“Caught in the middle of renovation”

MetroCentre Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Tagbilaran City
cebu
“Caught in the middle of renovation”
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We had to stay a few more days in Bohol due to bad weather and we chose this hotel which we thought was conveniently located in the city. We got a standard room which was quite small for me, my hubby and two kids. Unfortunately we were booked in the floor which was being renovated that time and was not serviced by the elevator, and there were no wifi. We had to move to another room same floor the second day since our room was reserved for another client. The restroom did not have a door and while the reception did explain about it beforehand, she said that housekeeping will just place showercurtains, which they did not. For breakfast, you choose between filipino or american, which eitherway was ok with me. At the penthouse is the gym and pool although I saw in their bathrooms a jacuzzi and steam room, which I did not bother asking if functional. Location is very strategic since it's minutes away from the sea and airports...which they can bring or fetch you for free.

• Stayed December 2012
MetroCentre_Hotel, Manager at MetroCentre Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Bantayanscape,

Thank you for reviewing us. We adhere on explaining that the guests were given show-room firstly before finally checking in the room. Our reception did advise the guests to put up shower curtain as per request from them but it was also their decision to refuse our room attendant from putting up the said request. However, we extend our apology for some inconveniences you had met. Rest assured, we will look further on this and find meaningful ways to solve it. We are looking forward to welcome you back very soon! Please let us know your next planned vacation through our email at metroctr@metrocentrehotel.com

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights, 25-28 November 2012. The location is very convenient, amid lots of shops with a mall about 300m away. My room (508) had a window on the street and it was a bit noisy at times, but was quiet enough at night. The furniture, carpet and fittings were quite old, and the TV was an old CRT model, but the reception was good and there were plenty of cable channels, including the BBC, CNN, Australian Network and HBO. There was a safe, and the free wifi worked very well in my room. The room was clean enough, with none of the dreaded sugar ants (there was a sign to warn unsuspecting guests not to leave food in the room). There was a refrigerator and two small bottles of water per day, but no tea or coffee-maker.
The breakfast selection was ok, and the staff were friendly and helpful. The daytime security guard arranged a tour to the Chocolate Hills, tarsier sanctuary and a few other places en route for a good rate (sorry I didn't record what I paid, but it was P500 cheaper than other places).
They offer a free pick-up and delivery to the airport and the pier, but strangely enough not to the bus terminal which is what I needed.
My main complaint about this place is the cost, P2545 per night. It's not worth more than P1800 until they replace the furniture, carpets, TV and curtains.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Stickman1
MetroCentre_Hotel, Manager at MetroCentre Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Hello Stickman1,

Thank you for the review. We would like to apologize for the things that you perceive unsuitable during your stay. We are taking your suggestions well. Be confident that we are presently under renovation to better serve our valued guests. Even so, we anticipate your return the next time you visit Bohol soon!

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for business last April and May.
Although the hotel is obviously old, it is one of the better places to stay in Tagbilaran.

The hotel structure itself and its interiors have definitely seen better days, as the facilities and furniture appear dated. The rooms themselves are spacious, but the interiors and furniture are old and a bit beaten up. Carpets and bathroom could use a more thorough cleaning.

Another drawback is the lack of wifi or internet access in the rooms, wifi being provided in the ground floor lobby and restaurant, which is inconvenient if you need to do web research, as well as send and check work emails.

The complimentary breakfast also leaves much to be desired and is not exactly filling.

On the plus side are the friendly staff and central location in the middle of tagbilaran city. There is also a 24 hour convenience store within the hotel complex where one can buy everything from chips to toiletries to magazines.

Although old, the rooms also have a good cable tv selection, as well as strong airconditioning. There are also coffee and tea facilities in the room, as well as an electronic safe for valuables.

Old but centrally located, metrocentre would be a good choice if you plan to spend more time in the city proper - but all in all nothing spectacular.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank qallado
MetroCentre_Hotel, Manager at MetroCentre Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Hello qallado!

Thank you very much for your time in putting a review on us. Our apologies for some inconsistencies that likely depreciate your stay at the hotel and we are pleased to take your comments constructively. We, in the light of better servicing, is currently renovating our hotel rooms and amenities. Other than that, we are hopeful to see you back again very soon!

Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel rooms and meeting facilities were adequate, although a bit dated. The location was perfect. It was right in the center of town, walking distance to almost everything.

They were doing some remodeling of event space while we were there. Perhaps they will be working on other parts as well.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first, the rooms can be very different in quality.
Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ToddyD
MetroCentre_Hotel, Manager at MetroCentre Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Mr. toddyD,

My greetings of peace to you! For your shared time in reviewing our hotel, we are grateful of all your observations and comments. We are presently upgrading our facilities as an appeal that it is but the hotel guests that we adhere our attention most. We will appreciate your return on your next visit to Bohol soon!

manila
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I just checked in this morning and to say that i am disappointed is an understatement. If only I haven't paid the 50% dp, I would have transferred to another hotel. For P3,000+ for a de luxe room, I expected a lot more -- at least a nice room with buffet breakfast plus coffee/tea making facilities. What I got was a gaudy-looking room with worn, dirty carpet and toiletries composed of soap and shampoo. It doesn't even have the standard toothbrush/toothpaste set which even small B&Bs provide. The TV is old although thankfully, it has lots and lots of cable channels. And yes, one big plus is the fast and free Wi-Fi connection in the room. Btw, the bathroom is nice and modern enough.

I was informed beforehand that renovation is ongoing and that the hotel facade is being repainted. But i never thought that the painters will be working right beside my window (I'm on the sixth floor). Fortunately, they were quite noisy so I noticed that they were just outside, otherwise, they could easily peep into my room since the curtains were not drawn. The smell of the paint, however, managed to seep into my room and made me a bit nauseous.

Metrocentre is located right smack at the city center as its name implies so it's somehow noisy coz the windows couldn't really block off the sound from passing vehicles unless you decide to get the rooms at the back which do not have windows. It is walking distance to Asturias supermarket where jeepneys going to Island City Mall are parked. It also owns the BQ mall about 300 meters away. Hotel guests get to use the pool, gym, and game room for free. There's also free entrance to its bar/club.

The place is not really a sight to look at considering that it's the sister establishment of the lovely Panglao Island Nature Resort but since it's undergoing a makeover, hopefully, it can be as good someday.

Room Tip: choose a room at the higher floors to at least muffle the sounds from the street
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank gold1109
MetroCentre_Hotel, Manager at MetroCentre Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Gold 1109,

Thank you for writing us. Our sincere apologies for matters that caused you inconveniences to our hotel. We are mindful of our guests' sentiments and we are pleased to note your concerns wisely. Other than that, thank you for your compliments and we hope to serve you on your next scheduled visit to Bohol.

Travelers are raving about these Tagbilaran City hotels

Tacloban, Philippines
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My parents and I actually stayed here overnight since we were not able able to synchronize our sched with the Ro-ro sailing to Plaridel. It was just a short experience for me but I would say the staffs were very accommodating. We were assisted from the moment we parked our car in their parking lot down to our room. Staffs gave us the feeling of " a home away from home" gestures.
The second time we were here was with my mom, my 2 kids and my niece. We still stayed in this hotel since the place makes us feel like a comfort zone. Everybody had a great time here as far as the Kiddos brought with them their gadgets, no problem being connected with the internet. Everything was easy access here because this hotel is just located at the heart of Tagbilaran City. Thanks Metrocentre. Hope to be back before the 2012 ends :-)..

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Dzehan M
Dear Ms. Dzehan M,

We deeply express our gratitude for your time in putting a review on us. This only manifest our well-trained personnel and accommodation facility that best suit the expectations of our valued guests. Be it known that your kindest words will surely reach my hotel staff. We will welcome you with an open arms and serve you gladly the next time you visit soon!

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Metrocentre Is the biggest hotel of tagbilaran city. Location is perfect. I think it's time for the hotel to do some renovations to revive its previous glory. Guest can use the pool, game room and gym for free. Room & Toilet comes with simple decor but clean and no foul smell. They also provide free breakfast and complimentary airport transfers. Room rate during my stay last May is around P1,500.00 so nothing to complain about. But they recently increase there rate to p2,100.00 last July, I think it is quite expensive for its condition.

Room Tip: The actual room is not as inviting as it may seems as shown in there website.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dom094
MetroCentre_Hotel, Manager at MetroCentre Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Dom094,

My pleasant gesture of delight for your review on us. Motivated with the desire to offer genuine hospitality to guests we are opt on upgrading our hotel facilities to make sure your stay a truly satisfying and memorable one. All your suggestions are well-taken and we can't wait to serve you on your next vacation soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tagbilaran City
Ocean Suites Boutique Hotel Bohol
Ocean Suites Boutique Hotel Boho...
#1 of 11 in Tagbilaran City
The Bellevue Resort Bohol
The Bellevue Resort Bohol
#4 of 48 in Panglao Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,246 reviews

Been to MetroCentre Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!