“Good location, great value for money”
Review of Sun Avenue Pension

Sun Avenue Pension
Ranked #11 of 42 Tagbilaran City B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for 4 days. We got a triple room and two sets of double room. Rooms are clean and spacious. A/C working well, bathrooms are clean and not to mention room rate was affordable. Breakfast is also included in their rates even its just a pension house. Since it was no longer my first time to visit bohol, we didn't stay at Panglao island anymore, instead we took a day trip tour to bohol beach club for whole day beach bumming, and ff day, another Countryside tour, Danao tour adventure on the third and for final, Panglao tour (although we were originally planned for a dolphin watch but it was raining hard).

If you are budget traveler, and would seek going out for tours instead staying at the hotel for the rest of the day, i recommend this pension, location is convenient to the city and airport. Would definitely stay if ill be back again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Minet512
There are newer reviews for Sun Avenue Pension

Reviewed April 27, 2013

The hotel is just a few minutes tricycle ride from the Tagbilaran airport. I must say I'm impressed with this hotel. Staff are very nice and accommodating. The best part about this hotel is that it is near a lot of establishments may it be restaurant, church or mall.

The room is very clean. Although they say the wifi works only in the lobby, our room could still get signal from their wifi and it is fast. The comfort room is very clean as well- though I'd suggest that they change the toilet.

The food is amazing. They have many food choices and the cost is worth it as the food is delicious.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel for those who are budget conscious while they travel, may it be work or leisure activity.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank silentstar01
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I chose this hotel for a 1 night stay prior to catching a ferry from the port. It was ideal for that, being very close. If I had not had a big suitcase, I could have walked to the port. As I did, it was just a short and cheap tricycle ride. It is also close to the airport and only a shortish walk to the city centre/BQ Mall.
I did not spend a lot of time in the room but it was of adequate size, with the usual facilities – aircon, TV but no fridge/mini-bar. There is wifi in the public areas but not in the rooms. My shower only seemed to give cold water – not sure if that is always the case or whether it depends on the time of day, as sometimes happens.
I found the restaurant better than average for an inexpensive hotel. The free breakfast was small but at least there was some allowance for non-filipinos – I had scrambled egg and toast.
I would use the hotel again if I wanted to be near the port or city centre.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My family (consisting of 12 adults) was on vacation in the Philippines from US and Canada. We didn't have a hotel booked for our last night in Bohol and were just planning to check out a few places in the city by walk-in. Fortunately, the driver of the van we had chartered for the day, recommended Sun Avenue Tourist Inn to us, since it was super-close to the pier, where we would be taking the ferry back to Cebu the next morning.

We were very pleasantly surprised to find it clean and well-decorated inside. Everything (from the floors to the linens) looked new or well-maintained, and there were lots of art pieces all around that added charm and personality to the place!

The night concierge, Joseph, was very friendly, accommodating, and helpful! He took us around the inn to show us the different types of rooms before we decided to stay there. Joseph also mentioned to us that Sun Avenue guests would be entitled to a discount at Sparadise (their spa).

My husband and I took advantage of the awesome deal at the spa and both got foot spas. I had never tried a foot spa before, but now that I've experienced it at Sparadise, I definitely want to get it done again after such a relaxing time there. They really pampered us!

The room rate included a free breakfast in their cafe the next morning, consisting of 2 pieces of native longganisa, 1 egg (sunny side up or scrambled), and steamed rice. It was a simple breakfast, but delicious and quite filling.

Towel animals lay on top of the beds, welcoming us into our rooms. There was cable TV and air conditioning in the rooms, and free wi-fi access from their cafe.

The next day, we just took tricycles to the pier, which was only about 5 minutes away. So conveniently close!

We really enjoyed our stay at Sun Avenue and would highly recommend it to others! Special thanks to Joseph, who helped to make our stay such a comfortable one!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bnpgirl
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I picked Sun Avenue as our last stop in Bohol.

We had spent two days at Lost Horizons and we stayed one night in Tagbilaran to see the city, shop for souvenirs and see what else Bohol had to offer.

We were not disappointed with Sun Avenue. The booking was easy via email communication with Jess, and deposit via their bank account. The hotel is ideally located in the pier area of Tagbilaran.

Its waling distance from the BQ mall, where we bought our Peanut Kisses (P140 for pack of 16 vs P160 at the souvenir shops). Its also a short trike ride from the Main church, passenger pier, and airport. We spent the night walking the pier taking sunset pictures, ate at STK (local sinugba restaurant with great food), went to the fish market in the morning, went souvenir shopping before heading for our flights. Everything is a short walk or a P10 each trike ride away.

Th Bed and Breakfast Inn has a great personality, good ambience, cold aircon rooms, firm mattresses, decent hot and cold shower, tiny bathrooms, and friendly staff. There is a restaurant and coffee shop inside the premises, and lots of small convenince stores outside for other drinks and snacks. It has a TV with cable, which the kids enjoyed, while we went shopping.

From my past travells souvenirs at the local market were usually cheaper and thats why we stay the last night at the city. But in Bohol, the souvenirs were cheaper in at the tourist sites. Buy your souvenirs at Blood Compact or Coral Museum (Keychains/necklaces/bracelets) or Hinagdanan caves (tshirts/key chains). If you didn't bring money during the tour, you can go back from the city, we paid P200 for a trike to take us back to hinagdanan for souvenir shopping before our flight.

Sun Avenue is a typical pinoy Bed and Breakfast, no fancy frills, just a convenient stay, an ideal jumping point to see the rest of the city.

Cons: the bathrooms are small and a bit mouldy, but we survived. and no pool, which the kids would have loved.

For the price we paid: P6500 for 4 rooms for 17 people, with breakfast (the longaisa is very good). The coffee is also very nice at the inn. You can't beat value for money.

Tip: take the 2nd floor rooms as they have windows, decent sunset view over the pakring lot at the back. the lower ground rooms are a bit stuffy for me, no windows and musty air as no real ventilation in the hall way. we asked to be moved to the 2nd floor rooms and were acoomidated without issues.

Room Tip: Take the 2nd floor rooms, as they have a window and a decent sunset view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KingBee32
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I checked in on 8 September as I transferred from a cheaper which initially wowed but lost the charm on my succeeding days. I did not expected so much from this hotel since therefore some negative reviews. I thought this was a better place than before and I also want to confirm the reviews so I can recommend to friends when they come to Tagbilaran. I was looking for single accomodation room since I was alone, with windows since I tend to get claustrophobic. I was given room 15 at the 3rd floor. The room is pretty basic, single bed, cable tv, air con. I learned that the hotel is already 5 years old and yet it looks very much like new. It's clean and well maintained. They have a nice terrace overlooking the bohol strait and the tagbilaran wharf which is nice to behold particularly in the morning where you breath fresh morning air. Well, as for the breakfast I had bacon, scrambled egg and coffee incidentally my perfect breakfast combination. Also, on my first day the security guard was very helpful by helping me to fetch a tricycle going to the ci center. And the dining staff was also very courteous, polite and fast. That is something that stucked to me, customer service. The only downside is, the women at the front desk though, although smiling was somewhat gloomy and were sitting down talking to guest, which I find very impolite, as if they don't bother. But generally,my stay was good enough. By the way, my basic single bed room is only 795 pesos with free breakfast. There are other bigger rooms with complete facilities good for family or groups and the penthouse rooms have a patio with view of the bay. Next time I come back I will try this rooms with my family.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We were a family of 4 adults, 2 children and 1 baby. We stayed there for 3 days and 2 nights.

Breakfast was the same for all days, nevertheless it was still good. The room is so clean and well maintained. We were able to connect thru free wifi also. This hotel is in a strategic location in bohol.

It was a very nice experience with Sun Avenue, we never had any problem with the service, especially for my babies. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We had a penthouse which is located on the 3rd floor. We got good overlooking views then.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family