried their best to help us in english, to find places in the area, etc. Very conveniently located, only a short walk to train stations. Excellent hotel to serve as your "base" when exploring Tokyo, and a good price. I've even recommended it to friends who were traveling to Tokyo.

• Liked — location, price, nice rooms, friendly staff
  • Disliked — building was a little old....
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
Stuttgart
Reviewed October 24, 2007

I think its a advisable hotel for this very little price. The room was clean, large and simple but very nice furnished. I stayed there for three weeks and it was a very comfortable basis for exploring Tokyo - you have only a few minutes to walk to Ueno Station or the Metro station. The partial english speaking staff was very helpful and always friendly. It is right that it is a little bit old but this is rather charming than objectionable.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Valencia
Reviewed August 4, 2007

This hotel located in Ueno is really cheap but I think it's worth pay more and spend a better stay. It's really old and rooms are dark and the bathroom is really horrible. You have to do a big effort to have a shower there. I found a sock under my futton (it was not mine) so I'm not sure it was very clean. Corridors have a nasty smell and you prefer walk and walk for hours in Tokyo better than spend more than a minute in the room. Nevertheless is really cheap and if you can't afford spend more money, location is good and there are Internet free access.

• Liked — el precio
  • Disliked — el estado de las habitaciones, en especial del baño.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed June 22, 2007

When we first entered the hotel, we were greeted by the warm welcomes of the hotel staff and the cosy ambience of the hotel lobby. Though small and a little old, the hotel had a cosy and inviting atmosphere, the feeling of coming home.

We took a 3+1 japanses-styled room for 5 nights. The room though a little cramp, was clean. Despite having small pillow, the tatami mats were large enough and the blanket was soft.

Facilities were rather complete. There was a hot spring for relaxation after a hectic day, a computer with fast internet connection, hot water for instant noodles, cool potable water for drinking, etc.

Most importantly, the hotel staff were very friendly and polite. Language wasn't much of a barrier as we met with a staff who speaks English. In short, the hotel staff tried their very best to answer our queries and clear our doubts. Maps are also provided.

• Liked — First class service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank jasonnn
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 10, 2006

I reserved this hotel because I wanted a room of Japanese style.
The hotel is a little old and not in very good state. The small Japanese
room was rather pretty, but unfortunately there was much noise.
I found that it was a little expensive, for quality suggested.
I will not go back there.

• Stayed September 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minnetonka
Reviewed November 29, 2005

I had read both of the previous reviews before deciding to try it. Both were correct. It is a great place to stay for the price and is very close to Yushima station, but yes you do need to climb a huge slope to get there... but if you're like most traveling in Japan, you are used to walking! The staff was friendly - only one spoke very good English, the others did ok. My room was a "western" style and was clean, but definitely could have used some updating. I was just happy to have a nice bed, a tv (for noise - no English) and a refrigerator. The bathroom area was clean, and the shower was very hot with great pressure, but you could not have paid me to use the bathtub! The hallway carpeting was in a hugely sorry state. I did not use the ofuro, although a Japanese woman had been so it must not have been too bad (?) The free breakfast was good, although I was unaware of what it was I was eating most of the time. The restaurant was very clean. I would stay there again because of the location and price. If you are there on vacation, you should be too tired to care about how clean the outside of your room is or how outdated the hotel is in general. You could do worse - I saw worse places while I was in Japan!

• Stayed November 2005
5 Thank Lynn R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunkyo
Yotsuya / Iidabashi
#8 of 21 in Bunkyo
Forest Hongo
Forest Hongo
#4 of 21 in Bunkyo

Been to Hotel Edoya? Share your experiences!