“Great staff, rustic ambience, great food”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coporaque
La Casa De Mama Yacchi
Seattle, Washington
“Great staff, rustic ambience, great food”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here as part of the 4M/Guardino tour of Colca canyon. The hotel is slightly bare (or rustic), but quite comfortable. Rooms have hot water, and heater, and are spacious with comfortable beds. We had the best peruvian food while here (vegetarian too!). The view from the hotel looking into the valley is great! Downsides...about 10 minutes from Chivay by car. Not sure how you would get in and out if doing this on your own. But if you have a car/tour, this place is absolutely great!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here as part of a group trip and truly don't have very much to complain about. If you're looking for the Hilton you will undoubtedly be disappointed. Casa de Mama Yacchi is on the small side and had the feeling of being a true family-owned business. Unfortunately I was sick with a cold during my visit as well as battling the effects of high altitude, so I went straight to my room and didn't get the full "lodge experience" dinner. The rooms are on the small side but comfortable. If you want to describe it as "rustic" you can because there are exposed beams in the ceiling. My roommate commented that the decor appeared southwestern and reminded her of construction you would find in Arizona.

Here are my pointers: #1 Because the rooms are basic, don't expect a television. #2 Because I was sick with a cold, I completely missed the buffet dinner. I went to the front desk and requested a bowl of chicken noodle soup, which was delicious. They arranged the bowl on a tray and made it very easy for me to take it back to my room. #3 Several people in my group were affected by the altitude and requested oxygen. From secondhand account, I was told that the lodge wheeled a tank to him in his room. I believe you are allowed five minutes of oxygen free of charge, but I'm not sure. #4 There is a heating unit installed on the wall of the room. The downside is that you DO NOT have the ability to control it. The units are turned on at a specific time by management and are turned off by management around 5am the next morning from outside your room. #6 My roommate got sick and requested the heat be turned up. I burned up all night and in conjunction with the high altitude I couldn't sleep. Apparently other people in my group complained that their rooms were too hot as well and they also had a difficult time sleeping. #7 The lodge offers a traditional breakfast in the morning, so if you're not a fan of whole grains and quinoa you just may be disappointed. There's a round homemade bread served by the lodge that was slightly sweet and very delicious. I took a couple with me when I left.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to speak to management should your room be too hot or too cold. All adjustments...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank appetite4trvl
Milan, Italy
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We spent one night in this hotel in Coporaque, during our tour from Arequipa to Puno organized by the tour operator 4M Express. This hotel was a memorable experience: the best accomadion during our holiday in Perù! It si built with materials of the area, the food is made by typical cuisine. Our room was very comfortable, warm, with fantastic and soft bed clothing. We had private bathroom and hot water.There is a big common area with a fireplace where we had a rest after our journey through the Colca Canyon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was my first time in the Colca Valley so I requested a room with a view (booked through 4M) and got it. I loved everything about this hotel: the simple architecture yet with all modern comforts; the sunny garden with hammocks overlooking a stunning valley with snow capped mountains in the distance; the wonderful staff, and the delicious food served in the panoramic dining area. We loved the quiet location of the hotel, just on the outskirts of the little village of Coporaque with its lovely main square and the oldest colonial church in the valley. There are also nice walks in the surrounding area starting at the hotel. There are no phones, televisions nor internet yet we never missed them. I had some problems with altitude the first night and was given 10 minutes of oxygen which made all the difference. Only spent two nights at the hotel but would have gladly stayed a month!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view if available.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, Uk
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night as part of a tour group. Overall we were very pleased with it, and some of the best bits were:

Great lunchtime buffet, with barbequed chicken and alpaca;
Friendly staff, and some English speaking who could arrange taxis to Chivay;
Staff are helpful if someone is ill (quite common with altitude sickness there) and give toast or tea if asked;
Stunning scenery, and lots of footpaths around for walking in the countryside;
Nice, clean rooms and bathrooms;
Hammocks and pet llama outside

A small point which the hotel could easily change is that the key fobs are little dolls made from fabric. They looked old and dirty, and every time I touched them I wanted to wash my hands...then I heard someone at the breakfast table say just that!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Belgium
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was definitely the best stay of our entire trip. This is a great lodge in the Colca Canyon, with amazing views from its backyard. The room are very spacious and nicely furnished, the bathroom is clean and modern.

The staff is very friendly and dressed in local fashion. There's a BBQ on the terrace outside that they use at lunchtime; breakfast and dinner is a buffet with both Peruvian and international dishes. We loved eating there, in a common room by the fireplace with other travellers, it was an amazing experience. There are hammocks and lounge chairs in the garden, to relax and enjoy the view.

Oh, and there is a pet alpaca that roams around, which is quite fun!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed with family. Outside of Chivaye by about 8 kms which was nice. Adjacent to smaller not touristy village. Very good service. My wife and I went into Chivaye for dinner with our guide and our 3 boys remained behind. Staff made sure that the boys ate some dinner and took good csre of them. No internet which was a bonus. Really get away! Walk around the plaza in the nearby village. A feel of real Peru without the fake ladies with their fake smiles and fake llamas

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coporaque
Aranwa Pueblito Encantado del Colca
Hotel La Casa de mi Abuela
Hotel La Casa de mi Abuela
#11 of 100 in Arequipa
Casa Andina Standard Puno

Been to La Casa De Mama Yacchi? Share your experiences!