“Hit and Miss” 3 of 5 bubbles

Seashore Beach Resort
Doha
“Hit and Miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

The standard of the rooms varies greatly from room to room, but you pay the same price for all, so it's hit and miss if you get a decent one or not.

It was fairly cheap, very basic accommodation. The beds were more comfortable than I'd expected, the standard of cleanliness was good, and the service was good. It is a real no-frills resort, but it's ok for the money you pay. We were unfortunate in having the rooms that had no garden or view, just looked straight at the back of other bungalows, and particularly small bathrooms but other rooms are better. The noise was very annoying though, the kitchen seemed to go all hours, and it was quite noisy. The hawkers coming around the bungalows selling their wares nearly drove me crazy.

Breakfast was simple, the standard of food was average, but very very cheap so I can't complain too much.

The location is ok - far enough away from the seediness of Sabang, which really is an awful place.

If you're looking for budget accommodation in Sabang this is quite a good place to stay.

• Stayed November 2010
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank dohadiverdiva

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2009

My trip to Sabang Beach was on the spur of the moment. I had no reservations. I had canceled my trip but found out. I could go at the last moment. I was just winging it on this trip. Make sure you take the boat to Sabang Beach and not to Puerto Galera.

I traveled from Manila to Batangas Terminal with a friend in his van. Besides some traffic congestion due to road construction. This was a easy trip and a good highway. I suggest you let a Filipino do the driving. It is combat driving even on the highways in the Philippines. I saw plenty of passing on the shoulder. I am use to driving in Los Angeles. Which is like a walk in the park compared to Philippine traffic. There are few traffic laws obeyed there. Who has the biggest vehicle and loudest horn has the right away.

I was not happy with the Batangas Terminal. The luggage porters are nothing more than hustlers. Trying to squeeze tips out of you for everything and you will have more porters than you need. All pressing you for tips. Our group had a large amount of luggage over 8 suitcases. I suggest you travel light and able to handle your own luggage. On the return trip we had learned our lesson and chased all the porters away except for 2 and a cart.

The porters rushed us to the various stations to pay fees and tickets. Wanting tips at each stop. Luckily we had a lot of small 20 peso bills. The schedule had a boat leaving in 15 minutes and I wanted to catch that boat. So I could get to Sabang Beach during daylight. So we let the porters rush us around. It was a wasted effort. We were put on the next boat and waited for 1 1/2 hours for departure.

This is a 1 hour boat ride. If you are prone to sea sickness. I strongly suggest you take medication prior to departure. The last half of our boat ride we hit bad weather. The crew was handing out life jackets to the non-swimmers. It was obvious to me. This was routine and the crew was comfortable with the conditions. So I was not alarmed. Some of the boat crew were a bit rude.

We arrived in the dark and we were very tired. I had wanted to stay at a hotel at nearby Little Laguna or Big Laguna beaches. Away from the night life of Sabang Beach. Since we did not have reservations and we were so tired. We elected to stay 1 night in Sabang Beach and move the next day.

There were numerous represatives of hotels on the beach. We choose one, Seashore Lodge and Restaurant. I remembered it from my Internet searches. As one of the few places with kitchens. Again we had a army of luggage porters to haul our luggage.

We were tired and burned out from travel. As soon as we checked into Seashore Lodge. Everything changed from being stressful to being peaceful and relaxing. That is when the vacation started. We liked Seashore Lodge so much. That we stayed there for our entire vacation in Sabang Beach.

Seashore Lodge is a bunch of spacious cottages with kitchens and patio with furniture. Ours was very clean and the air conditioner worked good. Plenty of hot water for showers. Most beds in Filipino hotels are foam mattresses. This was the same. This is not a 5 star resort. It is basic clean quiet cottages with kitchens. It was charming I thought. Although we had not planned on cooking during this trip. Our Filipino friends cooked some great meals. There are vendors bringing fresh crab, lobsters and prawns by every morning. The prawns were great. The lobsters I considered undersized and passed on them. First time I ate mud crabs and I was not fond of it. I am to spoiled with King Crab state side. They also brought by fresh fruit every morning and frozen mango juice and coconut milk.

Seashore Lodge is far enough away from the nightlife to get a good nights sleep. It only takes a couple of minutes to walk to the nightlife of Sabang beach. I consider the location of Seashore Lodge just about perfect for Sabang Beach. Seashore Lodge is a family operated business. The wife Nancy runs the hotel and restaurant. She is a sweetheart and was very helpful. Juan her husband was the boat driver on the snorkeling tour. Who is a really pleasant guy.

Although my buddy and me were scuba divers. We elected to just snorkel with our friends on this trip. We did not bother with snorkeling in Sabang Beach, to many boats. Seashore Lodge arranged for a snorkeling tour and barbeque lunch for us. There were 2 boats that followed us to the snorkeling area. I later found out they were there to pull us around the reef. While we hung onto their outriggers. The other members of my party enjoyed this very much. I would have prefered to just snorkel on my own. They charged us 200 pesos per person. To be towed around the reef. Some of my members were weak swimmers and wore life jackets, while snorkeling. This method of being towed around the reef was very beneficial to them and they really enjoyed it.

I am not fond of restaurants in the Philippines in general. The best meals there were always cooked by my friends. I was surprised that most of the restaurants in Sabang Beach made excellent french fries. Most Filipino restaurants do not cook potatoes very well. Rice is their stable.

The town of Sabang Beach is geared for scuba diving. There are many dive operators and dive shops there. I wanted to just rent gear, but they lean more towards dive tours with a guide. Since most of the people in my group. Where none divers we passed on the scuba diving.

We had a very pleasant stay at Seashore Lodge and restaurant. It you are looked for the best bang for your buck. Seashore Lodge is a very good value. It is clean, quiet, safe and charming. If you are looking for a plush high priced 5 star resort. You need to look elsewhere. If I ever return to Sabang Beach. I will be staying at the Seashore Lodge. Check out my photos and you will see why.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank TwilightDancer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sabang
Montani Beach Resort
#16 of 51 in Puerto Galera
Capt'n Gregg's Accommodation
Capt'n Gregg's Accommodation
#7 of 52 in Puerto Galera

Been to Seashore Beach Resort? Share your experiences!