“Theft at Hotel within 2 Hours of Arrival!!!”

OPO Hotel Porto Aeroporto
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Maia
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have just arrived to Canada from my vacation in Portugal & must say that I feel absolutely shocked & devastated that my valuable possessions were stolen from me in the blink of an eye. YES! I left my hotel room #226 to have dinner with my family & upon my arrival to my room only found that my iPad, iPhone & camera had all been stolen. The patio door was locked & the room door was locked upon leaving, but how can this have occurred? Being reassured that there are no duplicate room card keys out there & that they only have 1 person working in the whole hotel after 4:00 pm. That's all a joke as I soon found out that the entrance door to my hotel room could be opened without the room card by simply turning the handle & pushing the door open. Now tell me how anyone should feel about staying a night in a place without security. The police were notified & I did not hesitate to take my 2 young children with me to another abode. I feel so violated & sick to my stomach in knowing that I will never get back the memories that I have saved on my camera from the photos I took of Portugal. A horrible ending to my holidays & I am WARNING ALL to please be aware. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!
Be careful & always double check for your security.

Room Tip: Stay away! It is a ghost town!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Natasha N

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Spent a lot of time in this hotel through the summer on business (usually staying in the suite)

First off its in an ideal location for the airport, could not ask for closer, 5 minute walk to the terminal. You have the choice of two metro stations (Airport & Botica) which are very close as well which can take you to Matosinhos/Porto.

The majority of the staff are helpful and nice.

However a lot of rooms have water damage on the bathroom doors as the shower floods very easily. Cracks on the walls were a common site as well.

The cleaners are very noisy & entered the room even though I had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door waking me up, which is unpleasant as I was working nightshift.

Construction site next door which is very noisy as well.

The continental breakfast is a joke & has to be one of the worst on my travels. Flies were a common site on the food.

Wifi is available at reception, would of preferred if it was available in my room.

Perfect if you have an early flight in the morning, however I would avoid if staying any longer.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank elliotweir
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Very close to the airport, offer a shuttle services, rooms are large & clean but with not many options of dining or sightseeing around. The metro station is about 5 minutes away. If you are coming from the city you better use the metro stop before the airport. You just cross the street and keep walking till the petrol station then you see the hotel sign (in the left side of the street). Overall I recommend it for early flights

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 1, 2013

large room, clean and nicely equipped, large bathroom with jacuzzi for €35.10 on line !!! can't do wrong and it was a good sleep.
good location if you have an early fly departing or a late fly arriving. 10 minutes walk or a bus available 4 minutes to airport
departing from the hotel 1 bus every hour from 4.25am
no restaurant but lot of choice within short distance.
Still not sure if it is a 4 stars or 3 stars, depending where you look in the hotel you have different grade, strange
I would definitely go back and would recommend it.

Room Tip: rooms at first floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Yes very close to the airport about 200 metres. Exit airport turn right go straight on for about 100. Metres turn left and straight on. There is a petrol station opposite the hotel entrance. There are cobblestones which may create problems for some.

The hotel appeared quiet desolate. Most probably because it was late January. I arrived at about 11pm and had a 7.30am flight to catch. There appeared to be nowhere to eat so I just purchased a bottle of water from the reception and went to my room.

The room was very large and basic. The water was unfortunately cold, but due to tiredness I just put up.

Unfortunately the water was no warmer the following morning. The only real plus for the hotel was that it took 5 minutes from leaving the hotel to entering the airport. I would stay there again just for the convenient location. Just do not expect too much from this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This is a very convenient airport hotel, only a 10 minute walk from the airport, although a shuttle bus costing €3 is available at certain times of the morning.
A simple continental breakfast is available from 4am, great for early flights. The breakfast had a small selection of cereals, hams, cheese, yoghurts, bread and pastries, with coffee and cordial (not fresh) orange juice.
The facilities are very basic, but the rooms are of a good size, clean, have a hair dryer for the girls, and are generally quiet. Wifi is only available in the public areas, not in the rooms.
There are no facilities in the area, I.e. shops/supermarkets, but this is a useful airport hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank jetstreamaviator
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We are not Americans but our Visa credit card was issued in the USA. We have been making reservations and staying at hotels all over the world without any single problem. Till the day we tried o book this hotel for one night in order to be close to the airport due to an early depart flight.

I went to their site, gave all credit card details (number, expiration date and 3 digits security code on the back of the card). The website went to another page asking for the 4 last digits of my social security number. I don't have one. The reservation was refused. I called Visa in the USA and they told me that there was no problem with my card, that I should call the hotel directly.

I sent an email to the hotel and got a reply that "nothing could be done". I could not believe that I usually stay at Hilton NYC, Hilton Lyon, Hilton Pittsburg, Hilton Quebec, etc and my card is accepted (paying + 200 usd / night) and that I could not make a reservation to stay at a hotel that cost less than 50 Euros / night at the city of Porto in Portugal!!! If only could be some kind of joke!!

So.... I sent another email, to the "general manager" of the copy responsible for this hotel and never got a reply!!

Thanks Lord, because of this fact, we did not stay at Hotel Pedras Rubras Porto Aeroporto and we stayed at the wonderful Hotel Park Porto Aeroporto.

You can read my review about Hotel Park Porto Aeroporto and you will be able to stay at a much better place and with a friendly staff.

Hotel Pedras Rubras has NO CLUE of how to run a business.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cecilia T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maia
Park Hotel Porto Aeroporto
Hotel Via Norte
Hotel Via Norte
#5 of 5 in Maia
Holiday Inn Express Porto-Exponor
Holiday Inn Express Porto-Expono...
#1 of 1 in Leca da Palmeira

Been to OPO Hotel Porto Aeroporto? Share your experiences!