“Excellent food and service”
Review of Balbirnie House

Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We were recommended to the Bistro and called on chance that we might be able to get a table quite late on the Saturday evening, we were welcomed and a table found for us in the very busy restaurant. The food was excellent and very fairly priced and the service was both prompt and courteous. We had a superb evening and found the attitude of the staff delightful. So much so that we returned the following Monday and again experienced a first class meal.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian H
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Hello Ian, delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visits to The Balbirnie Bistro.

For all daily updates and photographs, competitions and offers, please do head on over and join The Balbirnie House Hotel Facebook page, we have more than 6,000 individuals who now receive Balbirnie’s Daily Updates, and exciting chat! This is now an accumulating historical archive of information, a celebration of life in and around Balbirnie. Our gratitude as always.

Twitter is now also very much an integral part of what we do, albeit somewhat more briefly stated than my TripAdvisor responses! I am myself on @BalbirnieHouse, our MC’s and Duty Managers are @DM_BALBIRNIE - All talking daily about what goes into our complex operations, as well as the generalities of how wonderful it is to work within the hotel sector. Out front and also from behind the scenes…

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our main web site. (We also list these on a monthly basis on Facebook.)

From the many lovely emails, presents, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news Guest Comment sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any legitimate complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. (If we have ever made an error, and it can sometimes happen, then we would always appreciate an opportunity to redeem your perspective. Mistakes are however quite rare, as any reader can see from the overview of our reviews!)

Most helpfully intended- we point out to all readers of TripAdvisor ‘reviews’, that these ‘reviews’ are never ever checked for factual accuracy. Furthermore, reviews are expressed subjectively and very much as personal opinions. We have had numerous comments over the course of time which are misleading and factually incorrect, and from correspondence with TripAdvisor, most unfortunately nothing can be done whatsoever to correct them. Additionally, as hoteliers we sometimes never know who the reviewer actually is, as ‘reviews’ are incognito.

We’re accustomed these days for accepting TripAdvisor for what it is, and we hope that our comments and replies bring some joy somewhere.

Dear Readers, anyone new to TripAdvisor, and thinking of 'reviewing' any premises- please do ensure that you are factually correct in all you say, because if you aren't, then you are exposed to potential legal action, in the form of libel for written defamation. My comment is most helpfully intended. This also works both ways, as responses must equate too!

There is a most helpful article about TripAdvisor in The Telegraph newspaper, please google it under the search term 'TripAdvisor is Democracy for the Stupid'. That search term singles out a small element of reviewers, and is obviously irrelevant in the context of the great proportion of those common sense reviewers who post the great proportion of well-intended and factual guest reviews.

Here's an excerpt from The Telegraph: 'For very small establishments, such as out of the way country pubs, the effects can be devastating financially and incredibly upsetting, personally. The review sites say they have procedures for dealing with malicious reviews. But honestly, having tried these several times myself, they basically say, “Not my problem, guv” and then invite you to sue them if you want to take matters further. Answerability, it seems, is great for restaurants but not for TripAdvisor. Of course, I know that it cuts both ways. As has been widely reported, these sites are often abused by PRs and other shills for restaurants and hotels who flood them with fake positive reviews. Perhaps then, the best we can hope for is a kind of equilibrium where the idiots and trolls are balanced out by the charlatans and bribed endorsers. I suppose it’s human nature, but it’s not a very good way to find a restaurant'.

And signs that improvement may well be on the way? @tripexpert

My own tuppence? Well, when I look at any venue's TripAdvisor page and reviews, I tend to ignore the top 10% and the bottom 10% - 'get the truth and go'???, well that is perhaps somewhere in the middle of what remains!!!

The review above contains factual inaccuracies - from our own experience there is simply no point in debating with TripAdvisor, as the organisation hides behind a veil. Now we are asked for almost 6 grand per year 'for a Business Listing...???" I reply - please ask us again when you have integrity.

Specifically TripAdvisor say 'If most other reviews are positive, travellers are likely to see a negative as a mere aberration'. That is simply not acceptable. As a representative example we have a review below which mentions 'mouldy bathroom tiles', we have provided photographic proof which evidences that this is simply untrue - lies, yet still TripAdvisor refuse to even amend the review. What a complete Sham. How can any reader Trust what they read?

With my kindest regards from all at Balbirnie House.

And to all at TripAdvisor - thank you for sending over in the post - Balbirnie's 2014's Certificate of Excellence. We are however no longer displaying anything to do with your Sham organisation, until you can demonstrate integrity.

Best wishes from all at Balbirnie, Nicholas Russell/ General Manager/ Balbirnie House - 1992 – Present

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed two nights for a family wedding and had a fantastic time at this lovely place
Balbirnie is a dream venue for a wedding in such a beautiful setting and everything went smoothly on the day.
We ate in the Orangery on the evening before and had a delicious 4 course dinner, with canapes to start in the elegant drawing room.I would advise early booking as the other restaurant ( The Bistro) was fully booked on our arrival - to our advantage in hindsight!
Our standard room had a huge comfy bed, nice fresh decor and a powerful shower.
Breakfast both mornings was hot & plentiful with lots of choice of hot food, cereals,fresh fruit, etc to which you helped yourself.
All staff were friendly, polite & efficient and the whole experience was a delight.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank squidgitmidget

Well Hello SquidgitMidgit, and thank you for your 5 Star review, 'A dream venue for a wedding', - we thank you for your kindness. We are delighted that a wonderful occasion was celebrated, and isn't this just a lovely time of year for a wedding!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stopped in for lunch with friends. Went to the Bistro downstairs, found it rather small and cozy for such a large facility.

Service was good, but not exceptional. We opted for the 2 or 3 course lunch, so had prawn cocktail and fish & chips. Both wee good.

Didn't have a drink as I was driving, so can't comment on bar service.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gla_Rangers
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Hello Raffles T, and delighted that you enjoyed lunch. Sorry that The Bistro wasn't large enough for your liking, but it actually can seat almost 50 guests!?!

Many thanks for your kind comments.

A delicious Prawn Cocktail, which I hasten to add - are now served with 'revolutionary lemon squeezers', followed by beautiful fresh haddock deep-fried in light batter, lovely home-made Tartare sauce. Yours, if on lunch 'meal deal' - 2 courses for £8.95, I would like to take the opportunity to suggest that is magnificent value.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I was with friends for a meal. We were shown to a lounge given peanuts and left, not asked if we wanted drinks while we waited, we found the bar ourselves.
When we ordered our meal some of us didn't want a starter the waitress looked shocked at this. It wasn't untill some canapés arrived that one friend pointed out it looked like a set meal that you paid for 3 courses even if you didn't have them, after talking to staff this was the case. Some of our party were elderly and didn't have large appetites or large purses. We asked it to be known of our disappointment at not being advised of this.
A couple of things were incorrect at delivery of meal but put right.
We were given water at the table never asked if any other drinks required, wine list was offered at the time of ordering. Never did we get asked if we wanted more water we had to keep asking, we were not asked if our meals were ok. The food was not the best.
The service was just not what we had expected.
The property and setting is lovely.

Room Tip: I didn't mean to press cleanliness or sleep buttons that was my big fingers and it won't let...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jane40zig

Posted a very detailed response. TripAdvisor removed my reply without informing me.

Kind regards one and all,

Nicholas

Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and I staid here for a wedding we had been invited too. The wedding and the reception were great and the food was good, but, the room. immediately on entering saw a large grey stain on carpet. The bedside cabinet had a shelf support missing and was unusable. there were grubby hand prints on the wardrobe door. No mineral water was supplied. Only 2 small bath towels, 1 flannel and 1 hand towel provided. The Velux window in the en-suite could not be shut or opened further. The shower was jammed in the hot position and it was extremely dangerous, we were forced to use the bath for the duration of our stay. Unfortunately the plug in the bath had been broken and the water gradually drained away. The same problem existed with the wash hand basin. We were unable to move rooms due to the large number of guests staying.
We were given a bottle of House white and water. Also this was supposed to be a special price for wedding guests, but it was the most expensive of all our hotels on this trip.
Not at all satisfactory.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Artnut

Hello Artnut, Oh dear.

We do not have a stain on a bedroom carpet, every single bedroom carpet is brand new over the last few months! What you are referring to is in fact a burn mark from a guest's iron. Such things can unfortunately happen, and we await delivery of new carpet!!!

Water? Our tap water is perfectly drinkable, and at this time of year, with temperatures yesterday reaching 25 degrees on the south lawn, our tap water is very chilled and refreshing, via source in the nearby hills and glens of The Lomond Hills / National park.

Towels - we supply and change per length of guest stay.

Velux windows, we do not have any Velux windows which are jammed.

Value for money. We feel that in comparison to other similar properties with same industry ratings, that Balbirnie represents wonderful value.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed here recently and indeed the outside is spectacular, lovely grounds and setting. I guess for some people the country house rooms will be incredible however despite the huge size and antique furniture, the back of the bath/ shower was covered in mould as was the shower head. The room generally smelt a bit damp as a result. This is a massive pet hate of mine, as a bottle of Dettol Mould remover costs about 2.75. This is simply not acceptable when paying £275 for 2 nights in what is meant to be a top class hotel.

I can't remember the room number, I think it was 106? Breakfast was good and all the conference staff were very friendly and helpful.

I am afraid I would not recommend spending these sums of money on staying here when there are plenty of country house style hotels in Scotland ( if that is what you are in to) with higher standards at this price. There is indeed a best western with a pool and a Premier Inn nearby which would suffice at a fraction of the cost if staying here for a wedding.

Judging by some of the owners responses here I am not hopeful of change!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Edin83
Nicholas R, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Hello AJArmstrong, and we are saddened to receive your comments. Our buildings cover tens of thousands of sq ft, with the original structure built wef 1777 onwards. With miles of cabling and plumbing, and ongoing wear and tear from circa 90% guest occupancy, sometimes we can encounter untoward issues. Such is life.

Far from contemplating what we could do with some Dettol (or for that matter one of our other favourites Cillit Bang 'Bang and it is Gone') the actual issue we have faced re your complaint, is quite simply delayed maintenance. I confirm that the bathroom in question is scheduled for a complete re-tile and re-grouting which commences in 48 hours, would have been done already but tile delivery was delayed. That said, we ourselves have not at all considered that the bathroom was not fit for purpose, or it would not have been let. The grouting is perfectly 100% clean, there is no 'mould' - goodness me, but what we do have is a small section of dis-colouring, for which I offer our profuse apology.

(AJ, I'll Tweet a photo of the refurbishment works in progress during next week, please feel free to follow us @BalbirnieHouse ...)

We note no guest questionnaire, no complaint received whilst in residence, and no contact subsequently with myself, noted you have read my previous responses which asks that anyone with any 'issue' contacts me direct, and again that hasn't happened. I would have been absolutely delighted to even arrange a guided tour across every single bathroom at Balbirnie House, as you would see that your comments are in overview entirely mis-placed.

Dear Readers, should anyone wish to come and view Balbirnie's bathrooms, please let me know.

We note as well that this 'review' is mainly about a one-off section of due-to-be refurbished tiling, and for balance suggest that it would have perhaps been relevant to also discuss other parts of our services and facilities. By-the-by but there we go.

(Not for a minute would I align your good self in any such context AJ, but TripAdvisor is of course also renowned these days as a home for professional complainers, unfairly seeking repeat stays or reimbursements. Fellow Hoteliers the world over now Follow such news on well known TripAdvisor feed @TripAdvisorSham )

For all daily updates and photographs, competitions and offers, please do head on over and join The Balbirnie House Hotel Facebook page, we have more than 5,750 individuals who now receive Balbirnie’s Daily Updates, and exciting chat! This is now an accumulating historical archive of information, a celebration of life in and around Balbirnie. Our gratitude as always.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel has weddings down to a fine art. We stayed over a weekend to attend a friends wedding and the experience was a delight from start to finish.
The location is wonderful for walks and the hotel grounds are beautifully kept. Our room was spotless large and spacious and furnished in keeping with the country manor style. Very comfortable and quiet.
Breakfast was served in the Orangery, a delightful room and the buffet selection was very good and kept well stocked up.
We had a really lovely meal in the Bistro, excellent menu and very good value for money.
The day of the wedding was faultless, the wedding coordinator had everything under control and all went so smoothly with seemingly little effort. The staff are lovely, very friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble to them. I will definitely be back for a summer break.

• Stayed: March 2014

Hello Helen, and many thanks for taking the time to write such a kind review, and thank you for denoting a 5 Star summary, I will be sure to pass your comments onwards to the brigade. Delighted to hear that the wedding was faultless, that is just wonderful.

With my kindest regards from all at Balbirnie House.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
#4 of 12 in Dunfermline
Craigsanquhar House Hotel
Craigsanquhar House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Craigsanquhar

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!