All reviewscolca valleyhot springshour hikeguided walktwo nightsuyu uyunight tourquinoaon site restaurantcruz del condorstayed longersmall townprivate tourcomfortable roomssurrounding mountainsbeautiful locationpisco sours
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Friendly staff, great food, great location and a good price. Highly recommended.

Guillermo is the best host you can imagine. The rooms are impeccable and very comfortable! They arrange a pick up from puno, a colca excursion and drop you off in arequipa

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bart V
Reviewed January 6, 2013

If you're lucky on your trip to Colca Canyon, as we were, then you will see condors as part of your visit. But regardless of your fortune on that aspect of the trip, Killawasi is a great place to spend a day or two. The lodge is very comfortable, the location is beautiful, the food is good and the hosts were fantastic. You will receive a very warm welcome, and caring stay, at this lodge ... so go if you can.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BillLA1
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The people that run the lodge are awesome! And the food is good. It's in a beautiful, quiet village, very peaceful.

We were on a tour of Colca Canyon, which we booked through Killawasi. I forget the name of the tour company, but if I went again, regardless of the company I would skip any organized lunches at the "touristic" restaurants in Chivay, which are expensive and not that great. The lodge's restaurant was great! Wait to eat there instead if you can!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank L M
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We spent 1 night here during our visit to the Colca Canyon. The hotel arranged the tour for us and included pick up and drop off from Arequipa. We found it to be very good value. The tour company that they use is Colonial which is a big company. The buses fit a maxium of 14 people. It can be a bit cramped in a bus all day but they do a good job explaining the area and there were adequate stops.

Unfortunately I got very sick with high altitude when I was there (as we ascended to 15K feet in elevation) and could not partake in the hike offered by Killawasi but my spouse did and said it was quite strenuous. The hostess at the lodge was very hospitable and offered my spouse room service since I was too ill to leave the room and could not eat at all. Also, in the morning I still was not feeling well and she said I had to option to not go to Colca Canyon and they would pick me up for the return drive to Arequipa.

Breakfast is also included in the rate and there is complimentary bottled water in the room.

The room we had was clean and functional and very good value for your money. Just be aware if you are travelling to this area that if you have altitude issues, prepare to bring your own remedies. I also asked if they had the high altitude pills for sale but unfortunately they did not.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We dithered over where to stay in Colca Canyon, but Killawasi Lodge proved to be an excellent choice. The owner, Guillermo, picked us up from Chivay, having previously made our travel arrangements to the canyon, made a few suggestions of local trips we could make and was, in general, very helpful. Rosemary too was an excellent hostess and took care of our every need.

Yanque is a small enough town to feel that it is largely untouched by the modern world, but easily with enough to do: within easy walking distance from Killawasi there is a fascinating church; interesting museum; walks alongside, or into the canyon; as well as the rope bridge across the canyon; and the highlight for us, the thermal pools (Go while the sun is still shining on the pools as it cools quickly). There are beautiful views over the Colca area from the upstairs rooms of Killawasi and the atmosphere in the lodge is calm and restful, reflecting the surroundings.

We ate delicious meals in the restaurant which, despite its small size, caters for every food preference and is happy to provide food at any time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple