“Good, but not great.”

Belmond Las Casitas
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Yanque
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had an okay stay at Las Casitas. We had our own hot tub and little villa. But, the restaurant was dark and "interesting" and there were not many guests. We did love the activities that they offered though such as baby llama and alpaca feeding!

Room Tip: The villas closer to the restaurant are easier to get to at night,
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
QAM-LCDC, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Belmond Las Casitas, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Guest:

Receive a warm greeting on behalf of the entire team at Hotel Las Casitas del Colca.
We appreciate the time you have taken to share your opinion with us.

It is a pleasure for us that you have enjoyed the facilities we offered at your casita and the activities you did during your stay. However, we regret the wrong image you had about the restaurant. On october, starts our low season and that's why you won't found many guests.

On the other hand, we want to welcome you for your comments which encourage us to continue working every day to provide excellent service to our guests, looking for their satisfaction.

Quality Assurance Manager

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I just returned from a visit to the Colca Canyon area and was so pleased to have found Las Casitas del Colca to make my stay extra special. This was my third visit to Peru and I wanted an upscale hotel where I could have luxury after full days of hiking the canyon and other excursions. I was also traveling solo as my husband had to stay in Lima as he was playing in a golf tournament and I wanted a smaller hotel That would cater to private tours and make me feel comfortable. I arranged for my stay direct with the hotel staff (Maria and Jorge) and told them what I was looking to accomplish as far as activities. They sent me a suggested itinerary of a full day hike of the canyon, followed by a half day hike of the Yanque area and Kallawas and Inca ruins and then on the final day a three hour horseback riding tour. In addition, they scheduled me at the spa for two different massages after my hikes as well as for some of their inclusive activities of the cooking and pisco sour class, the feeding of the baby alpaca and a tour of their amazing vegetable garden. Jorge was my private guide and took very good care of me! The hotel is a true oasis and my casita was spectacular. The chef even made a special gluten free menu for me each day so that my dietary restrictions were met. Although the hotel is expensive, it was worth every penny! I will remember this visit for many years to come and would have no hesitation about referring the hotel to others. The restaurant staff was also wonderful as were the people at the front desk. The one and only complaint I had was they failed to inform me when I arrived in Yanque that all tourists were charged a $70 soles fee for tourism. I did not have soles and the us exchange was way below the Lima exchange. Minor thing and had no impact on my overall opinion. I do recommend people not used to very high altitude consult a doctor about taking a high altitude meds to assist and lessen the high altitude impact.

Room Tip: I chose a deluxe room which was all the way at the bottom the furthest from the main lobby. View an...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
QAM-LCDC, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Belmond Las Casitas, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Guest:

On behalf of the entire team of the Hotel Las Casitas del Colca receive a warm greeting and our welcome for the time you took to share your opinion with us and describe all the activities you followed during your stay.

It is a pleasure for us that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and know that all the activities and services prepared for you, have been achieved our main objective: Your satisfaction.
However, we really regret have had forgot to give you the information about the tourist ticket.

Your feedback and comments helps us to identify our weaknesses and work harder in order to give our guests the best service before, during and after their stay.

If you have any additional suggestion or comment, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Operations & Quality Assurance Manager

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Plus:
• Great location, very relaxing and in harmony with nature, wonderful view on the river
• There are also 2 small trout ponds with 2 ducks
• Wonderful villas, very well decorated and furnished
• The garden is amazing and flowers are so beautiful I recommend to have a tour of the property
• Amazing experience to feed the baby lamas (which were more juvenile than babies but still very cute)
Minus:
• Poor service: although people are very nice and friendly (all around Peru) they are not prepared to high level standards of international and luxury hospitality. They also barely understand English and do not speak it at all. This caused us more than one misunderstanding. The lack of preparation also caused other problems: the waiters have been taught not to leave water bottle on guest’s table so our glass of water were always empty and my boyfriend had to stand and catch the water more than once. I would suggest to leave the water on the table if you are not able to manage a high level service (and we were the only guest at the hotel!). Not counting the mistake of the waiter refilling still water into my boyfriend glass (who drink sparkling water) and sparkling to me (I drink still water).
• Average Peruvian food: trout carpaccio and meat carpaccio were good and same for basic ones like salads but the more elaborate plates are not good
• The lunch box is a steal for its poor content and high price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
QAM-LCDC, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Belmond Las Casitas, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Guest:

On behalf of the Hotel Las Casitas del Colca receive our kindest regards and welcome for the comments you have shared.

We regret having given you the wrong picture of our service quality and training of our staff, we are taking into account your opinion to take corrective measures, if necessary, and to ensure that each of our guests leave the hotel satisfied with the infraestructure, activities and our service from the start to the end of their stay
Still, it's gratifying to know that beyond the shortcomings that you found, you have enjoyed your stay.

We value your comments which encourage us to keep working every day to our guests.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The "Casitas" are little houses - built at low level in Colca Canyon; the more you pay, the better the view. Published deluxe room rates are equivalent to top hotel prices in London, New York etc. which for Peru is "OTT". However, "rooms" are enormous and beautiful - ours with a large bathroom with oval sunken bath and shower, an outside shower etc. Bedroom had a large bed with beautiful bed linen; a live fire-place and sitting area. Outside, a private terrace with views, a plunge pool and a private piece of garden. The grounds are lovely - terraced. There is a farm on-site where 80% of the vegetables are grown; eggs are produced and guinea pigs are reared for one of Peru's important dishes. Baby llamas and alpacas can be bottle fed. There is a very large spa and swimming pool. The main hotel building with restaurant etc is a little soulless but has a terrace where you can eat breakfast and lunch, hot sun allowing. Food was disappointing. Breakfast one morning was chaotic, not very good quality and late (most people on their first full day need to be having breakfast at 0630 for the trip to view the Condors). Other food was too variable; some dishes delicious; others really rather poor.
Wine list prices were silly as are the costs of laundry ($9usd) for a shirt and other services.

This is a lovely hotel in a beautiful landscape with delightful rooms; average, variable and over-complicated food and high prices. Service from all the staff was 5*.

Room Tip: The more you pay; the better the view... Since it is expensive anyway, a preferential view room is p...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
QAM-LCDC, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Belmond Las Casitas, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Guest:

Receive a warm greeting on behalf of the entire team of the Hotel Las Casitas del Colca. We appreciate the time you spent to share your comments with us.

We really regret that on your first morning the breakfast service wasn't as quick and good as you expected.
We also consider your opinion regarding the food and the wine in order to take the necessary measures to improve in every aspect mentioned.

Your feedback helps us to identify our weaknesses and work harder to achieve our main goal that is the satisfaction of our guests and even overcome by providing the best service in each of the areas of the hotel as well as from the beginning to the end of your stay.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed there from 1 until 4 March. There are +/- 20 Casitas, and we were literally the only guests in the hotel for the whole of our 3 day stay. The rooms and the food in the restaurant are both top class, and the staff in the restaurant delightful although the service was extremely slow considering we were the only guests to serve. The rest of the staff were rather dozy and extremely unhelpful in volunteering information as to what there is to see in the area, which is considerable, in addition to seeing the condors at Cruz del Condor; we managed to find a lot of villages, walks and thermal baths nearby, alongside the Colca river, but only because we used our own initiative. There is absolutely no guidance on the local sites in the room which is ridiculous considering the arm and a leg one is paying, which is +/- £500 per night, including meals but excluding trips and alcohol. I suggested to the staff at reception that they should beef this up, which they apparently plan to do
NBC, London

Room Tip: If you suffer from altitude sickness, you should ask for a room near the recption, bar and dining ro...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
QAM-LCDC, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Belmond Las Casitas, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Guest:

On behalf of the entire team of the Hotel Las Casitas del Colca receive a warm greeting and our welcome for the time you spent to share your comments with us.

We regret not having achieved our objectives and hadn't met your expectations, giving a misleading picture of our work and our company.
We are taking into account the errors they did make your stay with us has been dissapointing, to thereby resolve those deficiencies.

Your feedback encourages us to keep working every day to provide excellent service to each of our guests, seeking their satisfaction and stay memorable.

We can assure you that our staff is committed to improving every aspect mentioned.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I´ve been in many different hotels around the world and there are no words that can fairly describe Las Casitas del Colca. The mixture of luxury, beauty, nature, cordiality, comfort, coziness, peace, pleasure, care and attention that I received is just incredible.
The service was by far much better than I expected, they really made me feel like a king! I have never been treated like that before, not even in several luxurious hotels in Europe nor the Caribbean.
When I got to my little house I was amazed by its beauty, elegance and luxury, it was majestic! I was sitting in my hot tub at night, watching the stars surrounded by nature and listening to the delicate wind. It was like poesy made true! I wanted to stay for ever, but dreams don´t last forever, so i promised myself that I will be back, I must be back!
There where also many native animals like lamas, guinea pigs, cute little goats and a funny and out of time adult peacock. The where also several orchards with so great tasted vegetables and exquisite fruits. Fresher impossible! That reminds me of the delicious trout that i fished in the lagoon. The horse ride was also fabulous.
If someone would have asked me, to imagine such as immaculate place, it would't be even close to this! What i liked the least is that I had to go back home! I believe that trip advisor should create a sixth star so that I could sincerely rate it.

Room Tip: My little house was perfect, but i was shown the presidential house and it blew my mind away!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jackjohnes
QAM-LCDC, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Belmond Las Casitas, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Guest:

On behalf of the Hotel Las Casitas del Colca receive our kindest regards and welcome for the comments you have shared with us.

We are glad to hear that your stay in our hotel has met your expectations and that both services and infrastructure Hotel have achieved our main objective: YOUR SATISFACTION; providing you the best service from the beginning to the end of your stay.

We value your comments, which encourage us to keep working every day to improve our service.

We hope you can come back to Las Casitas del Colca as you said on a soon future.

Fron Desk & Quality Assurance Manager

Reviewed February 12, 2013

It is no longer operated by Orient Express, but the staff were extremely courteous, friendly and helpful. The place was almost empty when I stayed in January, but it was exquisite, with a fine attention to detail, and just everything you could ask for. The casitas themselves are beautiful and it is set in delightful grounds with its own organic farm on site. Pisco sour and cooking classes included in the evening, and a host of other activities provided if you want them (some free; some charged for). Not cheap, but strongly recommended: a great experience and in a beautiful valley.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have better views than others - but they are all tremendous.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
QAM-LCDC, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Belmond Las Casitas, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear Guest:

On behalf of the entire team of the Hotel Las Casitas del Colca receive a warm greeting and our welcome for the time you took to share your opinion with us.

It is a pleasure for us that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and know that all accomodations and services we offer have been achieved our main objective: Your satisfaction.
This is the greatest reward for the work of each of our employees.

Your opinion encourage us to continue working every day to provide excellent service looking for make a memorable stay to our guest.

If you have any suggestion or comment, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Quality Assurance & Front DesK Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yanque
Colca Lodge Spa & Hot Springs - Hotel
Casa Andina Standard Colca
Hotel El Refugio
Hotel El Refugio
#9 of 15 in Colca Canyon

Been to Belmond Las Casitas? Share your experiences!