“"Best Value & Comfort for your Money"”
Review of El Portal Inn

and 1 more site!
El Portal Inn
Mandaluyong, Philippines
“"Best Value & Comfort for your Money"”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

"Best Value & Comfort for your Money"
-one of their tagline in their site.

Indeed best value and comfort for a low-average cost. Very hospitable and nice staff. Helped us with everything from the time we arrived till we left the next morning. They even helped us find a church for our INC friends.

Very good wifi connection. Small rooms though. Bathrooms are very clean. Small CRT TV but lots of cable channels.

Easy to reserve a room. Just call the numbers on their site. They'll just contact you from time to time to confirm your reservation. Location-wise, everything is just a tricycle away even the seaport.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has a very good wifi connection. Not sure with the other floors
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ryeken

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mandaluyong, Philippines
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Decided to try El Portal Inn because of the good reviews I've read from Tripadvisor. I immediately checked their site and found that their rate is affordable. I chose double delulxe queen room for P 1,075. Made a reservation through email. We were greeted by a very friendly staff named Sai. All of their staff are nice, helpful and accommodating (including Mila who lend me their charger :). Though there's no complimentary breakfast, we ordered in their restaurant which is reasonably priced. Room is A-okay for the price - nice bed, aircon, tv, ref, hot/cold shower. Hotel is near the BQ mall and Tagbilaran airport - just a tricycle ride. They also provide assistance on countrysidde tour and panglao island tour. We'll definitely stay again in this hotel on our next visit to Bohol. Truly 'a value for money'.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank YCA898
Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Checked in July 24, 2013 and July 28, 2013.

Reservation: I reserved here because of the good reviews that I read here in tripadvisor. Just give them a call and they will reserve a room for you.

Location: We arrived in Tagbilaran at around 7:30pm. We rode a tricycle and I guess, most tricycles know the place. It's not hard to find actually.

Room: I reserved the room worth P1,075 ( i forgot the classification of the room) but since it was located near the road and my son said he still can hear the vehicles, we opted to get the room next to it. The room has 2 single beds, an aircon, a hot and cold shower and a television. And since the room is less than P1,000, you get what you paid for. We complained about the aircon and they immediately changed it. Yes, they changed the aircon instead of transferring us to another room. :) It would also be better if the blankets were a little bit thicker. On our second stay, we got the family room. Bigger room with bigger beds. Aside from the addition of a small ref, its basically the same as the 2 single bed room that we had at first.

Breakfast: It is not included in their quoted rate but there is a bakery near the place. Try their pandesal. It's made up of malunggay.

Assistance: They assisted us in our countryside tour. Also, they have good staff. They smile all the time and they even offer assistance to you.

Overall: Though I wasnt able to sleep well due to the hard pillows and thin blankets,i still find the place ok.

Room Tip: Better get the rooms without windows unless you can sleep with the sound of tricycles
3 Thank odycua
Manila, Manila, Philippines
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Reservation:
Asking about rooms and tours is quick and easy. Emails are replied to within 24 hours, and no reservation fee is asked. I reserved so many months in advance (we stayed there this week, but I made a reservation around Sept. last year), and I was given reminders a month and a week before our scheduled arrival. Changes about fees I might encounter during tours were also emailed to me.

Transfers:
When we checked in at NAIA T4, we were told that the flight will be delayed by an hour. I sent a msg. to the front desk to notify them, but it turned out that the flight is only delayed by half an hour. I again sent them a msg., and they quickly sent a van to pick us up. That very van brought us to the airport at the time we specified, so we won't be late for our flight back to Manila.

Reception:
The staff was very warm and all smiles. They were polite and cheery in assisting us. They also gave us details about the tours and asked about preferences. Any question we had were answered courteously. Even the security guard is friendly and eager to help.

Room:
I reserved a double deluxe queen room (rm. 7), and it was clean and relatively spacious. There was a cable TV, a big cabinet, a ref, aircon, and a fan. The heater was working well, so our showers had been relaxing. There were two towels, a glass, and soap, and there's also a socket for hair dryers. The bed was big and comfortable. It wasn't totally soft, but it made my sleep generally undisturbed. Our room had a window, although it wasn't possible to open it. The noise from passing tricycles could be heard in the room, but since they rarely passed by at night, it wasn't really a problem. WiFi was accessible in our room, although there were times, specifically in the early morning, when the signal was weak.

Food:
We only had breakfast in the hotel. My mom thought it was a bit pricey, but it was nevertheless good and filling. I had french toast with banana and mango juice while my mom had two-egg ham and cheese omelet with mango and coffee.

Tour:
The tours were quite affordable, but it would probably be cheaper if you get the max. people allowed for a type of vehicle and then divide the expense between all of you. The car we got can accommodate up to 4 people, but there were only two of us. Our driver was knowledgeable, though, and was the first to suggest taking photos in the various spots we visited. He would also talk with us about general stuff and was open to our suggestions and questions.

Conclusion:
I felt like our two-night stay was too short. That's why I'm planning to visit Bohol again sometime in the future. Without doubt, I'll choose El Portal Inn again for that next trip. :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Raitei044
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed July 7, 2013

i chose el portal inn because of the good reviews from tripadvisor...i wasn't disappointed.

my family traveled ahead of me by one day and they were assisted by friendly staff. since i was the one paying for everything, i arranged that payment will be made when i check in. my request was properly noted and my family wasn't asked to pay anything when they checked -in. much gratitude to the owner, Mr Gallardo, for this!

they also arranged for our tours and the tour cost is really reasonable. our driver was very helpful and patient in taking our pictures and he even gives us tips when buying things/souvenirs so that we get the cheapest price.

el portal inn is near the airport and other malls/shops. the staff are very helpful in giving us directions and getting us tricycle anywhere we want to go. the staff are courteous and would always give a friendly greeting when they see you.

i would definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends!

Vallejo, California
Reviewed May 30, 2013

2nd times a charm with El Portal.
Once again, I didn't experience any hiccups or negative vibes. Staff is very helpful and they do make you feel like your part of the family.
Room, once again, was clean. Air-con wasn't needed, although we know it blows cold (in case for those who complain how hot it is in Philippines).
Its location is close to everything. I Love walking, so things were that far for me. It is easy to catch a trike, if needed.

My sleeps were undisturbed and deep.
A great place to unwind from a very very long trip.

El Portal does it again. Worth coming back to.

-Much Love-

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marcel t
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The last time I was here was five years ago and it was as good as I remembered it then. The place is clean and everything works well (AC and water heater). They assisted us in getting a van for our tour and they also assisted on getting out laundry done on time. Their is a free ride to and from the airport/pier/terminal if you stay for at least two nights. I love their breakfast too although it is not part of what you pay for the room.

Our room (8) has no window so it can be very dark. My roommate commented that it is like staying in a cave :-).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends