“Great Location in the old Tokyo”
Review of Tokiwa Hotel

Tokiwa Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 B&Bs / Inns in Arakawa
Seoul, Korea
“Great Location in the old Tokyo”
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Very close to Yamanote line(only 50 meter from the hotel), and Yanaka Ginza(one of the famous place of Shitamachi-old town of Tokyo) is 3 minutes walk from the hotel. Ueno and Asakusa can be reached by 20~30 minutes' bicycle ride. I think I should have spent more time near the hotel, other than the crowded city area like Shinjuku.
The hotel itself has good value. The bathroom is small and furniture looks a bit old, but room is clean and cozy. Railroad is close to station, but my room was the opposite side of railroad and I've hardly heard the sound of trains. Staffs can understand my simple English and tried to meet my requests.
I was informed that breakfast is serviced from 6am to 9am, but one day when I tried to have my breakfast at 8:30 am, the restaurant had nobody and the light was out. However considering the price and location the hotel has great value and I'd like to visit the hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank mk_bom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
California
Reviewed November 8, 2008

Stayed for two nights.
No problems, has all the amenities that one would expect from a business hotel, fridge, TV, bidet, etc. There's wireless Internet and there's a couple computer stations downstairs for guests to use.

The owner was very nice and upgraded my room from a Single A to Single B for free.
They replied to my e-mail about reservations in English but when conversing with them, I just used simple Japanese.

This seems to be a bit of an older hotel as the paint is peeling a bit in the corners and there were some stains behind the shower head, but everything else was impeccable which was as expected from a Japanese hotel.

Since I've previously only stayed at mainstream hotels, an interesting thing for me is that you have to take off your shoes at the entrance and place them in a shoebox and wear slippers to your room.
Like Toyoko Inn, you have to leave your key at the front desk when you leave. The doors close at 12:30 am.

There's also an onsen, but I didn't try it.
I paid around 6500 yen per night so this is a reasonable alternative to places like Toyoko Inn and is a convenient stop if you're taking the Skyliner from Narita Airport

• Liked — convenience
  • Disliked — a bit old
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arakawa
Hotel MyStays Nippori
Hotel Livemax Nippori
#80 of 120 in Taito
Hotel Sunny
#1 of 5 in Arakawa

Been to Tokiwa Hotel? Share your experiences!